Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

looking for a decent 3s BL set up

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 06:16 AM
JawzSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a decent 3s BL set up

Just got the sport and want to do a BL set up. I wanted to put my own set up together, which is why I did not purchase the flux. Im looking for a reasonably prices 3s BL system. I was told that the VXL system was a good one to run, however, I was also told that there are better systems out there for a cheaper price. Looking for some feed back on which direction to go...i do not race..so i do not need a rediculouse $200+ system.

thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: looking for a decent 3s BL set up

depending on how you are gonna drive (surface) the size of the model (1/10 or 1/8) and the speeds you wanna get (we talkin 40mph or 70?) there are a few options.

If you wanna drive on the street in a 1/10 model and do 40ish mph on 3s, then a leapord or ezrun system will do the job. The leapord 60a systems are $60 and the ezrun 35a systems are $80 or $85.
The con on theses systems is they do not have true 540 sized motors. They are 380 or 390 size motors finned out to a 540 size can. The fins aid in cooling and make it so they fit any car meant for a 540 motor.
These systems provide good power, but will not achieve the same torque of a true 540 motor. Thus, you cant gear them for insane speed. but 40-50mph on a 3s should be doable without overheating anything.

The other nice feature on both systems is adjustability. with onroads its nice to have adjustable punch control and breaking force.

the vxl system has lots of torque, can be geared for 70mph (maybe more) and is waterproof. It doesnt however have any adjustable features. And since many onroads dont have slipper clutches this can mean a car that doesnt hold up well or is hard to control.

Those are the basic sub $120 options (ive seen vxl systems for $120)

Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 AM
gixer1k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished a new TC4 with a SV2 Sidewinder (5700kv motor) in it. The Sidewinder was $129 and it's smoking fast on 2S, I'll need a bigger area to run before I try 3S.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:46 PM
JawzSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went with the castle element set up and some new gears.. def happy with the decision. thanks for the help