Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

My goal is a 1/3 scale Pup...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

My goal is a 1/3 scale Pup...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: My goal is a 1/3 scale Pup...

Gene,
 I you decide to sell the US 1000 kit let me know and I'll more then likely take it off your hands.

I know what you mean about younger kids not wanting to learn to build. When I was a kid I couldn't wait for my dad to teach me to build stick and tissue planes. I started bugging him at the age of around 6 or 7, and he finally stated teaching me when I was 8. I have some very fond memories of us building the Guillows kits and then taking them out and flying them. It was some of the most fun I had with my dad, and he was a true artist with those planes. He had the knack for getting those stick and tissue free flight planes to fly well. I tried to teach my kids to build and fly as well, but they wanted nothing to do with it at all. Was to boring for them.   They are more interested in the X-Box.

ken
Old 10-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was 8 when I started building too. A big kid crashed his Ring Master and gave it to me, plastic kits I had already been doing for a while. From then on I was hooked and scratch building my U-controls, even a few Free Flights when I was a bit older but for the most part kits. I have one grand son into RC, he has been flying Helli's sense he was 2!! I posted photos of him here when he was 3 1/2 flying one in my house but he is the only one out of 4, his younger brother may get into it though. His dad is more into ARFs so I don't know about building or not. Maybe if he was closer to me? I keep a couple RB stick kits in the shop in case he wants to learn. 1 out of 4 isn't bad and his younger brother may get into it too? If the oldest does it then the younger one probably will too. I was ordered to bring my electric with me this Thanksgiving so we could fly together.
How many 1000 kits do you want?? This would be what, number 4?? I will let you know, I need some paint right now and will need covering for my next two builds. The 1/3 scale Pete will take a bunch, I was even thinking of covering it with fabric instead of Solartex?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:28 PM
bicyclemonkey
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we had a fly-in at our club today and a guy asked if my plane was a kit and I was embarrassed to admit to him that it was an ARF.  I gotta hurry up and get my first kit ASAP lol.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: bicyclemonkey

So we had a fly-in at our club today and a guy asked if my plane was a kit and I wasembarrassedto admit to him that it was an ARF. I gotta hurry up and get my first kit ASAP lol.
There has always been a certain amount of pride when you take the plane that you have spent a good amount of time building out to the field for the first time, it's one of the best parts of kit building. And I'm not talking about the having to be a Top Gun quality scale project, anything you have built yourself is going to bring the pride out. And now in this day and age of ARF's it's even more of a sense of accomplishment to bring something to the field that nobody else has. I'm not trying to ignite an ARF/kit war here, because I fly ARF's as well. But there just isn't the same sense of accomplishment of putting an ARF together as there is from building a kit.

So you do need to hurry up and get to building. It's a great feeling to see your plane fly for the first time after all the work you put into it.

Ken

Old 11-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said Ken .