Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Which large P47 thunderbolt?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Which large P47 thunderbolt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:33 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which large P47 thunderbolt?

So I've finally decided to pull the trigger on a large warbird and have narrowed it down to two choices: TF GS P47 (ARTC) or the Meister Scale P47 (FG fuse)...

I'm looking for feed back from any of you guys that actually have experience w/ either, or preferraby, BOTH these airplanes? They each have they're pro's and con's from what I can tell... but I just can't decide? I don't want a bubble top, so either would have to be modified to a razorback version. I'm planning on the Evolution 80 in either plane? Big Thanks

Z
Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 PM
john534

Default RE: Which large P47 thunderbolt?

BIG fan of the Thundebolt also How about a Ziroli..... Yes mine is a bubble, but they have the parts to convert it to a razor....
-92" wood wing
- FG fues
- Sierra gear modified w/Down and Locked E gear
- Evolution 80 with a Belt reduction swinging an 28" 4 blade on a tuned pipe in side the fues....

Not to big, not to small, I am hoping to run over to the other side of the mountains where the sun is still creeping around in the next week or two for a test flight.

Best regards,
John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57393.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1814859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68558.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1814860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13124.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1814861  
Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 PM
jzuniga

Yes... I almost forgot John... Ziroli with a FG fuse was the other one I was looking at.. I basically am looking for a pretty scale outline, sturdy airframe, but most importantly Great flying T-bolt ;-)

BTW, beautiful job on your Thunderbolt! would love to check it out in person someday...

Thanks

Z
Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Dash7ATP

Not too shabbby!  Good luck on your maiden!

Dash

Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There's a really big difference between the TF and Meister. Size being the most important. The 80 is really to much for the TF. It's probably ok for the Meister. Much more work on the Meister.

Both fly great. Nearly all P-47's fly well.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 PM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

I have both and both are great machines. But TF and Meister is different classes...

I would suggest you Meister. Maybe this my topic will help you in making decision...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10794600/tm.htm

Best regards

Mirce
Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 AM
jzuniga

Thank you Mirce...

I read your whole build thread and your build inspired me, that is the main reason for wanting a Meister ;-)... beautiful work!

Z
Old 10-26-2012, 04:46 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

I'm building the TF GS 47 as we speak, here are a few things to think about....
I have had my kit for some years, while I am enjoying the build and making all the changes to make it more scale, I wish it was bigger...

This is a big one..
I just ordered my new robart electric gear for the plane, $459.00 for the mains and $189.00 for the tail wheel.. Now the price isn't crazy, but the fact that they won't fit the bigger P-47's like the Meister or the Ziroli has me thinking I will take a bath on them down the road...
When I purchase stuff for a project, I like to think ahead.. If the plane meets the ground, what can I use the parts for, IE motor, retracts, servos and things like that...
So with this plane, the retracts are pretty much for a TF P47.. But on the other hand, the TF P-47 is still pretty popular, so I am sure I could sell parts if the ground thing ever happens...lol

Ok, After all that I don't think I gave you any advice.....

My vote is for the Meister, followed by the Ziroli and then the TF....

Jimbo
Old 10-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

You can see some substantial savings from Tower on these items by joining their super saver club. 50 off the mains, and about 20 off the tail. I don't work for them, but I do like getting the best deal I can.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:29 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Lifer

You can see some substantial savings from Tower on these items by joining their super saver club. 50 off the mains, and about 20 off the tail. I don't work for them, but I do like getting the best deal I can.

Thanks for the tip.. I order all my stuff from my LHS to do my part to make sure I still have a LHS..lol
He honors towers price on stuff and has given me some crazy good deals in the past..
But Like everyone else, we have to save where we can, me included....
Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 AM
jzuniga

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

I'm building the TF GS 47 as we speak, here are a few things to think about....
I have had my kit for some years, while I am enjoying the build and making all the changes to make it more scale, I wish it was bigger...

This is a big one..
I just ordered my new robart electric gear for the plane, $459.00 for the mains and $189.00 for the tail wheel.. Now the price isn't crazy, but the fact that they won't fit the bigger P-47's like the Meister or the Ziroli has me thinking I will take a bath on them down the road...
When I purchase stuff for a project, I like to think ahead.. If the plane meets the ground, what can I use the parts for, IE motor, retracts, servos and things like that...
So with this plane, the retracts are pretty much for a TF P47.. But on the other hand, the TF P-47 is still pretty popular, so I am sure I could sell parts if the ground thing ever happens...lol

Ok, After all that I don't think I gave you any advice.....[img][/img]

My vote is for the Meister, followed by the Ziroli and then the TF....

