Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Two battery packs or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:02 PM
skystreaker1a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two battery packs or not?

I'm getting back in the hobby after an 8 year absent and every aspect of this hobby has change so much. My question is, is it still unwise to run a cd ignition and receiver off from the same battery pack now that battery packs have so much more power than the old ones?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:24 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Two battery packs or not?

I think it's a good idea to run a separate pack for the ignition regardless of the type or size battery used. Some ignitions are finicky when it comes to voltage and current inputs so it's best to have  an isolated battery.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

On gassers never run your ignition and receiver off of one battery. Always use separate batteries. I always use some sort of a kill switch as well.

If you we're running an inboard glow igniter for a nitro engine you could share that battery I suppose.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ggraham500

On gassers never run your ignition and receiver off of one battery. Always use separate batteries. I always use some sort of a kill switch as well.

If you we're running an inboard glow igniter for a nitro engine you could share that battery I suppose.
It depends on the radio system. If you are on 72mhz don't try it.
If you have a 2.4ghz system you can get away with it provided the battery has very low internal resistance like an A123 for instance.
Several people have been doing it for some time.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

I was going to say I wish someone had told me never to run a single battery in my 50cc stuff a few hundred flights ago in the 3 airplanes I've been doing it on for years with an A123
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 AM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

pays yer money and takes yer chances..... I just assembled a 30cc sbach, wanted the weight as low as i could get so went with a single A123 2300mAh with a Deans and a futaba end on the battery. Plugged the futaba end into the ignition switch then used a diode ext. from WWRC between the switch and ignition. Ran the Deans into a hd switch with to two outlets to plug into the rx. prolly have 25 flights on this system and it works great. Dont think i would try it on 72mghtz radios tho.
On my 50 cc i went high voltage, dual 2450 lipos thru a PE board and the ignition got its own battery. it works good too. depending on how the 30 cc holds up to this i might switch out the 50cc to the same ignition setup. Course a different drop down diode setup will be used for the lipo's the set up on the 30 cc looks really good so far.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:11 AM
pilotpete2

+1!
A good IBEC, such as the TechAero or Wike provide filtering and current limiting if the ignition module were to take a dump. They also provide adjustable voltage regulation to insure you won't damage the ignition module. For 20cc-30cc size models you can run one 2300mAh A123 pack, or a pair of the 1100mAh with separate switches for redundancy.
Pete
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 AM
MaineBear

Interesting... When I first went to a CD (from magneto) I read about all I could find on CD battery hook ups, and used the already established dual battery protocol, following recommended separation of module from Rx, etc. in order to minimizie chance of ignition interference. Hadn't read about possibly using A123 batteries or if 50mhz (which I would be on) might be a problem; but had read about 72 vs 2.4. First time I ran the engine encountered interference (aileron only) when rpms were inceased above mid range. Eliminated this only after I removed the opto kill switch.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:41 AM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

i am using a rcxcl optokill after a regular on off switch. diode extensin between optokill and manual switch. The on off switch is so there is no draw when the plane is shut off. I know they dont draw much....i just wanted the ability to shut all power off.