Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Building a multirotor copter

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

Building a multirotor copter

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:49 PM
LRFitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a multirotor copter

I'm new to multirotors, and would like to build a reasonably priced multirotor that will fly with my transmitter, and by self-directed flight. I'd like to include FPV at some point. I've been reading about the HobbyKing KK2 board, but it does not appear able to interface with a GPS unit to support self guidance. What reasonably priced flight controller is recommended to work well with a GPS unit? I believe the FPV equipment doesn't have much if any interface with flight controller. but I quickly admit I don't know much about all this electronics.

I'm also not sure what type of copter is the best way to go. I've been thinkingn about a larger X4 style, but recently have read that a #8 might be better to haul all the needed electronics. Thoughts? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Larry Fitch
Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Building a multirotor copter

There's nothing "reasonably priced" about the kind of machine you want to build. The Naza board is pretty much standard for those who want GPS guidance, so that's the place to start. A quad will be fine on lighter wind days but a hex is more stable.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:17 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Building a multirotor copter

The Flame wheel comes with the Naza board and gps. The airframe is virtually free when you buy the motors and board setup. The airframe is like $50 to buy alone. Get that, learn what you can and then build one if you want. You will spend a ton more to design and build one and it won't work. Go with something like that, learn how it works and then design and build something else if you want. I think you will find that you can't even get close on price by doing it yourself.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:36 PM
opwan
My Feedback: (2)

Don't go with Naza, you'll be sorry. I would research Pixhawk, APM or Eagletree. If you're a box fly, plug and play type then Naza would be your choice. Do some research on Naza fly aways first though. You have to have a little more knowledge for the other FCs but they are worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by opwan; 10-11-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:58 AM
Unknown303

Pixhawk or APM would be my recommendation.