Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I think it is OK to fly FPV directly over people or houses
11.86%
No, it is never OK to fly FPV directly over people or houses
88.14%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:23 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

ORIGINAL: brandon429

Hemi, that's the fear mongering part we were talking about, not buying it. Maybe if I was a first time flyer, but ten years into slow sticking, nope, things don't go down like that. Any park flyer is taking the same risks as matt summarized. Fiftieth time I'll say it, this poll thread is not the place for these discussions, polls are yes/no.

Use the site uasnews.com as well, when laws change Patrick keegan/ Gary will be the first to report it.
10 years flying RC and you haven't progressed beyond slo-sticks? Also in those 10 years you never had any type of incident? Not buying that.
This is not your thread and you do not make the rules as to what is posted in them as previously stated by the moderator.
Your arguments , logic, and deductions are that of a child. Grow Up !

Old 10-23-2012, 04:57 AM
brandon429

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must have crashed fifteen times. It never goes down like that, hype. That's your only response walenda after i address your childish arguments, that's how you've been ever since flip flopping your stance on page one of the garage thread to follow the bulk response, angry without compromise. Your posts address nothing of the technical or legal aspect, but you had brothers to maintain the distractions with you.

Offering a redirection as to a better thread to hurl your non point insults was an attempt to keep this thread on track.

Crashes come from bad landings in the middle of the street, that's what experience shows. Since its not in line with the horror predictions of your peers, you'll deny it, who cares, all anyone has to do is go read your posts that were nothing but to fan flames. To respond, you should use the appropriate thread or start your own, but you won't.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 AM
brandon429

I challenge anyone to stop posting personal attacks, its been exhausted here.

The vote is yes no, the majority has spoken, no need to keep fighting, we disagree on a few points.

The next post that is inflammatory keeps the negativity of the thread alive. Like the garage thread, we could all stop posting now. Every insult opinion etc has been voiced.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 AM
My Feedback: (1)

if any of that actually happened vs being fervently predicted since like 2006, again we might have something. I am not arguing with you guys prudency of flying, Im saying what I do is not dangerous, and if I need to go down to a 5 oz model to lessen the risk further I will, equivalent to what air hogs weigh. then that sends us off on another tangent...repeat etc.
So no payouts in the history of ama for slow sticks? How come you guys leave out the positive data (someone is furiously checking links now)

I don't buy anyones fear scenario at 5 oz, 30oz is debatable, 5oz isnt, but you will

Lets discuss qualification statements in a more appropriate place/ie any other thread. someone start a thread titled ''stuff that doesn't belong in the poll thread'' and we'll run it there. It will wind up looking exactly like the garage launch thread, my prediction.

matt isn't all the death from above scenarios a strawman too or not.
Brandon,
You know better than most here that your style of flying is going to bring out the fear scenarios.
I still don't like the idea of flying over homes and people, especially if they are unaware of it.
On the other hand, I can recognize the fact that I too am susceptible to fear of the unknown.
This is all new to most of us here.
You, to your credit, seem to be willing to compromise on those things that would let you continue.
As long as you and the "new breed" are willing to follow the laws, or to try to change them by proving your point,
then, in the end, I'm on your side.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hemi, that's the fear mongering part we were talking about, not buying it.

That's not fear mongering, it's what happens day in and day out in this world, bad things happen to good people all the time. You could be texting back to your BFF on the way home from work or had too much to drink, forgot to charge the batts in the TX, have a lipo fail, etc. The point is that you can never know what's going to happen two seconds from now and your experience level is irrelevant. Only a fool or someone with the maturity level of an third grader would think otherwise.

Maybe if I was a first time flyer, but ten years into slow sticking, nope, things don't go down like that.

Now we're getting somewhere - absolute belief in one's ability to control any situation. Sorry Brandon, things don't work like that.

Being a responsible flyer is about having a good time, while minimizing the risks to yourself and those around you. I'm all for FPV and exploring new technologies, but since there's a grey area over that part of the hobby, maybe you should restrict yourselves to follow the AMA safety code so you don't shoot every other R/Cer in the foot with your excursions over populated areas. People these days are far too willing to ban any and everything, so we R/Cers as a community need to keep it in check. There's a reason why the military conducts it's tests in the desert....

To me and a large portion of the people posting here, all your actions and statements say is "my enjoyment of flying my FPV Slow Stik is more important than the safety and well being of anyone beneath my wings" - good attitude, that'll get you real far in life.

