Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Gorilla Glue

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Gorilla Glue

I always recommend that anyone that has not used this type of glue to do some experimental gluing of scraps together to see how it works.. because it does have a mind of its own.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:37 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deatonbt is correct:Just time...
Old 10-24-2012, 12:47 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

ORIGINAL: joebahl

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

Takes no more time and I don't have to hurry up because the epoxy is setting up on me while I'm trying to line up the hinges, and just so you know epoxy will not stick to nylon hinges very long wise guy! Thats why I mix it on plastic container lids and use nylon spatulas, just flex it and it pops right off. [img][/img]If you've got nothing good to say then keep it to yourself[img][/img] Really why do guys like you have to get in a thread and try to make yourself and your ideas sound so superior.
He was stating his opinion about using the stuff and or how he does things,i use it and i think its only good for foam and it is very messy . It;s getting to the point around here if you dont agree with some folks start telling you to shut up. I listened to what he had to say ,wether i agree with him or not and that was it .Every one has a different way of building things and mine is not the ONLY WAY. joe
Thank you Joebahl, hey raptureboy lighten up I wasn't critisizing you, but my experience with gorilla glue hasn't been pleasant, and that's all I'm saying
Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FIGHTS OVER............

Lighten up telling each other what you think they should post.

Read the paragraph that's over the input box again. Notice the "keep things civil" bit ........
Old 10-24-2012, 01:37 PM
dadragon

I use the brown stuff some with water only to fill voids,most of the time No water so it wont expand to much.wing sheeting made easier to have time to make adjustments to the sheet before it goes off,it is also lighter than epoxies.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 PM
gmeyer-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

I REALLY miss ZAP hinge glue I used canopy glue on my last build worked fine for the dubro hinges I used a hobby syringe I got from the LHS. I have used gorilla glue just not for hinges it seems to sand well and if you really use to much I think I cut it off with a knife then sanded it fills gaps well too. While it takes several days LAVA soap will get it off too it just takes a while that's if you don't want to use chemicals what might also help is an old mechanics trick that I have not tried myself is to get your hands really soapy DON'T rinse them off or wipe them dry let them air dry it might help keep the glue from absorbing into your skin BUT I REALLY DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL WORK. Greg
Old 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM
deatonbt

ORIGINAL: Me410

Interesting stuff, I may give it a try, thanks for the info.

Deatonbt:
For any wood to fiberglass I use a glue by PermaPoxy called 5 Min Plastic Weld. The key ingrediant is " Methyl Methacrylate "I think. It's stinky stuff and you don't want it on your skin I would think.
But it works great, and you can use it for plastic to wood, plastic to plastic also.

Tom
Thanks for the tip. I'll be gluing a servo tray in a fuselage in about a month or so.
Brian

Old 10-24-2012, 06:35 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No it wasn't his opinion. He stated it as fact, and completely shot down my thoughts about how to use the product. Read it again "Man Please, all that work for installing hinge points? use 5, 15 or 30 min epoxy, let it cure and even if it gets to the hinge joint you can snap it free, 30 years of installing hinge points always with epoxy and never a failure. Gorilla glue, dampen the surface, apply, watch for foam, pick it away, what a joke! " Big difference in sharing your ideas and opinion and just being rude and arrogant. Your right about people coming on here and not agreeing, Idon't have a problem with that, but Ido have a problem with big mouths who shoot down other peoples ideaswith their "it's worked for me for 30 years, somy way is the best way attitude. I've been in construction fro 30 years so Iknow a little about adhesives and fastening systems and Iknow that just because I've done it for 30 years doesn't mean theres not another way. Again; takes me no longer to use poly U glue and the results are excellent, but I'm always open to new ideas and I promise Iwon't tell you yours suck over mine.

