Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

kit vs rtr

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
JTANK78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kit vs rtr

im looking at the ae b 4.1 rtr, im told buy a kit... if it were your money what would u do! i like rtr because its simple, i however like rtr because i get to know the set up???? lost guy needs help
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: kit vs rtr

I would prefer a kit that I could assemble myself. You will learn more about the car if you are the one who put it all together. I'm sure it will come with a good set of instructions that will tell you everything you would need to know about it. You do need to be somewhat mechanically inclined to get into this hobby. otherwise when something breaks you may not be able to fix it.

Just my .02
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of rtr, why u ask?

There is allways something not done correctly. If u put it together your self, u know every bolt is tight, the shocks are filled correctly and have the same rebound, the slipper is adjusted correctly, gear mesh is right, no dodgy e clips, no binding steering and suspension.... I could go on for ever.

The most important thing with new Rc cars..... They are built with love and correctly
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I'm not a huge fan of rtr, why u ask?

There is allways something not done correctly. If u put it together your self, u know every bolt is tight, the shocks are filled correctly and have the same rebound, the slipper is adjusted correctly, gear mesh is right, no dodgy e clips, no binding steering and suspension.... I could go on for ever.

The most important thing with new Rc cars..... They are built with love and correctly
I have to agree. Not only would I prefer a kit because I enjoy building, but almost every RTR I've bought had something wrong somewhere. Often times, they leave burs on the shock pistons and there is barely any grease in the gearboxes and/or diffs.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this time it DOES NOT MATTER! Here is what is EXACTLY going to happen, mark my words:

You are going to buy an RTR because it is more convenient. You will open the box and ooooo~aweeeee all over it. You will fuel/charge it, install batteries, do a quick sytems check, and go run it. Somewhere in the first run, something will loosen,strip,break, of fall off. IT WILL RUIN YOUR DAY! So, you'll find out what happened and after getting new parts/fixing the problem, you will then do a more involved check out of the vehicle. Then you'll run it and somwhere in that next running something will loosen,strip,break, or fall off that you seemingly overlooked. Now you will be pissed off and wondering why the hell you invested so much time and money into this. IF you stay with it, you will finally understand what the people on this forum were saying and warning you about. You will at that time completely tear it down to it's bare nut,bolts,parts,etc... You will find things that could have been future issues, you will loctite every metal~to~metal screw and grub screw. You will have a better knowledge of how the thing ticks and when it goes bad again, you will know where the problem lies. You will wonder why you didn't do this in the first place.

IF you ever bought another RTR, you probably will just tear the thing down to it's bare nuts,bolts,parts,etc... And at that time you will realize you are now more knowledgeable of this hobby and you are in fact hooked on it!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: pcarluvr

At this time it DOES NOT MATTER! Here is what is EXACTLY going to happen, mark my words:

You are going to buy an RTR because it is more convenient. You will open the box and ooooo~aweeeee all over it. You will fuel/charge it, install batteries, do a quick sytems check, and go run it. Somewhere in the first run, something will loosen,strip,break, of fall off. IT WILL RUIN YOUR DAY! So, you'll find out what happened and after getting new parts/fixing the problem, you will then do a more involved check out of the vehicle. Then you'll run it and somwhere in that next running something will loosen,strip,break, or fall off that you seemingly overlooked. Now you will be pissed off and wondering why the hell you invested so much time and money into this. IF you stay with it, you will finally understand what the people on this forum were saying and warning you about. You will at that time completely tear it down to it's bare nut,bolts,parts,etc... You will find things that could have been future issues, you will loctite every metal~to~metal screw and grub screw. You will have a better knowledge of how the thing ticks and when it goes bad again, you will know where the problem lies. You will wonder why you didn't do this in the first place.

IF you ever bought another RTR, you probably will just tear the thing down to it's bare nuts,bolts,parts,etc... And at that time you will realize you are now more knowledgeable of this hobby and you are in fact hooked on it!
that isn't all RTR's...
For the record I've had kits missing parts, malformed parts, wrong parts, or even wrong instructions included in the kit (last 2 were for a kit airplane I got fed up with and threw out). So its not 100% the kit way either

Then again I've had excellent kits from some places that gave so many extra parts it wasn't funny so if 1 or 2 were malformed you wouldn't notice. I've also had RTR's that ran great from the get go(with lil to 0 work for a while) as well as some that the electronics burst into flame 10 secs into running...
Old 10-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Haddi Taha

generally rtr electronics suck, especially servos and not everyone needs another radio. Usually RTR stuff are assemble poorly too.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

I've, so far, have bought only RTR's and have had no problems, electronics or otherwise. I understand how everyone on that it teaches you all about the vehicle but at some point, whether it's a kit or RTR you will completely strip it down. You basically have to get what you feel the most interested in. Do you want to get it and put it together with your own personal touches or do you want to get it, have it running with minimal effort and worry about personal touches and adjustments later?

One factor could also be cost. It generally costs more to buy a kit since you are probably going to put better, higher end parts in it.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

generally rtr electronics suck, especially servos and not everyone needs another radio. Usually RTR stuff are assemble poorly too.
true some of the included stuff is piss poor like the ESC's HPI has been including in some of their RC's, but then again the HPI Wheely king the electronics are more than up to par. ITs kind of a toss up actually. Servos wil agree majority of times they are poor.

There is one kit by kyosho I can not for the life of me figure out why it costs more than the RTR as they both include the same exact plastic parts(bodies even painted in the kit), except the rtr has a radio servo esc, and motor included
Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 PM
JTANK78

WOW THIS HELPS ME MAKE MY DECISION... THANKS A TON GUYS
Old 10-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Haddi Taha

However if u like the electronics in the rtr then by all means get it, just make sure you make sure everything is assembled properly before your first run. I purchased a Thunder tiger mt4 as it is tough, no upgrades required and the electronics it come with a great (besides the servo).
Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 PM
racin rebel

What's a good set-up for a new TC4?, Will the SV2 5700KV with 2or 3s get up to 60-70mph??, and what gearing should be used?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: racin rebel

What's a good set-up for a new TC4?, Will the SV2 5700KV with 2or 3s get up to 60-70mph??, and what gearing should be used?
You'd probably get better responses by making a new thread instead of hijacking Jtanks thread. There is an onroad section too.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_475/tt.htm