Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

stowing planes indoors

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

stowing planes indoors

Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stowing planes indoors

I want to store my stuff indoors. Hanging from ceiling or from the wall. Id like to store them horizontly,,,,can you show me some ideas,,,Ive thought of angle brackets off the wall?

Im kinda at a loss on hanging them from the ceiling though-any ideas,,,Im tired of thinking about it anymore,,I want to do a neat and secure job,,,or the wife says the planes will be mounted on a stick outdoors fro garden ornamentsHELP

TAZZZZ[]
Old 10-21-2012, 01:51 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: stowing planes indoors

I hang mine nose down, some people say electrics nose down and fuel nose up. Drain the fuel well anyway. My wings are horizontal on pegs about 6" apart. You could set the fuselages under the wings that match too. I have coathanger V hooks with a bend on each end to hook on the stab. Bigger planes may not be so easy. From the ceiling, a couple wood coat hangers hung from an exposedplumbing pipe. Insert the wing in the coat hangers first. Again larger planes are a problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88261.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1813512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18233.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1813513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75235.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	1813514  
Old 10-21-2012, 04:46 PM
SeamusG

I have exposed pipes running along the ceiling near (6") the wall. A 6 foot length of good quality string tied into a loop. The loop tossed over the pipe leaving 3 feet of loop on each side of pipe. One side of loop around the backside of the landing gear. Other side of loop around the prop. Plane fuses are hung with the gear resting against the wall. I also took some pieces of vapor barrier and created a curtain just far enough from the plane's tails so that the curtain hangs straight - about 4 pieces floor to ceiling with 6" overlap. The curtain keeps the planes pretty clear of sanding and other types of airborne mess. Not elegant but it does its job.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From pipe and PVC I made up a couple of Ts and mounted them upside down from the ceiling, each T holds two planes. I also have those U shaped hooks you can buy to hang tools and hoses from a wall and hang my planes by the stab. I don't care for these all that much, you can get a warp in the stab if you leave a plane hanging too long. Wish I could cover my planes like SeamusG, the dust from building is really a mess!!! I have to clean my planes before and after I fly them!!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM
pspring
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/CRL-Anochrome-.../dp/B001Q5GQ1U
These are easy to do and come in many sizes. Held by a couple rails screwed to a wall. I put a strip of electrical tape on the top edge to keep the metal from scratching the covering. Plus, get the kind with a lip in the front so parts don't vibrate off.

Also, this idea works slick but you may think it looks a bit odd. With your plane assembled slide a metal coat hangers (the thick style) over each wing half and move them next to the body. Hang the plane on a rod or nail in the ceiling. Based on the CG of the plane you will have to move the hanger forward or aft to have it sit level. Before putting up a closet rod or pipe you can try it out on a plane by using your fingers to hold the hangers. Depending on airplane weight you may want to put padding on the wire hanger to prevent grooves but so far I have had none because the weight is distributed if the hanger bottom is straight.

See this idea to keep 'em clean! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11265925/tm.htm
Old 11-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Fs one

This is what i do

Name:	Gd93688.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1816698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70111.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1816699  
Old 11-01-2012, 04:32 PM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

This is how I store mine.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:23 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many ways to store them. I have a bunch hanging from their tails. I made the rack out of 3/4 schedule 40 PVC pipe, elbows and "tees".

Buzz.

Name:	Hf98449.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1816742   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42575.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1816743  
Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 AM
tazzzz

What is the best way to hang them,,,engine down or up,,,,any advantages to either one? Seems to me the ARO will tend to flow to one end or the other,,leaving one end dry after a while. any harm to this?
TAZZZZ
Old 11-03-2012, 11:34 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

In my opinion, typically "nose down" is the better way to ensure the oil is covering the front bearing. I fill my engines up with oil ;as much as they will take, for long term storage so it really doesn't matter if they are flat or nose down. It really boils down to the best use of the space you have to store them.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM
rexbirk

Looking at the photos I'm glad I am not the only one with more planes than I can ever use! Sometimes I think I may be a hoarder! Some of you may be too!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:43 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hoarders hoard junk!!

I hoard good stuff

I can quit any time I want. I just don't want right now. Yo use there is a sale at the local shop and I have been waiting for so long for this plane to be on sale, so I just HAVE to buy it.

Buzz.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

If you store a fuel plane nose-down, its a good technique to remove the prop and secure a baggie over the motor to catch drips. I also have newspapers under them just in case a baggie leaks.