Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dx8 to futaba?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:19 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dx8 to futaba?

A code issue - for updating - a year ago-
faulty rf board - not related to updates
Why was the model loss associated with the update?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:27 PM
DEVILDOG
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dick T is absolutly correct. I fly with this guy and he just wants to switch so he doesn't have to worry about the brown out or "holding your tongue just right".

I fly JR. I told him to use 6 volt batts in leu of 4.8 and just keep an eye on things a little better. We have had ALOT of issues with planes crashing due to the sensitivity of the voltage. They have all gone to 6 volts and things are all well.

This guy just wants to go flying with a sense of ease.

I've flown JR since the 622 radio came out. I fly a 10X now. Futaba (imo) has the cloest to a bullet proof system using the FAASST system. If I was switching. I would go FUTABA. JR has just caught up with the DSMX. THEY said it would work with any DSM2 receivers, there is now a bulletin stating differantly on some receivers.

Just like when the 2.4 came out JR/SPECTRUM said it was bullet proof. So they gave all of their TOP GUN jet pilots and other pilots the new system.

20 thousand plus dollar BVM F100s (and others) were falling out the sky like bird crap. Everyone crashes but look at the scuttle butt about this very topic.

Back in the 72mhz days you may have gotten a clitch here and there but birds were'nt falling out of the skies at such an allarming rate that we have to have a forum on the topic.

TMFBIZ OUT
Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmh

Carbon prop problem?
frankly your story is a bit over the top-
Hardly. Local Spektrum owners have heard a litany of excuses from tech support before being told to send equipment in. Once there they receive new replacements with no explanation.

My favorite is from a local club's public flying event. The LHS set up a booth full of products. One of the demonstration pilots asked to fly a NIB Eflite micro Beast BNF. It was bound and set up on another sponsored pilots Spektrum transmitter. In short order it flew itself into the ground. Another NIB one was bound and checked out, launched and lasted slightly longer before meeting terra firma.

When the LHS owner later asked for replacements for defective products, a string of lame possibilities came from tech support ending with, "maybe it wasn't set up right and the pilot was not capable of flying it." No, he explained, they were set up by a sponsored pilot and the incapable pilot was Chip Hyde! He received replacements with no further comment or explanation.

Explains a lot of 'mysteries' doesn't it?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 PM
rmh

That is a lovely story-
Old 10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
clearblue
My Feedback: (5)

That is a lovely story-

What a class act! Partyline spin Doctor!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM
rmh

it was a lovely story - I know Chip and I know the little Beast - which if it was the one prior to the current AS3X version -was a handful -
It flew it'self into the ground?
really-I would suspect it was undergoing a workout.
But it sounds more exciting when one assumes the model simply quit
Really, a lovely story.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Fatam

I love the spektrum guys saying they don't have an issue. I love spektrum I've ran them for many years on ground and air but they do have issues. If you say they don't your blind by every post on any forum. If you still want to run them cool. I don't! The post was about two futaba radios, not about trying to figure out why my planes crashed. I've done my homework on the planes, I know what happened. Someone said that a brown out is not the fault of the radio, and well your right but the tx and rx are the one and same. So your saying keep the radio and buy new receivers....no! If one doesn't work why have a pretty radio that can't communicate.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

it was a lovely story - I know Chip and I know the little Beast - which if it was the one prior to the current AS3X version -was a handful -
It flew it'self into the ground?
really-I would suspect it was undergoing a workout.
But it sounds more exciting when one assumes the model simply quit
Really, a lovely story.
Would be a lovely story if it was untrue, but it isn't.

We watched Chip put on the wildest demonstrations throughout the day, manuevers on the deck that created a crowd collective puckering noise! He even precisely flew under, in and around trees on the far side of the field. To say he can't handle the Beast is silly. He did his best to keep the little birds from hitting the ground but errant radio performance won out. I think he knows the difference between dumb thumb and radio failure better than most of us.

The story about tech support response always triggers big belly laughs at the LHS.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 PM
rmh

That particular setup is short range and I would bet he was really pushing the maneuverability and altitude limit .
But again - if all you were after was a story to discredit the little Spectrum setup - You made it sound plausible.
Have you flown the Beast?
if not borrow one of the new AS3X setups or one of the Gee Bees - these are simply more fun than a barrel of monkeys . Must be why tthese little planes out sell everything else.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in two clubs and I have not seen Spektrum any worse than Futaba. As a matter of fact, crashes have come from a variety of reasons and they have been with Futaba and Spektrum. Almost in every situation that was properly researched the radio was not at fault, yet often blamed. Connectors and batteries have been the biggest culprits.

