Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Are Chinese made Super Tigre engine parts compatible with the Italian made engines?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Are Chinese made Super Tigre engine parts compatible with the Italian made engines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:47 PM
abelard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are Chinese made Super Tigre engine parts compatible with the Italian made engines?

Don't ya just love that ISO 9001 thing?
Dang, here I am retired and that ISO9001 **** still won't go away...;-(
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM
abelard

Default RE: Are Chinese made Super Tigre engine parts compatible with the Italian made engines?

Really all about the same, just the use of terms are different.
What they are is Scientology for corporations...
Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 PM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Just to get back to the main reason I started this thread...

I just downloaded the Super Tigre Engine Parts Book v1.0 and noticed that the new Chinese version of the .61 Ring Engine now uses a one piece crankcase. The older Italian version I have has a two piece crankcase. So now I'm wondering what else it different between these two engine, and if anything is compatible between these two engines?

If they did transfer all the tooling from Italy to China, they must have changed the engine design before transferring it.

Mark
Old 10-24-2012, 06:40 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3D Romeo

I just downloaded the Super Tigre Engine Parts Book v1.0 and noticed that the new Chinese version of the .61 Ring Engine now uses a one piece crankcase. The older Italian version I have has a two piece crankcase. So now I'm wondering what else it different between these two engine, and if anything is compatible between these two engines?

If they did transfer all the tooling from Italy to China, they must have changed the engine design before transferring it.

Mark
The ST engines with removable front housings are S series engines, and the newer one-piece crankcase engines are G series engines. The G-series replaced the S-series engines, with the main difference being no more machined cylinder heads and the one-piece crankcase. The S-series engines are slightly stronger than the G series engines are.

This [link=http://www.supertigre.com/parts/xr11003464.html]Link[/link] will show that most parts in the S61/S61K both ring and ABC will interchange with the current and past production G61 engines.

If it were me, I'd try to source NOS Italian parts for an Italian made engine. Especially if you are getting a new piston/liner. The Chinese liners are slightly larger than the Italian liners are so when you get piston rings (from Frank Bowman, for example) you will need to know if its an Italian liner or Chinese liner.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Mark
The ST engines with removable front housings are S series engines, and the newer one-piece crankcase engines are G series engines. The G-series replaced the S-series engines, with the main difference being no more machined cylinder heads and the one-piece crankcase. The S-series engines are slightly stronger than the G series engines are.

This [link=http://www.supertigre.com/parts/xr11003464.html]Link[/link] will show that most parts in the S61/S61K both ring and ABC will interchange with the current and past production G61 engines.

If it were me, I'd try to source NOS Italian parts for an Italian made engine. Especially if you are getting a new piston/liner. The Chinese liners are slightly larger than the Italian liners are so when you get piston rings (from Frank Bowman, for example) you will need to know if its an Italian liner or Chinese liner.

The ring groove in the piston is different (thickness of ring), not the diameter of the cyclinder.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Iflyglow

The ring groove in the piston is different (thickness of ring), not the diameter of the cyclinder.
Frank Bowman told me the Italian liners have a larger bore than the Chinese liners do. He made no mention of ring grooves being different sizes. I do not know if this pertains only to certain ST engines or if its all of them.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 PM
3D Romeo

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Mark

Thanks for the info, and the link!

I remember the change to the 'G' series of engines around the time they started making them in China. But I forgot they use to be the 'S' series before that.

Mark
Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bax,

I've always wondered why the Tower 40 disappeared. It was superior in quality and running characteristics to the OS 40 FP. Even the Thunder Tigre 40GP was in my opinion superior to the OS40FP.
There were rumors that Great Planes was kind of coerced to drop the engine by one of your larger engine manufacturers. I doubt that but I can't fathom that it was dropped for lack of sales. The Tower 40 is still readily bought when one appears on the various forums. As your well aware all of the parts of the 3 mentioned engines are interchangeable and the OS benefitted by some parts swapping.