While you're at it, I'd pick up the phone and bump that homeowner's policy up a couple notches - you might need it - things happen, like it or not....

Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 AM
brandon429

804 its writing like that which makes someone consider compromises, yours and hemi's points are clear.

i hope you all including hemi can at least consider i will focus less on the slow stick and more on highly miniaturized flyers not considered here, the best i can do is shave weight off this practice to the point we're in a whole new ballpark so to speak. Before posting id really not considered it, the ole ss was good enough. I would appreciate meeting new technical and safety challenges.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: Hemikiller

Hemi, that's the fear mongering part we were talking about, not buying it.

That's not fear mongering, it's what happens day in and day out in this world, bad things happen to good people all the time. You could be texting back to your BFF on the way home from work or had too much to drink, forgot to charge the batts in the TX, have a lipo fail, etc. The point is that you can never know what's going to happen two seconds from now and your experience level is irrelevant. Only a fool or someone with the maturity level of an third grader would think otherwise.

Maybe if I was a first time flyer, but ten years into slow sticking, nope, things don't go down like that.

Now we're getting somewhere - absolute belief in one's ability to control any situation. Sorry Brandon, things don't work like that.

Being a responsible flyer is about having a good time, while minimizing the risks to yourself and those around you. I'm all for FPV and exploring new technologies, but since there's a grey area over that part of the hobby, maybe you should restrict yourselves to follow the AMA safety code so you don't shoot every other R/Cer in the foot with your excursions over populated areas. People these days are far too willing to ban any and everything, so we R/Cers as a community need to keep it in check. There's a reason why the military conducts it's tests in the desert....

To me and a large portion of the people posting here, all your actions and statements say is ''my enjoyment of flying my FPV Slow Stik is more important than the safety and well being of anyone beneath my wings'' - good attitude, that'll get you real far in life.

While you're at it, I'd pick up the phone and bump that homeowner's policy up a couple notches - you might need it - things happen, like it or not....

Yep I agree Hemi someone needs to grow up and face reality but we can't make that happen. The idea that a five or six ounce FPV plane ( if that's even possible, highly doubt it) is somehow better is no smarter than thinking that a slow stick won't crash because he has experience. It takes very little for someone to file a lawsuit and he would be surprised how easy it would be to sue even if his little plane caused no perceptable damage. +1 on the homeowners insurance..
Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

804 its writing like that which makes someone consider compromises, yours and hemi's points are clear.

i hope you all including hemi can at least consider i will focus less on the slow stick and more on highly miniaturized flyers not considered here, the best i can do is shave weight off this practice to the point we're in a whole new ballpark so to speak. Before posting id really not considered it, the ole ss was good enough. I would appreciate meeting new technical and safety challenges.
I think there are many of us that are not against what you are doing as long as you follow the legal aspects and also respect to others. I am very much like 804 in this line of thinking. Granted I would not fly over anyone's home without consent as it is just the way I would do it. It is not a right or wrong issue for me, just the way I roll to keep a clear conscience.

I think FPVs are very cool and yet I don't even fly one, however I am smart enough to see this is a great technology and may open many doors for the future. I can still see using FPVs for a working farm or many other endeavors. Just the small cost alone would be a huge benefit for many business people. Think about the potential to find someone that may be lost? I remember during hurricane Katrina they used RC helicopters with cameras to fly into flooding buildings to look for survivors.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:36 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What is ironic, in the real world of flying and (future FAA) rules, you are most likely to get turned in by another RC guy, maybe like all the ones you have antagonized on this thread!!

As you said the average joe blow or even cop does not know anything about this technology.

For this reason alone, I don't know why you post these things on youtube and then proudly post here for 10 pages (knowing full well the dust up it would cause), firing up the a dozen disgruntled guys that will turn you in when the rules change!!

Also, you are sure about your control, I shot a guy down on 72 Mhz flying in a park next to my garage when I first moved in, after I found out I just made sure to do my bench tests on a spare TX module so I could leave the antenna down. You don't know who you are flying over and if they have a radio on in there garage.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM
brandon429

There is nothing to turn in, not illegal.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:16 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"Future" means "not yet"
Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

If I were flying a remote control butterfly it could go into someones eye and detach a cornea. The weight, be it 5 lbs or 5 oz. is irrelevant. Your missing the whole point. You may see your risk as your own, thats your choice I guess, but every time you fly, you represent modelers all over the world, and your irresponsible behavior is seen as a being commited by reckless RC enthusiasts as a group. While I agree that FPV is pretty cool stuff, it needs to be limited to a controlled environment, not EVER over unsuspecting pedestrians. You are representing more than yourself up there, and I for one do not appreciate it. Just my $0.02

Dave
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM
brandon429

I understand that perspective.

