Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dx8 to futaba?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Dx8 to futaba?

FATAM: DITCH the dx8, I went through this exact same thing. I got a 8FGs and never looked back. Some jets I had on a dx6i for years and no problem, then got a dx8 and lost one like you did, after nearly losing a couple others. I switched to futaba, same lipos, bec, rx batteries AND NOT ONE ISSUE.

PS, Its NOT a brownout. Brownout implies loss of power, not what is going on here. What you are experiencing is a "Hold" where connection is lost for a moment. After that moment its called a lockout if it doesnt recover. Lockout just means you lost signal and could not reconnect in flight.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Fatam,

Two pals of mine had signal loss with their Spektrum's over the weekend. One flying an Aldij the other a EPP combat warbird.

Theres a common theme...
The common thread?
Timble , star reporter of second hand info
Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If just 25% of the negative reviews regarding Spektrum are true, that's enough for me to avoid it.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having witnessed about 30 airplanes all go down due to lock out / hold / "I ain't got it", I learned from others mistakes.

Personal attacks doesn't bring people's equipment or their confidence in the stuff they're currently holding in their hands.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from conversations with the guy that owns our LHS, the Spektrum outsells the Futaba about 10:1.

I've used Futaba, I've used Spektrum, I've used Hitec. They've all worked. I was using 6V receiver batteries before 2.4G even came about, I've had no great issues with any of them.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:11 AM
TimBle

If that sales ratio were true, Futaba would no longer exist
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Hill202

If just 25% of the negative reviews regarding Spektrum are true, that's enough for me to avoid it.

Yes, if they are true. How do you prove the negative reviews are true? On what basis?

A couple years ago there were more crashes at one of our field from Futaba radios than any other radios. Just because that was the case did not indicate to me that Futaba radios were the causes of the crashes. Without facts any of this is a poor indicator. Take this statement, "Get rid of all the Spektrums, they are garbage." It is mostly useless to anyone that knows about the technology.

In the past year there most have switched over to Spektrum radios and have not had as many crashes as the previous two years combined. What crashes they have had have been from mostly pilot error. Does that mean that Spektrum is better? Not hardly. Most of today's radios are very good if set up properly.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Luchnia

Having witnessed about 30 airplanes all go down due to lock out / hold / ''I ain't got it'', I learned from others mistakes.

Personal attacks doesn't bring people's equipment or their confidence in the stuff they're currently holding in their hands.

You know I had one of the "I ain't got it" issues one time. I was flying and went into a bank and lost all control - totally locked out - crappy Spektrum garbage! After a few seconds control came back - junk Spektrum radios. I immediately landed the plane. Took the plane home and went in for my fact finding mission removing all connections, disassembling the battery pack, checking the receiveer, etc. Interesting enough it was a tab on one of the batteries that had vibrated loose in that banked curve.

I wished that garbage Spektrum DX7 radio would have told me that the battery tab was loose [X(] If it had not of been for that sorry Spektrum garbage radio that would have not happened. I know that battery tab would not have come loose with a Futaba radio. [X(] What a rediculous line of thinking
Old 10-23-2012, 08:33 AM
5skyhawk172

In our club I'd say about 75% use either spektrum or JR on DSM2/DSMX.  Have not seen a brownout all this year!  We set up our planes properly.  End of story.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 AM
ron a norman
My Feedback: (14)

I have been in this great hobby since 1972 I have flown Almost every brand of radio, Was a hobby shop owner in the 80's. I personally own 6 Spectrum radios, 4 JR's and a couple of Futaba's. I have had one problem with a Spectrum. That was a bad Transmitter battery, it didn,t crash a plane I was lucky and noticed it on the ground. I have both 4.8 volt packs and 6.0 volt. All 2000 mah or higher NMIH . I have never had a brown out .I fly mostly 50cc and up gassers. I agree that the bind process is sometimes a pain, But I'll Live with that to get the model id function. My best friend and flying buddy fly's Futaba and has 5 planes on one radio, He's old like me and forgets sometimes!! OOPs. I think 99% of all the problems are user error be it weak batteries or what ever. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 AM
crash1ace

That's why I still like my 72Mhz stuff, have not lost a single plan yet in all these years due to issues like brown outs or frequency problems,etc...I'm glad I can still my brand new 72Mhz stuff
even. They will have to pry it from my cold dead hands before I convert over to 2.4 ![:-]
Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 AM
fly24-7

I always find this Spektrum/JR versus Futaba fighting amusing. I have to suspect that most everyone who pipes-up on the topic doesn't have a dog in the fight. Do you have some ownership stake in either company? Do you work for either company? Are you sponsored by either company? If you answer NO to any of these questions, then why in the world would you care about anyone else's preferences but your own?

I've used a DX6 and then a DX7 incident-free since 2006. I couldn't care less if someone else wants to switch because of problems they've experienced, either real or perceived. Their choice.

I'll go back to my popcorn...
Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmh

That particular setup is short range and I would bet he was really pushing the maneuverability and altitude limit .
But again - if all you were after was a story to discredit the little Spectrum setup - You made it sound plausible.
Have you flown the Beast?
if not borrow one of the new AS3X setups or one of the Gee Bees - these are simply more fun than a barrel of monkeys . Must be why tthese little planes out sell everything else.
No. The Beasts were within 30 feet of him when they died.

The LHS sells a lot of these and they are soon back in on consignment or in the trash bin. Too dang small for many pilots to see!

