Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano EPX

Old 05-20-2011, 02:43 PM
dbigfoot111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano EPX

Good Afternoon
I'm thinking about buying my first RC Brushless which will be Volcano EPX PRO, but before buying i have a few questions.

- where can i buy a kit with Lipo Battery?
- is the stock RTR pack Ninh strong enough to pop wheelies? and would the 2s Lipo be wheely on deman?
- Is over something i would have to watch?
- If I'm planning to do 2s set up would i need a fan to cool down the motor?
- is the ESC good? i like to run my truck on dirt, and grass.

suggestion is appriciated
Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Volcano EPX

www.hobbypartz.com and www.hobbyking.com both have good lipos and chargers at low prices.

the volcano epx pro has a low center of gravity. it will not pull wheelies easy, not on nimh or lipo. it just launches hard with all 4 wheels ripping at the ground

not sure on your 3rd question.

the ESC and motor will run fine on 2s lipo. no need for fans. that said, a heat sink on the motor isnt a bad idea. heatsinks and fans cost alot less than new ESCs or motors!

the novatech ESC has plenty of punch. it actually can handle 3s lipo. it doesnt have any programable settings, but its very easy to use.

the volcano handles dirt/grass with ease.

i have actually run a volcano epx pro with a traxxas VXL brushless system on 3s lipo. it was pretty nuts. the stock setup with a 2s lipo is a good match. good power and speed.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:14 PM
dbigfoot111

is the truck durable for a basher, because i dont ant to change the parts everytime i run the truck. BTW I'm not the type of basher that want to jump 10ft off the ground.

does the EXP PRO come with 2s lipo battery for the truck or does it come with NIHM
Old 05-20-2011, 05:24 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: dbigfoot111

is the truck durable for a basher, because i dont ant to change the parts everytime i run the truck. BTW I'm not the type of basher that want to jump 10ft off the ground.

does the EXP PRO come with 2s lipo battery for the truck or does it come with NIHM
its a decent basher. the front "C"hubs and steering knuckes broke on mine(in the winter, in cold temps) and i upgraded to alloy ones.
the dogbones wear out over time. so it doesnt hurt to have some spares on hand.
those were the only issues i had with mine.

it only comes with nimh pack. right now, redcat doesnt have any RC's that ship with lipos except the 1/8 scale 8E line.

the other truck you should consider is the caldera 10e. some of the parts it shares with the 8E line. Its a bit beafier than the volcano. its also a bit longer and wider/taller. it also comes with a better nimh pack(longer runtime) its also is brushless, 2s lipo ready.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 AM
budbuzz350

update: i bought the redcat volcano exp pro. and a lipo battery. this thing is fast and sweet.  knock on wood so far no issues. ran it 3 times on the battery is came with. truck does maybe 20mph for 10-15 minutes.  i bought a gen 5000mah 50c lipo battery and this truck flies! if i punch it on the take off. the truck will end up up side down, now i will be buying a traxxis next. for myself. but that will be next year.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:32 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: budbuzz350

update: i bought the redcat volcano exp pro. and a lipo battery. this thing is fast and sweet. knock on wood so far no issues. ran it 3 times on the battery is came with. truck does maybe 20mph for 10-15 minutes. i bought a gen 5000mah 50c lipo battery and this truck flies! if i punch it on the take off. the truck will end up up side down, now i will be buying a traxxis next. for myself. but that will be next year.
glad to hear you like it.
It is alot of truck for the money. And as you have seen, a $25 lipo battery really wakes the thing up. Lipos are what brushless systems crave.

Ive owned 2 or 3 volcanos thus far. I have a tornado epx pro right now. They are just soo fast for what they cost. You have to dish out $300 for a traxxas vxl to get the same speed. Nothing wrong with doing that mind you, the traxxas vxl models are good. Ive had the rustler/stampede and slash vxl models.

Keep an eye on screws and such. Make sure nothing is getting loose. Alittle preventive work on the truck and the volcano will treat you well.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:19 AM
budbuzz350

l i made one boo boo last Friday. it just got doen raining. i brought it to work to show some of my friends and to race a stanpede. stampede couldn't get it started. so i played around with mine. it was hard to keep good traction,. i finally got it wide open. then i was coming to the end of parking lot. i left off gas. slightly hit the brake. and it just turned sideways and slid across hitting the curb on the back left side. bending my dog bone and broke the plastic piece that goes on the tire. so i bought extra and spent $30.00 total for my parts. to fix it. its all good now. but other then that its been awesome.
that wasn't the trucks fault. it was mine. i'm surprised that was the only damage.$7.00 repair. here you see people complaining. its like what do you expect with your hauling but and hit something!
if i didn't hit the curb. the truck will still be going. i just fixed it last night. ordered parts on Friday and got them Wednesday. which was pretty quick i think.i have no curbs at home thank god!!! lol.
i will be buying another one next year., what do you recommend for a nitro? but as for my truck now. i have ran into a few cars and hit my wooden fence a few times. so it gets a beatin and keeps on hauling but. oohh and rolled it a few times. somersaults etc! lol. this volcano exp pro is a blast!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Next year they will have a new 1/8 electric out that looks pretty sweet.

Any RC can break when smashed into a solid object, its just the price we pay for our fun

I had a traxxas emaxx that used to snap its axles from just punching the throttle. And a set of those axles sets you back $20! Got pricey real quick.

And thats part of what keeps me a redcat owner...having the fun while spending less $$$.

heres a pic of the new buggy:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90565.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	1816859  
Old 11-02-2012, 12:10 PM
budbuzz350

what a beast! is that electric? yeah exactly what i was saying that was my fault when its a solid object. and people complain it should hold and bash more then that,
Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: budbuzz350

what a beast! is that electric? yeah exactly what i was saying that was my fault when its a solid object. and people complain it should hold and bash more then that,
oh yes, electric.

I thought it was going to be based off the current 8e line, but I also know that it has a bottom loading battery door like the twister models. So it may be a totally new design.
Either way, it looks alot like the Axial Exo Terra buggy....but will surely cost alot less.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM
rcjeepzillacrawler

ok so i have the redcat racing volcano EPX and i was wondering is there a way of gettin a 3 racing winch on it and if so how ?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: rcjeepzillacrawler

ok so i have the redcat racing volcano EPX and i was wondering is there a way of gettin a 3 racing winch on it and if so how ?
You can fab a bracket to come off the upper bumper mount. You wont be able to run it off the radio, as its only 2 channel and you would need a 3rd channel to control the winch.
either some alloy "L" bracket or framing plate should work. both are easy to drill. can be cut with tin snips as well.

there are some winch kits that can be controlled by a key pad.