That's not the totality of interpretation though don't lump everyone into that thinking mode. Not everyone extrapolates the action of one to a group only non thinkers, who cares what they think anyway.
There is a safe size no matter how ridiculous the worst case examples get.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
brandon429

For example, we don't watch stunt bikers on a freeway doing illegal tricks and think all bikers drive that way, people are bigger than your example.

Only when it comes to foam rc has our wildest imaginations come to life

Suddenly we're all series 6 insurance salesmen, your own worst enemy

Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: topspin

Lets see what the general consensus is about flying FPV over a populated area either day or night.

Please vote and provide your thoughs on topic please.

no, it's NOT safe!

This is like me taking my gun out back and shooting beer bottles.

Not safe (I do that at the gun range) (A place built for that purpose)

Model planes should be flown in designated areas away from people and property, IMHO

Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: topspin

Lets see what the general consensus is about flying FPV over a populated area either day or night.

Please vote and provide your thoughs on topic please.

no, it's NOT safe!

This is like me taking my gun out back and shooting beer bottles.

Not safe (I do that at the gun range) (A place built for that purpose)

Model planes should be flown in designated areas away from people and property, IMHO

Do you have teenage kids Tom? If you do it's a lot like arguing with them.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 PM
brandon429

Nah just two grown men seeing things differently. its childish to personally downgrade someone who views differently than you, but its the standard here among many.

Like when you embarrased yourself among other hams by going off on my 72 mhz setup, for pages. We didn't think you a child, just an errant know it all type
Old 10-24-2012, 01:18 PM
brandon429

Did anyone ever find in the history of ama payments has a slow stick been the cause of the claim? I figure anyone with the rote ability to make up worst case scenarios should at least be able to find that data.

I disagree with the majority due to hype, thats all. I actually want to be convinced otherwise, and I have, that smaller weights are needed to be fully safe. Not just 30oz of foam, but around ten which I can attain with todays gear.

There is no safety scenario Ive read that makes 100% of all neighborhood flying dangerous. We allow ultra light toy grade flights all day, until someone talks adding a cam, then death from above statements begin.

You overhype dangers and don't provide requested facts, thats why I disagree. Rather than responding with more personal attacks, why not just agree to disagree? Your case for claim is accepted by the majority that shows the poll in your favor. Perhaps those who didn't agree with your poll, thought similarly. A blanket statement with no detail assessment just wont do for today's technology.

To summarize:
we had two good threads on this matter...the garage lauch thread, and this poll

everyone stated their sides

some changed their minds, I have the statements captioned if needed

most didn't

We agree its not illegal where I live, insofar as all the silly links never panned out. likely there's more debate on that issue but probably not.

Most think its distasteful and unsafe

I presented some ways to make it safe, thats where we disagree.

Any more personal attacks is really not helpful, think before you type and repeat. We can just let the thread die down too, or people can keep stating why they think its a bad idea and that's perfect, personal attacks aren't part of the deal.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:38 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I haven't read any personal attacks aimed at Brandon. A lot of posters here are frustrated dealing with the antics of a child. Saying he is a grown man is rich. If he is a grown man he hasn't matured much past junior high and that's not an attack that's the facts. Just reading his responses, logic flow and debating and argument style says it all plus his responses are filled with junior high smart aleck remarks aimed at others. Any respect you thought you deserved was lost long ago. The majority here are adults  and can see right through your smoke screen.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
brandon429

Isnt it amazing guys like nitrotom can make a simple assessment and not be personally attacking? Take examples from him and the few others who simply wrote their opinion and stated it well. read my garage thread for walenda's flip flopping after the heat set in
its easy to find, as in the first four posts if he hasn't edited it. After topspins highly embarrasing foray into my antenna choices he was never called childish or a ham-in-question, let dissenters be.

look at this ama clip about FPV
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/blo...odel-aviation/

the range of responses is a near clone of these two fpv threads

people with weight restriction compliance willingness (usually the fpv guy)

people who don't even want to have it as a sanctioned flight method under any circumstance out of fear of faa regs (old schoolers)

and everything in between.