AS3X is great technology when it works.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 AM
rmh

In our part of the country - you can at least double that ratio- Why?
simply because the advent of the Bind n Fly has completely changed the models being flown - -
Don't believe it
I really don't care - it is fact - check with any local hobby shops
Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

That particular setup is short range and I would bet he was really pushing the maneuverability and altitude limit .
But again - if all you were after was a story to discredit the little Spectrum setup - You made it sound plausible.
Have you flown the Beast?
if not borrow one of the new AS3X setups or one of the Gee Bees - these are simply more fun than a barrel of monkeys . Must be why tthese little planes out sell everything else.
No. The Beasts were within 30 feet of him when they died.

The LHS sells a lot of these and they are soon back in on consignment or in the trash bin. Too dang small for many pilots to see!

AS3X is great technology when it works.
We see LOTS of em - no problems- even our friend Jesky flies em - and again no problems.
Don't know what the problems are in your area .
Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only said it was true at OUR local shop. Doubt if it's that one-sided world wide.

Contests I go to, it's probably about even, with a few hitec thrown in here and there.

Ever notice how in these Futaba vs. Spektrum threads (which pretty much any thread with a question ends up being) it's pretty much the same guys doing all of the "discussion"?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:39 AM
ktmfrank

ok this debate is very amusing.!
first i must admit that i crahsed a p-51 due to a brownout.My lack of knowledge of ni-mh battery resulted in a crash.
4.8v is not the best for spektrum. i left the plane sitting in my basement for a week and head for the flying field and crack!!! i didnt know about self discharge or did not remember!!!! hey i was back to the hobby after 20 years.DX8 was the radio.
After some research i came to the conclusion that my flight pack was not sufficiently charged.Cause back on the ground everything was fine!but when stirring the stick the receiver red  LED was flashing sauing that a brownout occured.
After my homeworks i switched all my flight pack to LIFE and all the problems are gone. my biggest bird is an aeroworks extra 300,dle20cc,5 digital servos and ignition powered by the same packs of 2200mah.After 3 flights of 7 mins it needs 440mah to top it off.
 So my conclusion is Spektrum is as good as the wiring and battery you put in your plane.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: jefflangton

Get rid of the spectrum. They're famous for the ''brownouts''. Its a transmitting prob they cant figure out. How many times has futaba changed they're 2.4? 0........they got it right the first time
Which "first time" are you talking about?

FHSS
SFHSS
FASST
FASSTest

Or do they all count as "first" because they sell incompatible versions at the same time?

Andy
Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Get rid of the spectrum. They're famous for the ''brownouts''. Its a transmitting prob they cant figure out. How many times has futaba changed they're 2.4? 0........they got it right the first time
Which ''first time'' are you talking about?

FHSS
SFHSS
FASST
FASSTest

Or do they all count as ''first'' because they sell incompatible versions at the same time?

Andy
I can't understand how their marketing guys let this happen.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 AM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Which "first time" are you talking about?

FHSS
SFHSS
FASST
FASSTest

Or do they all count as "first" because they sell incompatible versions at the same time?

Andy

Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 AM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

Solve your problem, Get a Futaba system. Spektrum is Cheap Garbage. ( OK ,let me have it) But it is the truth!!!
I do not believe that is a fair statement. Unless you are flying $3,000.00 aircraft with the DX5e. I own the DX18 and DX8...... both work flawlessly. But I read the directions, and many reviews, so I understand you cannot expect a 4.8 pack to be sufficient in larger aircraft, and I do not run them in anything of any size. Voltage is needed to run the advanced electronics, and once below or near the cutoff voltage of operation, issues of course will be had. But do not blame the equipment, as every major brand is all using the same/similar signaling, so it comes down to voltage requirment.

You have to expect these "statements".
As technology increases, the ability for the public to understand it , decreases on the square.
You can't get drivers to figure out how to check oil in their cars -Why should you expect some modelers to understand what battery depression is or even how to do a simple load check.
Add to that , the tendency to blame anything which they don't understand -
Very true.........

It makes no difference to me what anyone chooses to fly with........ it just makes me sad to think though, they cant see the forest for the trees, and realize its not the equipment....... so make a choice, but at least blame it on preference and not something that is not true.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Luchnia

I still have not had any Spektrum "trashers" offer to send me any radios. I wonder why they won't? Must be nothing to back up the Spektrum hatred....oh well maybe someone will let me pay shipping and I can pick up some of these Spektrums. If you think about it, that way others would not have them and no danger of losing a plane. [8D]
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Fatam

I lost two planes in two weeks do to the lovely spektrum brownout. Selling my dx8 and going to buy one of the 8 channel futabas. I fly .40 and .60 size nitro planes. The $200 for the price difference is huge. I can't seem to find anything as far as reviews on the 8j. Thanks guys!
Were you using the AR8000 RX.. it has exactly the same brownout voltage as Futaba..

I use Futaba, Spektrum and JR and all have been equally reliable.. IE 100% Perfect

I have the 8FG and it is perfect, but you will miss the lovely feel of the DX8... the futaba feels like a toy in my hands by comparson..

Have not had experience with the 8J, but if you are going to change to Futaba make sure the radio is FASST... the 8J is not which is a backward step from the DSMX in the Spektrum in my opinion..

A couple of vids of my radios... I used to fly equally with the Futaba and the DX8 / DX7s, but lately have been migrating most of my fixed wings to the DX7s because it just feels so much better...

I also like Spek for the BNF capability.. Check out this range test of futaba vs an ultra micro Spektrum.. the range was amazing for the Spektrum...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVIR0a9s8TE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNNljwYrmLo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEIpitzMdk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGEDBL5JXQ[/youtube]

Old 10-23-2012, 04:00 PM
kidcrashalot

I fly a JR 9503 and a Futaba 8FG. If you want to change systems 8FG is a great system. The receivers are more expensive. Something to think about if you have several planes to convert. I am not going into what is better, more better, and why you need to.......... I will leave that up to the experts. AKA non-fliers.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Luchnia

Nicely done, Rob.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.