Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

applying koverall with WBPU

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

applying koverall with WBPU

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:03 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: applying koverall with WBPU

Probably be best for you to try it on your own and develop a personal preference
Old 04-22-2009, 08:35 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

it will feel to0 thick if you try it that way. just add in more polyc. i also have switched to an automotive acrylic sandable primer afterwards. plenty of weave fill in this way. i just roll it on with a 3" foam roller.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:49 AM
redball8
My Feedback: (128)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been experimenting with fabric, latex and polyurethane coatings for a few years, and really like the ideas in this thread.

Will definitely have to try the dress lining on my next project (Giant Telemaster), should save a few $$ over Koverall. Had the idea to get the dress lining in the basic colors I need, then could literally use it as a trim color fabric after coating with WBPU. Should be light & plenty tough. Thanks for sharing the technique, Sscherin!

I've been getting stuck on clear-coats, though. I fly glow, and in my experience water-based polyurethanes (Sherwin Williams exterior Spar urethane) do not hold up to glow fuel. Have heard solvent-based PU does but has an amber tint. Then there is Klass-Kote (solvent based epoxy) and Nelsons (moving back to Chicago, hope he remains a going concern). In the end I have settled for rattle cans of gloss or satin Lustrekote, though one needs to take care and apply light dusting coats over latex. My goal is to get "solvent-free".

Sscherin, could you recommend that brand of water-based exterior PU that holds up to glow fuel? Edit - Found what you used (Valspar water-based spar urethane) but having a heck of time locating it! May just experiment with the spar urethanes I can find.

And I see that Nelson's paint is cross-linked polyurethane. Can one just use their crosslinker in off-the-shelf WBPU? Or get the crosslinker elsewhere?