Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

HK Clipped Wing Cub 4 stroke engine size?

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

HK Clipped Wing Cub 4 stroke engine size?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 AM
skypiratescotty
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HK Clipped Wing Cub 4 stroke engine size?

Hello
I have a Hobby King clipped wing cub (63" ws) I want to put a 4 stroke on. The instructions call for a 35 size brushless motor but I'm going glow. I know there is some beefing up to do and all I have on hand is a Saito 45. I just don't know if it is quite enough? Plane should come out around 5lbs so I think it would need a 61-70 4 stroke. Any ideas? I want plenty of power for big tal stall turns and short take-offs......

Scotty

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Ply_ARF_.html
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: HK Clipped Wing Cub 4 stroke engine size?

I think the Saito 45 should do a ncie job of flying it in a scale like manner.

if you want more power, then go higher.

Bill S.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:10 AM
skypiratescotty

Well, finally the busy summer season is over and am moving ahead with this project. I have aquired a Saito 56 Golden Knight and spent the morning CA-ing the forward section of the plane. Digging around in there I was really surprised how beefy this plane already is considering it is intended for e-power (eecchhh)! I have cut and shaped re-enforcing firewall and will epoxy it to original then paint with thinned epoxy, hopefully have engine mounted this afternnon.

If anyone is interested I can post pics of progress or just save pics for the end. Just let me know what u wanna see!

Scotty
Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 PM
ckreef

We want to see pics of the progress as you move along with it. That way we can live vicariously through you with this project
Old 10-27-2012, 07:59 AM
skypiratescotty

Alrighty, here we go!!
1) I grind and sand off the e-box already built into the firewall. Then I went inside and hit every joint/seam I can reach with medium CA ( Lock-Tite Superglue).

2) Drill the glow engine mount holes in secondary firewall, then transpose those to original fire wall.

3) Seat the Tee Nuts ( Blind Nuts) in original firewall. I do this before I epoxy the secondary firewall on so that I have more access with my fingers. You could do it afterwards if there is good access to the inside of firewall once the second firewall is epoxied on.....

Got to head to work for a little while but should finish firewall this PM

Scotty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78665.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1815271  
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 AM
skypiratescotty

This one pic per post is dumb!!

Name:	Sq47744.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1815274  
Old 10-27-2012, 08:03 AM
skypiratescotty

Third......Next I will epoxy both firewall together, then paint with 50/50 epoxy alcohol mix. Let dry overnight
Old 10-27-2012, 08:04 AM
skypiratescotty

the pic didn't attach.....

Name:	Qo39441.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1815275  
Old 10-28-2012, 07:52 AM
skypiratescotty

epoxy the two firewalls together then paint the new firewall with epoxy/alcohol mix....

that's about it. install engine mount and engine. not much to it really. should be in the air Thursday.
Oh, I decided on a Saito 56 Golden Knight that I got dirt cheap

Scotty

I'll prolly wait on pics till after I'm done because the rest id simple ARF assembly

Name:	Ig11364.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1815558  
Old 12-09-2012, 05:06 PM
skypiratescotty

Had to put things on hold for a little while but finally got to maiden today. I ended up putting an ASP 61 4-stroke on it and glad I did. No way is it too much engine. Take-off is scale like at around 1/2 throttle and plane chugs around at about 1/3 throttle. Full throttle vertical isn't anywhere near unlimited but more like just about enough. Granted I am running the engine rich and it is brand new so the ring isn't seated yet so power should increase over time. Today was the first three flights so it was trimming out, then basic aerobatics and touch-n-goes to get a feel for landing characteristics. Take-off run is maybe 30-40 feet at 1/2 throttle and it almost lifts off on it's own, big loops from level flight are easy, rolls are nice and stall turns look awesome!

Downside.....the stock landing gear sucks!! Even with perfect landings the weak wire gear bent each time to the point by the end of third flight it just gave out. I would recommend Sig 1/6 scale wire gear or since I'm not too concerned with scale appearance I'm just gonna bolt on DuBro 30-90 size fiberglass. Only cuz that is what is at the LHS.

Scotty

Name:	Ec89113.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1828330  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 PM
skypiratescotty

So if anybody else assembles this plane, different landing gear is a must! Even with somewhat gentle landings, the stock gear, while looking awesome, just plain suck. I painted and put on DuBro Heavy Duty 30-61 size fiberglass gear and t-g's and landings are sweet & slow...... also some sponsorship stickers won't hurt. One other thing to be aware of is the stock cowling is super flimsy fiberglass that cracks if you just look at it wrong. I can foresee 1/6 scalle SuperCub cowling from FbgSpec in the near future.

A little off topic but for the critter lovers out there, my hound only gets to run around at the field when nobody else is there and gets put in the truck while any props are spinning.....also, all poo is immediately bagged and placed in the trash.

Scotty

Name:	Lj23370.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	1829992