Takes no more time and I don't have to hurry up because the epoxy is setting up on me while I'm trying to line up the hinges, and just so you know epoxy will not stick to nylon hinges very long wise guy! Thats why I mix it on plastic container lids and use nylon spatulas,just flex it and it pops right off. [img][/img]If you've got nothing good to say then keep it to yourself[img][/img]Really why do guys like you have to get in a thread and try to make yourself and your ideas sound sosuperior.
He was stating his opinion about using the stuff and or how he does things,i use it and i think its only good for foam and it is very messy . It;s getting to the point around here if you dont agree with some folks start telling you to shut up. I listened to what he had to say ,wether i agree with him or not and that was it .Every one has a different way of building things and mine is not the ONLY WAY. joe
Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

No it wasn't his opinion. He stated it as fact, and completely shot down my thoughts about how to use the product. Read it again ''Man Please, all that work for installing hinge points? use 5, 15 or 30 min epoxy, let it cure and even if it gets to the hinge joint you can snap it free, 30 years of installing hinge points always with epoxy and never a failure. Gorilla glue, dampen the surface, apply, watch for foam, pick it away, what a joke! '' Big difference in sharing your ideas and opinion and just being rude and arrogant. Your right about people coming on here and not agreeing, I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with big mouths who shoot down other peoples ideas with their '' it's worked for me for 30 years, so my way is the best way attitude. I've been in construction fro 30 years so I know a little about adhesives and fastening systems and I know that just because I've done it for 30 years doesn't mean theres not another way. Again; takes me no longer to use poly U glue and the results are excellent, but I'm always open to new ideas and I promise I won't tell you yours suck over mine.

Takes no more time and I don't have to hurry up because the epoxy is setting up on me while I'm trying to line up the hinges, and just so you know epoxy will not stick to nylon hinges very long wise guy! Thats why I mix it on plastic container lids and use nylon spatulas, just flex it and it pops right off. [img][/img]If you've got nothing good to say then keep it to yourself[img][/img] Really why do guys like you have to get in a thread and try to make yourself and your ideas sound so superior.
Raptureboy I just checked your bottie, it's ready nite nite
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Da Rock, I've seen far worse in these forums and never saw a moderator step in. No one being uncivil here, just sharing ideas and expressing our opinions, but I don't take kindly to someone coming on and saying my ideas are a "JOKE"and saying they suck in all so many other words. So I'm done, and to the OP I apologize for any stress I caused. Peace.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM
splinterz25

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Back to the GLUE one of the best ways I've seen this stuff used was on another site theres a guy that builds foamies
and what he did was made a pluge of the planes FUSE.

And then coverd it w/ packing tape then wraped laiers of 1/16" balsa sheeting w/ GG in between each fitting the balsa like a puzzel until the thickness he wanted.

Then wrapping it again w/ the packing tape letting it harden, then slicing it in half removing the pluge and glue the halfs back together, you then have a very hard lightweight FUSE shell. I'm sure there's even more ways to use this product.

Bruce
Old 10-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Noarf4me2

All he wanted to know was how to get it off his fingers then it gets turned into a useage issue......CALM DOWN !
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 PM
da Rock

Posts should talk about the topic of the thread. When you directly address another poster, you really should follow the RCU rule that appears directly above each input box.

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks. (RCU Policies)

A couple of posts that did not follow the above were deleted. If they were yours, please review the above rule. Also, when posts do not have anything to do with the topic of the thread, they are often removed as well.

This forum is here for discussions about Warbirds. This thread is not.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 PM
GTMUSTANGCS

I am so tired of someone asking a simple question and it turns into a "mine is better yours is not" like I remember in kindergarten. He did not ask what glue is better. He wanted to know how to get the crap off his fingers. Grow up children.
I would like to say that putting acetone or lacquer thinner on your skin is not such a good idea. It will absorb into your body and it is not healthy. In fact, if you took a urine test 10 minutes after you cleaned your hands with acetone or lacquer thinner it would show up in your urine. I would use it to get it off this time and in the future use water on your hands before it dried or wear medical gloves as suggested earlier. You could also try using an emery board used for fingernails to sand it off. good luck in your gorilla glue removal.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:52 PM
da Rock

OK, the original topic has been covered.

done