The Futaba vs Spektrum argument gets boring. One thing is for sure, if you Spektrum haters EVER want to toss your radio, I will gladly pay the shipping one way to me. I am serious about that and I will not say one word about its future operation to anyone.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: Aerocal

Richard
Some ppl simply hear what they want to hear. Its pointless to try to reason with someone who is surrounded by ''Big Shots'' at a club field. They tend to not approach a problem from the standpoint of reason.
I found its best to just stay the heck out of their way. The big problem is that many times they will band together and decide there should be a ban on a specific brand or product. At this point they generally dont want to listen to anything anyone else has to say. There is a specific psychology associated with this type of behavior. They have made their judgement. At this point the main focus becomes imposing their will upon others. Its a no win situation.

To the OP.Whatever you choose will work fine for you if you use it properly.If you know what you want then simply compare the features and price.Best of luck to you.

Good post.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Get rid of the spectrum. They're famous for the "brownouts". Its a transmitting prob they cant figure out. How many times has futaba changed they're 2.4? 0........they got it right the first time
Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 PM
BelAirBob

My Carbon Fiber Yak crashed after 4 minutes.....the ESC decided to die and I had to replace it. I know others with E-flite planes that crashed because of the ESC, but sure would have been easy to blame the radio. Hopefully, that was checked out.....

bob
Old 10-22-2012, 06:00 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: jefflangton

Get rid of the spectrum. They're famous for the ''brownouts''. Its a transmitting prob they cant figure out. How many times has futaba changed they're 2.4? 0........they got it right the first time
You might care to actually rethink your comment-
How many Futaba protocols (all non compatible) exist?)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Yeah, I'm voteing for Joe Biden, or eeerrr..Paul Ryan.... Yeah I'll tell 'em...!!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:20 PM
TimBle

Fatam,

Two pals of mine had signal loss with their Spektrum's over the weekend. One flying an Aldij the other a EPP combat warbird.

Theres a common theme...
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Tbone25
My Feedback: (4)

I owned a DX7 and a JR X9303. I liked both radios and prefered the JR. In my first airplane with the DX7, I mistakenly used a 4 cell NiCad and I payed the price for it. After that, I only used 6v batteries and never lost another airplane to a "brown out" or a lost link. However, I always made dang sure my batteries were well charged before I flew, and I even purchased a battery checker that would provide a load to the battery to make dang sure the battery was good before each flight.

But, when I decided to start flying bigger planes, 30, and 50cc airframes...I decided to make the switch to a Futaba 8FGs. I did this for two reasons, one fore programming ease, and the second for piece of mind. I still constantly check my voltage, but I have felt much more connected to my airplanes since the switch.

As an example for programming:

I purchased a GP Reactor which uses 2 servos for each aileron, 1 for each side of the elevator, 1 for rudder, and 1 for throttle. 8 servos total. With the X9303 I could not program the aileron servos without either a Y harness, which I loath, or a match box. I had not yet purchased my 8FG, so I utilized a match box for one side. The programming took me approximately 1 hour to complete. Do not get me started on the pain in the butt extra satellites....

Anyway, when I got the 8FG in, I installed a 14 channel receiver and opened up the manual. 20 minutes later, incuding the time it took to read the manual, I was done and ready to head to the flying field.

The 8FGs is butter smooth and the programming is amazing. It takes a bit to learn, but so does anything new. I love being able to assign my own channels, and name my own switches. I do miss the BNF micros sometimes, but it was a small price to pay for the quality and ease of use I gained.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Solve your problem, Get a Futaba system. Spektrum is Cheap Garbage. ( OK ,let me have it) But it is the truth!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:22 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

Solve your problem, Get a Futaba system. Spektrum is Cheap Garbage. ( OK ,let me have it) But it is the truth!!!
Agreed, thus my open invitation to send me the garbage Spektrum radios. Shipping will be paid to ship them to me. So far I have had no takers, but I do remain hopeful.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:40 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I meant let me have the abuse for bashing Spektrum not let me have that P.O.S. Tx I would'nt use that crap on a matchbox car let alone a 3000.00 airplane!!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:50 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Fatam

Someone said that a brown out is not the fault of the radio, and well your right but the tx and rx are the one and same. So your saying keep the radio and buy new receivers....no! If one doesn't work why have a pretty radio that can't communicate.
That wasn't at all what I was saying. It's very possible that you did / do have an issue. I do find it odd that so many people at one field have so many problems with one brand of radio and say that it's that radio. Perhaps those with that brand just don't understand that brand and proper set up? I've not seen one occurance at my field where there has been an issue with "brown out" from Spektrum equipment. Every time it's come up, there's been another explaination. Most of the pilots at our field fly Spektrum / JR.

