Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

dual strut nose gear for trainers

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

dual strut nose gear for trainers

Old 10-27-2012, 03:18 AM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual strut nose gear for trainers

About 2 years ago, I built a 60 size trainer with a Saito 91 in it & I also put 275 l.e.d. lights in it to fly at our night flys through out the year. I had problems with the nose gear always bending, or folding over when landing after it settled on the ground for the roll out. My local hobby shop had a dual strut nose gear on his wall, so I bought that & have never had a problem with it after that. Now, i am helping a new student with their trainer & no one can find where to get that, or an equivilent dual strut gear for the nose on a trike set up. Not even my hobby shop. Anybody here might know of a place? The cost of props on landings will kill the enjoyment for this guy. Thanks for any help. Bill
Old 10-27-2012, 05:53 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: dual strut nose gear for trainers

It is likely what you had was a fults gear produced in many variations I beleve and still avbaliable from tower.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70604.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1815204  
Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What kind of field are you flying from that bends nose gears after landing? If it's bumpy or has potholes, a bigger front tire should improve things. There's obviously nothing wrong with going to the fults gear but that's substantial money spent for what it does. Nose gears really should have much stress on them if piloting technique and wheel size for the field are right.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 AM
JohnBuckner

The issue may be moot as I just searched and scrolled through all the gears at tower and it appears they are no longer there, sad seems everything is dropping like flys.

Anyway mildbill I am sure what you are looking for is a Fults and they show up frequently in old modelers stashes so check around. I too happen to have another pair beside the pictured one in one of my stashs that is waiting for just the right airplane and application

John
Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can buy Fults gear from Fults:

http://www.fultslandinggear.com/

Wonderful for trainers, and they last forever, or close to it. I've had one on three LT-40's that are my club's trainers, and I put one on a Kadet Senior as well.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:05 AM
JohnBuckner

Ah good news Al and glad to see they are still around they are indeed an amazing variety of solutions for some airplanes and some missions. The mission definately is what counts.

John
Old 10-27-2012, 06:36 PM
MILDBILL-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On these trainers when power'd by a 4-stoke, they have ground clearance problems due to the larger props. this tends to make the single struts kind-of tilt to one side more than the other when turning in the opposite direction. most times it falls, tilts, or bends to the right while turning to the left. They do not bend the wire, but merly do not support the sideways loads as well as shorter struts with 2 stroke engines. Take off & slower taxi-ing around is not too bad, but landing speed is enough to tilt, or bend to the right just with the drag of the wheel in the grass due to the extra hight so the prop clears.