I respect the rights of someone not to like overhead fpv for any reason

We've spent time here battling legal inaccuracies moreso than the original opinion asked by the poll. Safety angles were discussed, worst case scenarios, some not even on ama insurance settlements before, its all out there and you all are fun to tangle with.

But the man who says i don't fly in parks, i don't like overhead fpv i hope it becomes illegal and i don't like your urban flight-that's respected. John asa and scale for me come to mind out of appx 300 posters so far who disagree in reason. No wrong law quotes, fake safety concerns, all real. can't debate that.
Frank you have a park flyer in your sig ergo its on
Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just look at the numbers! 88 percent disagrees with your actions. You lose, give up and move on!

There is no way that you are going to justify what you did. It was a stupid act, you got humiliated (that's why your so overly defensive), and you just don't want to admit it (still trying to save face).

Give it up and move on!!

Frank
Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 PM
brandon429

Here's two points addressed for Frank

He wrote in my thread that fpv flyers are peeping toms, pervs.

I asked him if google earth users were the same, he quit talking, till just above.

People in this poll thread who are hard to keep on subject were just the same in my thread. all very predictable.

So you are sold based on poll results of a majority...imagine if in 2005 ama made a poll that said 'should fpv be allowed at ama flying fields'

Imagine those results

But they now allow it...poll results change with time, compromise, and learning. sometimes they have no bearing on future trends.

I can clearly see what the majority wants in this poll, clear as day, we just disagree that's all...nbd.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He wrote in my thread that fpv flyers are peeping toms, pervs. I said you were the same as a peeping tom, flying around and over people's home at night !

I asked him if google earth users were the same, he quit talking, till just above. Google Earth are photographs taken from a satelite during the day. They are not flying around at night over peoples homes with a movie camera.

People in this poll thread who are hard to keep on subject were just the same in my thread. all very predictable. The only thing PREDICTABLE, is your over defensiveness of a stupid act, being too immature to realize that it was stupid and NOT realizing that you ARE NOT going to win this argument.

So you are sold based on poll results of a majority. ..imagine if in 2005 ama made a poll that said 'should fpv be allowed at ama flying fields'

Imagine those results
Here you say imagine if in 2005 a poll.....

But they now allow it...poll results change with time, compromise, and learning. sometimes they have no bearing on future trends. Now you claim a poll was taken in 2005 and the poll results changed, so now AMA allows FPV flights at flying fields.

So if we IMAGINE a poll was taken in 2005, and IMAGINE that those results were against it, but now those IMAGINED polls have changed and the AMA allows FPV at AMA flying fields.

So where did your original garage night flight take place? at an IMAGINED AMA flying field?

Face it Brandon, the popular vote is against your stunt and your reasoning. Just say, "It was stupid, I'm sorry and I must agree with the majority of the people on here that it was not the right thing to do."

Then, drop it and move on !!!

Frank

Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 PM
brandon429

There is such a micro scale possible for rc fpv that physical safety can no longer be the no stamp.

I'm simply attracted as a tech to miniaturization to gain flying convenience.

Flying fpv ama legal in a park has your plane at heights that you can now see back yards

Do you see how deep the double standards go? Having you respond to that is classic anti fpv drivel

In no way do i want to make enemies, i wanted to show a vid to see if y'all thought it was light enough yet. Guess not.
Simply looking at the time stamps in the garage thread on yours and my interaction or topspin or walenda shows why you post the way you do here.

I see the results of the majority, very clear.

If some of you saw a neighbor flying a parrot ar drone, bought from a bookshop, out above his yard you wouldn't run out and repeat this you'd probably strike up a conversation to let him know what's in your garage.

who am i kidding...no you wouldn't that's just me you w inform him on the illegalities and safety concerns and ama violations
and that you have logged his activities accordingly should he repeat. the cool kind of neighbor

Ar drones are for sale at Barnes and noble. A little item off a shelf w no purchase age limit has this much power over you guys, id be embarrassed to think such a thing. No Barnes and noble toy affects my privacy or safety, just yours.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:45 PM
brandon429

Enjoy your freedom in follow up quips to examine all degrees of ridiculousness unchecked it will be hard to outdo yourselves.

ten percent thinks you are off your rockers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.