Dennis
Old 10-26-2012, 05:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember the change to the 'G' series of engines around the time they started making them in China.
Not sure what you are reffering too. Maybe the switch from the round cylinder S series back to the G series they originally had from the 60's? But that was probably a decade before Hobico bought them out and had the tooling shipped to China.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:16 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The current SuperTigre "G"-series of engines were designed and produced by SuperTigre in Italy before production moved to China. The Chinese-made versions are identical to the Italian-made versions in most cases. However, some development was done on a few of the engines and carburetors to improve handling. The parts, though, are fully-interchangeable.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:52 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have an old Magnum GPA40 you can take out the good chrome piston and liner and replace the one in your crappy nickel plated OS40FP .
I bought one from my buddy Bruce at Brucercengines.com and swapped it out in mine. The rpms stayed the same so the port timing is aparently identical.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 AM
3D Romeo

Not that this has anything to do with the reason I started this thread (Super Tigre engine compatibility)...But...

The first engine I bought, after getting back into this hobby in the late 80's, was an OS 40FP. Other than being the second least powerful engine in it's class (K&B had one that was weaker), it was, and still is one of the best running engines I've ever owned. I used it in my trainer, a SIG 4-Star 40, and several airplanes since, and have NEVER had a problem whatsoever with it. It always starts on the first flip or two, idles great, and runs beautifully. As a matter of fact, I liked it so much I bought 3 more of them since then, and they all perform great (other than the lack of power previously noted). If you are having problems with the "crappy nickel plating" you are most likely not setting it properly. That, or I was just lucky enough to get the only four FP engines OS ever produced that ran perfectly for over 20 years of service with no problems at all?

Mark
Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 AM
jlingrel

I used to work for Rockwell, and they went into the LEAN system. Might work great on the manufacturing floor, but it really tied the hands of the folks in the field. I assume it will be the same for manufactureres of our model products.

John
Old 03-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Ace Radio Controlled Models

We have a huge range of SUPERTIGRE Parts from the original italian factory available if you have the part numbers from the manual we can check for you or you can visit our website www.acercmodels.com

Originally Posted by 3D Romeo
Hello,

I was just wondering if the parts for the new Chinese made Super Tigre engines are compatible with the older Italian made engines?

The reason I ask is because I have a couple older Italian made Super Tigre .61 engines, and one of them may need a few parts to get up and running again.

Thank you,

Mark

Last edited by Ace Radio Controlled Models; 03-03-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:02 PM

the g series motors were made for many years in italy ( around 10 or so i think )
Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 PM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

I currently own 22 Super Tigres. This is my second round with availability issues. I just got confident they were on their feet then "Order Pending" again. I remain hopeful due to that status. I haven't noticed Tower keep that status if they themselves aren't trying to fill the inventory. Another fear is having them delete the listings. That would really make finding parts difficult without part numbers. Guess I better print my favorites to be safe.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:47 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Edit: previous post problem rectified.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 03-04-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:13 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Hey Ace - your second to the last post has is the biggest post full of who knows what. Might want to edit that one.
Done.
I had two .51's, my original .51 is one the first one's shipped, the other was Chinese made one, could not, tell them apart it weren't for Made in China on the backplate. I still have the early one.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 03-04-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 AM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

I bought a Chinese .40 as soon as I saw they were available. It was $49.99. I had it in a cruel pusher configuration (Balsa USA Force One). I flew it for several years in that plane. It's been in my Lazy Bee that I enlarged to 7' WS. I clipped it to 5' now. I've flown it so much I've almost worn the tires bald flying from grass.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2078730  
Old 03-05-2015, 04:48 PM

If you need any parts let us know as we have 100's available you can email me for a full list of spares or check our website www.acercmodels.com or direct to supertigre parts page http://shop.acercmodels.com/engines-...ts-super-tigre

REgards Scott
Old 02-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Red7fifty
My Feedback: (73)

All the Nitro SuperTigre stuff seems to be discontiuned from the Tower website:
Old 02-07-2017, 01:04 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Tower can't seem to find a way to communicate with the manufacturer in China to find out if and when parts will be available. I suspect they are done like most other good model engine companies that have gone belly up in recent years.