Jimbo
Good points on the size and useability of parts down the road MM40...;-)

Z
Old 10-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Agreed. I support my lhs as well, usually in buying the large arf's, because I don't have to cover the shipping cost. He can usually match Towers best deals. Hardware, engines, etc. is usually gotten from Tower. Hardware, paints, covering, et al comes from the LHS.

I have several sizes of P-47's. Not as good looking as some other fighters, but the most well-mannered airplane I have ever flown on landings! In all cases, I use at least 45 degrees of flap with a little down elevator programmed in to keep the nose down and prevent a stall. A buddy caught one of my flights and put in on Youtube. 4 landings that day and he videoed the only one that bounced! Have a look at "John Whitsitt P-47."

My next one will be the TarHeel Hal this winter. I have gathered all the servos, batteries, switches and retracts. Just waiting for it to get too cold to fly in Missouri. (Soon!) Current P-47's are the 65 and 80 inch Hangar Nine's and the TF .60-size with a DLE 20, which really scoots.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM
jzuniga

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Agreed. I support my lhs as well, usually in buying the large arf's, because I don't have to cover the shipping cost. He can usually match Towers best deals. Hardware, engines, etc. is usually gotten from Tower. Hardware, paints, covering, et al comes from the LHS.

I have several sizes of P-47's. Not as good looking as some other fighters, but the most well-mannered airplane I have ever flown on landings! In all cases, I use at least 45 degrees of flap with a little down elevator programmed in to keep the nose down and prevent a stall. A buddy caught one of my flights and put in on Youtube. 4 landings that day and he videoed the only one that bounced! Have a look at ''John Whitsitt P-47.''

My next one will be the TarHeel Hal this winter. I have gathered all the servos, batteries, switches and retracts. Just waiting for it to get too cold to fly in Missouri. (Soon!) Current P-47's are the 65 and 80 inch Hangar Nine's and the TF .60-size with a DLE 20, which really scoots.
That's what I hear from lots of peeps... the p47 is a sweet flying airplane. My only experience w/ one is the alpha models one, and it flew real nice ;-)
Some airplanes are just like that... like the Extra. Every extra I've ever seen fly, fly's beautifully..

Z
Old 10-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I f you want a RTF I could sell you this one? Ha ha .........the plane silly!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36161.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1815096  
Old 10-26-2012, 04:54 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you may have seen my TF GS P-47 fly at the MRRCS field, Jaime. I've been flying it for 3 years and still love it. Karl Hibbs says it's the best-flying of all the TF GS warbirds. Mine has a DLE55 and Sierra gear. Mike.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Mk23socom

ORIGINAL: Scott Prossen

Anyone with the room, buy this one.. its an effing beast and sounds and looks about as close as you can get to the real thing.. truly orgasmic..

Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 AM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

I am pulling stuff together for a Ziroli 92" razorback build. You are right about the gear, it is over 1000.00 to buy them and electrify them. I found some nice Sierras here and a DA a DA85 to go into mine. I liked the in between size. Big enough to scale it out but not so big as to be a difficulty to transport.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:07 AM
adjc1c2

You should choose from one of three.....Vailly Aviation, Ziroli, Meister. I just finished Vally Aviation. Pictures will be forthcoming. The larger warbirds are easier to fly. Make sure you have enough power as I have seen under powered warbirds go in on takeoff.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:00 AM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Best of all P 47 is Meister Scale Thunderbolt with Moki 150... Awesome combination...
Old 10-27-2012, 07:50 AM
jzuniga

ORIGINAL: Scott Prossen

Beautiful Scott! prolly a little more than I wanna spend right now though

Z
Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 AM
jzuniga

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

I think you may have seen my TF GS P-47 fly at the MRRCS field, Jaime. I've been flying it for 3 years and still love it. Karl Hibbs says it's the best-flying of all the TF GS warbirds. Mine has a DLE55 and Sierra gear. Mike.
Yes Mike, I have... love the P47!

You and Karl are the one's that kinda got me on the warbird kick, since you guys seemed to have so much fun w/ yours!

Z
Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 AM
jzuniga

ORIGINAL: mirce

Best of all P 47 is Meister Scale Thunderbolt with Moki 150... Awesome combination...
This is why I'm leaning to the meister... I can fly it now with something more reasonably priced and at a later date, when the time is right, a MOKI!!!!

Z
Old 10-27-2012, 02:19 PM
curtusua-RCU
My Feedback: (91)

Jimbo...

I do not see the Robart electric retracts (mains) available for the TF giant scale P-47 available anywhere. Are you referring to the set made for the new Hangar 9 P-47?

Thanks...

Curt

Old 10-27-2012, 05:02 PM
jzuniga

Ok... the Meister it is
Thanks all

Z
Old 10-27-2012, 05:17 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Jaime. Contact Steve M. in the MRRCS. He has a Meister P-47 kit and can help you with sources for the various stuff you'll need and also kit cutters. Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.