Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Optic 6 loses comms with airplane when Tx is close to plane...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Cpt Crash
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optic 6 loses comms with airplane when Tx is close to plane...

I ran across a strange glitch on my Hitec Optic 6 2.4 GHz system today. While tuning the engine on my Edge 540, the throttle servo suddenly dropped to idle and I lost control of all surfaces - sort of like the Rx had gone into "failsafe" mode. I had knelt down next to the plane, so the Tx was about 14 inches from the Rx antenna. When I stood up, the system returned to normal operation. I performed a reduced power/range check of the system and it worked fine. I had flown about 6 flight previously that day, and checked the Rx battery (a 2000 mAh NiMH) and it was registering 6.64 volts. The transmitter indicated 10.3 volts at the time as well.

I was able to duplicate the failure by moving the transmitter to close proximity to the airplane while moving the sticks at the field. Thinking that there may be an interference issue with the Tx in close proximity to the airplane (and the aluminum wing tube) I packed up and went home.

Trying to duplicate the failure at home gave mixed results. For the most part, the system works fine, but sometimes (not always) when the Tx is close to the Rx, the system goes into failsafe and I lose communication with the plane. Moving the Tx away from the plane seems to restore control. I haven't lost a plane yet due to unexplained radio glitching with this system, so I want to know if this sort of behavior is "normal" or something else is up.

More system details. Optic 6 transmitter with Spectra AFHSS module. All servos are Hitec analogs: 3 645MGs, 3 485HBs. Rx is Optima 6 channel. Switch is MPi heavy duty with charge port. Engine is nitro 1.20 two stroke, so no other electronics are on board the plane.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:40 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Optic 6 loses comms with airplane when Tx is close to plane...

ORIGINAL: Cpt Crash
I ran across a strange glitch on my Hitec Optic 6 2.4 GHz system today. While tuning the engine on my Edge 540, the throttle servo suddenly dropped to idle and I lost control of all surfaces - sort of like the Rx had gone into "failsafe" mode. I had knelt down next to the plane, so the Tx was about 14 inches from the Rx antenna. When I stood up, the system returned to normal operation. I performed a reduced power/range check of the system and it worked fine. I had flown about 6 flight previously that day, and checked the Rx battery (a 2000 mAh NiMH) and it was registering 6.64 volts. The transmitter indicated 10.3 volts at the time as well.
I was able to duplicate the failure by moving the transmitter to close proximity to the airplane while moving the sticks at the field. Thinking that there may be an interference issue with the Tx in close proximity to the airplane (and the aluminum wing tube) I packed up and went home.
Trying to duplicate the failure at home gave mixed results. For the most part, the system works fine, but sometimes (not always) when the Tx is close to the Rx, the system goes into failsafe and I lose communication with the plane. Moving the Tx away from the plane seems to restore control. I haven't lost a plane yet due to unexplained radio glitching with this system, so I want to know if this sort of behavior is "normal" or something else is up.
More system details. Optic 6 transmitter with Spectra AFHSS module. All servos are Hitec analogs: 3 645MGs, 3 485HBs. Rx is Optima 6 channel. Switch is MPi heavy duty with charge port. Engine is nitro 1.20 two stroke, so no other electronics are on board the plane.
Very common problem when Transmitter is held to close to transceiver/receiver antenna and swamps the receiver,
this with all brands and frequencies, especially when both Tx &Rx batteries are fresh of the charger providing full power.
Always keep transmitter 50cm or more away from receiver antenna when working on any model, especially one with a battery
connected to EP or GPmotor running - if swamping then occurs, ID-Setup must be redone.

Transmitter/Rx are tuned at 2m distance which is why the instructions for ID-Setup state that the Tx must not be held within 45Cm (18")
of the receiver when performing any setups (aka Binding/Link)
Please refer to information provided and the left bottom side of middle picture at
. Hitec AFHSS ID-Setup (Bind) Latest Spectra Module V3.01(0) & Transceiver V2.02(0)

More information available under sub section
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 AM
Cpt Crash
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Alan. So you're saying that if this swamping happens, I have to re-link the setup regardless? Even though the plane and Tx resumed normal comms when the Tx was moved away? That's unfortunate. I'll do it and be a lot more careful about getting too close to the airplane. I've been very pleased with the Hitec AFHSS system otherwise and don't want to tempt fate and have to deploy the trash bag of shame.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cpt Crash Thanks for the reply, Alan. So you're saying that if this swamping happens, I have to re-link the setup regardless? Even though the plane and Tx resumed normal comms when the Tx was moved away? That's unfortunate. I'll do it and be a lot more careful about getting too close to the airplane. I've been very pleased with the Hitec AFHSS system otherwise and don't want to tempt fate and have to deploy the trash bag of shame.
No, one off swamping does occur as outlined above, but to try and clarify the sentence:
"Always keep transmitter 50cm or more away from receiver antenna when working on any model, especially one with a battery
connected to EP or GPmotor running -
if swamping then occurs, ID-Setup must be redone."
i.e. any strange happenings when similar glitching occurs with a good separation between the two units, or should user have any
doubts. e.g.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Servo Move Slower Than Usual - then Rebind.
...(Switched between Normal <> Scan mode with power off before process completed).
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Servo Wag & Jerky Servo Movements Reasons & Cure - Do Not Fly With This Condition.
(...includes when switching on some ESC) .
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Servos Stepping - Battery pack (power supply) failing under load.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Modules, Optima & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links