Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

nitro mod mxz newbright snowmobile

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

nitro mod mxz newbright snowmobile

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:06 AM
hurricane-fibers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro mod mxz newbright snowmobile

OK guys

Here is what I have been up to.
Well I am in the process of building 4 newbright snowmobile's
One will have a picco .21 nitro the other will have a .18 nitro and the other 2 will of course be brushless.
First here is a link to the pics.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...Z%20RC%20sled/

Now as for the nitro one I have designed a whole new style motor mount which will also be used for the brushless as well.
As you can see I have milled slots so there will be lots of room for adjustment and alinement for what ever gears are used.
There are spacers bolted to the motor mount so there is no chance of any twisting or flexing I want this to be as solid as possible.
You can see in the pictures I take a lot of time to make sure all gears line up and mesh perfectly, the wife keeps telling me I am a perfectionist LOL
I have decided to mount the motor down lower to help with the center of gravity so the sled won't be so tipsy.
All the hubs are made thicker to add more strength to the drive line.

Now for the brushless one's this is the same motor mount as the nitro just added more so the 540 size motor will bolt to it.
As you can see with this style you can use all the factory covers to hold the hood on and lights.

I made the motor mount this way so it follows the full contour of the belly to help support things better
The main drive axle has snap rings to keep the bearings in place and also to stop the axle for moving side to side.
I have a few more new updates for rear suspension and a few other tweaks also ride high adjustments and track adjustments.
So keep watching I will be posting more as the build moves on.

The gears that are used are 68 and 58 .8 pitch from a t-max.
My local hobby-shop owner still can't believe I am going with a nitro my nick-name is Brushless Bill
Thought they would never see the day I would run a nitro motor.
Don't think it will be as fast as my brusless but will see what happens.

P.S.
One of each of the sled will be up for grabs when finished just not sure what one.

If you have any questions or need any help just ask I will do my best to lend a hand.

Thanks
Hurricane
Old 02-04-2012, 11:19 AM
subcaptian

Default RE: nitro mod mxz newbright snowmobile

How much for the brushless? My REV is kinda on the small side and just wont handle the same. BTW, nice work!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:37 AM
hurricane-fibers

" subcaptian "

Not sure yet they are not done and also depends if you got motor , esc, servo ect.
I do know I have got a lot into it for all the aluminum bearings and all the time for the machine work lol
good thing I buy all my bolts, washers, nuts in baulk I always get packs of 100 pcs.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 AM
TechyJoe

Hi Hurricane

Nice work - can't wait to see them in action. Nitro may not be as fast but I think the realistic sound will put a smile on your face for sure.

P.S
I'm really interrested in how your replaced that hex main drive axle with something else. Mostly I'd like to see how you attached the spur gear and the lugged drive wheel to the new shaft (round shaft - you and I have spoke about this and is one area I'd like to fix on my own sled?). Both MXZ and Rev XP models use this hex axle. Could you give us some pics of this?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 AM
sumrcruz

hurricane-fibers I also did a nitro sled out of a new bright skidoo . I used a Traxxas pro 15 nitro engine and a belt drive system . I ran the exhaust out the bottom like a real snowmobile . I also have a little video i'll post next .In this setup I used the hex. axle it took some time but worked awesome .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87980.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	1724126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97478.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1724127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42572.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1724128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76034.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1724129  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 AM
sumrcruz

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CASmhs_wlMA&context=C3398a38ADOEgsToPDskLk aXeXPkolSYetPLylf0P-[/youtube]
Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
sokey70

Nice vid.

Hurricane - I love the new design on the motor mount and pic! You like the gears better than the belts or are they more readily available?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:38 AM
hurricane-fibers

sumrcruz

Nice work on your sled do you find it to be front heavy or tipsy?
Mine I am putting the fuel tank under the seat and I have also put the motor lower to help the weight might have to put batteries and receiver in under the seat also, want to help even out the weight.
Nice vid is that full speed ? what gear ratio you running ?

sokey70

Thanks the new motor mount has 9 bolts that hold it in place I don't think is going to move any time soon LOL
I use the gears because they are more readily available the belts I have to order through work and can take 2 weeks to get.
But I used belts right from the start like them better more realistic

TechyJoe

I have a pic just for you, now i drill out the plastic drive wheels and also drill 3 holes to bolt them to the new hub.
All the hubs have 3 set-screws to lock them to the drive-shaft I don't want anything to move cause you have to take everything apart to get at them
if you look in this post you can see what I mean.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9377006/tm.htm

Now I use snap rings to keep the drive-shaft from moving side to side and to also hold the bearings in place, i use flanged bearings on the inside of the tunnel.
I also use ground harden drill rod this way I know it is bang on for 1/4 I don't want any play in the hub after I drill it out.
Because it will put things off balance and cause it to vibrate, i want it to run as smooth as possible.
Now in the pic i show one shaft already started then how all the parts go hope this helps you out.