My point was that without being able to identify what actually caused the incident, and perhaps I missed the part where you explained that you knew exactly what that was, it's too easy to place the fault with the radio or reciever.

I lost a plane with a 6i when I first started flying. It flew spinner first into the center of our asphault runway. Pieces everywhere! First thing out of my mouth was that I had experienced that "brown out". Once I got everything back to the house and started going through it all, turns out that a switch was bad so it wasn't radio issue at all but I would have sworn it was Spektrum's fault.

I think if you would feel better and more confident flying Futaba, then by all means you should! It would be difficult at best to fly holding a radio you weren't comfortable with. I wouldn't either so no harm, no foul. Just my preference to know what the exact nature of my crash is, if I can anyway, before coming to what could be an incorrect conclusion and needless decision.

Like I said, wish you all the luck. Oh and to Luchnia, if you find yourself flooded with trash radios, please feel free to shoot me a pm. I can help you out.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: Tbone25

I owned a DX7 and a JR X9303. I liked both radios and prefered the JR. In my first airplane with the DX7, I mistakenly used a 4 cell NiCad and I payed the price for it. After that, I only used 6v batteries and never lost another airplane to a ''brown out'' or a lost link. However, I always made dang sure my batteries were well charged before I flew, and I even purchased a battery checker that would provide a load to the battery to make dang sure the battery was good before each flight.

But, when I decided to start flying bigger planes, 30, and 50cc airframes...I decided to make the switch to a Futaba 8FGs. I did this for two reasons, one fore programming ease, and the second for piece of mind. I still constantly check my voltage, but I have felt much more connected to my airplanes since the switch.

As an example for programming:

I purchased a GP Reactor which uses 2 servos for each aileron, 1 for each side of the elevator, 1 for rudder, and 1 for throttle. 8 servos total. With the X9303 I could not program the aileron servos without either a Y harness, which I loath, or a match box. I had not yet purchased my 8FG, so I utilized a match box for one side. The programming took me approximately 1 hour to complete. Do not get me started on the pain in the butt extra satellites....

Anyway, when I got the 8FG in, I installed a 14 channel receiver and opened up the manual. 20 minutes later, incuding the time it took to read the manual, I was done and ready to head to the flying field.

The 8FGs is butter smooth and the programming is amazing. It takes a bit to learn, but so does anything new. I love being able to assign my own channels, and name my own switches. I do miss the BNF micros sometimes, but it was a small price to pay for the quality and ease of use I gained.
The 9303 has a dual aileron function - no need for other devices - it also has a dual elevator function- I had two of em - but switched to the Spektrum equipment when 2.4 became available
Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 AM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Fatam

thats not what i asked at all. if your not going yo help with my question then dont answer. i have been through each plane with a find tooth comb. running right batteries, switches, ect... even had the big shot check them out. so yes i have done my homework and am 110% over spektrums B.S. they have cost me a lot of money anf not just me but many othrr guys st my field.

BROWNOUT........is voltage issues, not equipment issues, unless we are also talking of binding servos/linkages also causing your low voltage issues in flight.

This new technology of 2.4 has caused many peoples battery maintenance practices to become under much more scrutiny than what it was with the more forgiving 72MHz systems............ Good luck........ if you had issues now with voltage, you will still have that, the equipment is only working within its peramiters.

But remember this, "you will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar".
Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 AM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

I do not believe that is a fair statement. Unless you are flying $3,000.00 aircraft with the DX5e. I own the DX18 and DX8...... both work flawlessly. But I read the directions, and many reviews, so I understand you cannot expect a 4.8 pack to be sufficient in larger aircraft, and I do not run them in anything of any size. Voltage is needed to run the advanced electronics, and once below or near the cutoff voltage of operation, issues of course will be had. But do not blame the equipment, as every major brand is all using the same/similar signaling, so it comes down to voltage requirment.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:52 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

I do not believe that is a fair statement. Unless you are flying $3,000.00 aircraft with the DX5e. I own the DX18 and DX8...... both work flawlessly. But I read the directions, and many reviews, so I understand you cannot expect a 4.8 pack to be sufficient in larger aircraft, and I do not run them in anything of any size. Voltage is needed to run the advanced electronics, and once below or near the cutoff voltage of operation, issues of course will be had. But do not blame the equipment, as every major brand is all using the same/similar signaling, so it comes down to voltage requirment.

You have to expect these "statements".
As technology increases, the ability for the public to understand it , decreases on the square.
You can't get drivers to figure out how to check oil in their cars -Why should you expect some modelers to understand what battery depression is or even how to do a simple load check.
Add to that , the tendency to blame anything which they don't understand -

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.