Now for 2 more pics first one is to show just how many parts are needed to build my sled
some have already been done, didn't think to grab a pic before i started machining them.
there is a few more parts but need to go get some more aluminum ran out.
Now there are a lot of bolts, nuts, washers, servo saver, shocks and bearings ect that go along with all this.
I think some people don't realize just what it takes and how many parts there are LOL
Also the next pic show ride height adjustment it go's from 3 inch to 4 inch now and you get a sneak peek of one of my new suspension set-ups.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:21 AM
TechyJoe

Hurricane

Thanks for the pics, are you a machinist? How do you make all those great parts?

Also

Nitro Tip:
In case you didn't know, when you go to run your nitro sled, make sure to keep the motor head warm before you try to start it or you'll have difficulty in cold weather (or start it and warm it up before you travel to your drive site). I use a small (100watt) colman partable electric heater I purchased for about $40.00 from Heartland America.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 AM
sokey70

Absolutely amazing, your work is so awesome and inspiring! Hurricane, you have a PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:04 PM
hurricane-fibers

TechyJoe

Yes i am a machinist / millwright and also technical engineer

I use to run nitro many years ago, yes i will keep the engine warm before I start it thanks for the tips.
If you need a new drive shaft or just want to go with this style joe let me know we can work something out

sokey70

As for the pm yes still the same

thanks
hurricane
Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 PM
sumrcruz

Hurricane

Yes the front is a little heavy but I did stiffen up the front shocks ( put more shims on the shocks ) . I also have a lead brick in the back of the sled under the seat . I was thinking of putting the gas tank back there but didn't want to do the long run do to stalling . Got to watch the height between the engine and tank .Try to keep it level .As for the gear ratio I have to get back to you , I'm using a belt drive system .As for full speed not even close , thats just a tap here and a tap there . Want to brake the engine in a little . Once we get snow i'll do it .STILL WAITING FOR SOME SNOW .
Old 02-10-2012, 05:16 AM
TechyJoe

Adding a little toe out on the front skis will help prevent some rolling.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:38 PM
hurricane-fibers

OK guys I have little video for ya this time its on-board the sled with my gopro cam
now I am only using a 3 cell lipo just waiting for my new 4 cell's to come in.
I can't get any traction as the snow is hard packed from the snowplow so it's like trying to drive on ice.
I can't even get close to full throttle just starts to slid everywhere.
Every time you see it point to the sky that's when the ski's are off the ground I even get it to float a few times but start's to go all squarely on me.
I will get better video soon.

You know I almost forgot just how much fun this thing is.
The grin factor is just the best, especially when people see it and say that's cool then I hit WOT and
there jaw hits the ground an say holy $#@%$ that thing is fast

well here's the vid

AND TRUST ME IT GO'S A LOT FASTER THEN THIS

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_igYh0aEU[/youtube]
Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 AM
subcaptian

Wow, impressive. Can't wait to finish mine. The projects been put on the backburner for a while, getting my real dirtbike ready for summer.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 PM
TechyJoe

Looks like Hurricane is having great fun. Still no snow here so I'm also reverting to summer projects. Off topic - I just bought a new mini ducted fan jet (EDF) from Great Planes (F86) and can't wait for a calm day to fly it.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Brushlessed
My Feedback: (2)

I'mdoing this project also. You should stud your track with pushpins.
I just crahsed my plane due to wing spar faliure, my 3D foamy needs to be resoldered, and I don't have a motor for my Cirrus SR22 Turbo, because I was trying it in the plane that had the spar faliure, so thats broken too.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 AM
hurricane-fibers

alex I have studded the track but I am running to much power lol
so no matter what I do it spins the track
Old 02-26-2012, 06:30 PM
hurricane-fibers

Ok well I have had a lot of people asking me about the rev xp so here is what I have gone an done today.

now these are just the test drive's for both the rev-xp and the mxz i'm going to put some relief notches in them yet and end plates to help guide the track
and help if any snow get's in there.
I am also waiting to get a new 1/4 ball nose end mill so I can make the slots deeper these were done with a 3/16 end mill but as I say its just a test.
the new tool I got is a indexing rotary table this is what i needed for making the slots perfectly spaced around the pulley.
So I guess let's see what I can do with this smaller sled I got some really good idea's for it but you will just have to wait an see as it gets built.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:32 AM
sokey70

Any update on the RevXP parts?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:34 PM
subcaptian

Just for the sake of saying, as the snow falls more, I'll be working on mine more. Still ironing out the rear suspension if andbody's interested.