Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kingtech K80-F Startup video and questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kingtech K80-F Startup video and questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 AM
devin120
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kingtech K80-F Startup video and questions

Heres a vid of my first turbione and its second startup. Cant believe the sound these things make.

Question. Its never done this before but on my GSU it read RC signal lost/incorrect when my rim is low, but when i set it to idle, everyrhitng is ok and the gsu reads ready... I went for the start and everything was perfect??? Anyone have this. I should not im using a 3300 mah 7 cell for my ecu and pump etc, and a 5000mah 2s lipo for my rx.

At home i never got these readings, but it was about 4 degrees celsius today when i ran it up....

Devin[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksVasjeNXFk&feature=g-upl[/youtube]
Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Kingtech K80-F Startup video and questions

Oops sorry i thought this was a 180. I would think this is fine unless you get this with trim set for start. Check with Barry.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 AM
dhamultun

Hey Devin! I started my K-80-E today same conditions. I'm in Vaudreuil-Dorion. It worked fine but I found my idle RPM was too fast 56,000 RPM? Hope you don't mind that i've hijacked your thread...hope we both get some suggestions or reassurance.

http://youtu.be/3n7ZMDQqV64
Old 11-04-2012, 10:20 AM
devin120

Hey no problem, in the run menu you can adjust your idle rpm. From factory it comes at 45,000 rpm which to me already had tons of idle thrust so im gonna be on the brakes the whole time. But 55k sounds extremely high. Did you buy it used? Make sure its set properly in the run menu. And while your at it make your your max rpm is 144-145k
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 AM
dhamultun

Bought it new from Barry. Took me awhile to get all the required fittings for a test run. I'll take a look at the settings later, I assumed they would have been set properly from the factory. I'll post what I find.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:29 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Welcome to the club!
Now,,,, that's about the worst place you could stand during a start and runup! [X(] Respect the planes of the wheels and esp the rear quadrants!
Old 11-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Rush!

Nice... did you program your radio's throttle and trim limits into the ECU?  

Old 11-04-2012, 03:56 PM
dhamultun

Checked the run settings, they all look good. Might try re-learning the ECU for my transmitter and see if it helps and test again.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM
dhamultun

I did program the ECU with my transmitter. I agree that it may be the most likely source of the problem. Going to re-learn the ECU and re-test.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:10 PM
dhamultun

I watched Devin's video, but had not noticed that he was inline with the turbine disk and exhaust. Smitty is 100% correct always infront and do not allow spectators beside or behind when running your turbine. I like how Devin had it up against the concrete patio. I will do something similar my next test run. I used my foot to hold mine down, not good in an emergency. Can't be too safe, thanks for the heads up smitty.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:59 PM
devin120

Yeh my dad worked at pratt for 42 years he saw that and basically told me im an idiot :P Will not do that again. Their so loud!!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Devin And Dham.

Ffirst I would recommend that you relearn your TRANSMITTER ADJUST on your ECU. In the ecu under RADIO is the Transmitter Adjust. Press Yes in this menu. The next step should be TRIM UP THROTTLE UP. next will be TRIM DOWN THROTTLE DOWN, and last will be TRIM UP THROTTLE UP.

After you have done this go ahead and do a start. once the engine is RUNNING, let it idle for about 2 to 3 minutes. This lets the ECU and Fuel pump LEARN the fuel tanks. That is the best way I can describe it. Do NOT run it up to full throttle until it has idled for this time period.

Remember also that when you do install it in a jet, You will have to do this learning process over again including relearning the THROTTLE ADJUST to the ecu as a precautionary measure, but most important is to let the engine idle in the jet to let the ecu LEARN the fuel tanks.

Hope this helps
Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80 and K-140
Owner

Old 11-04-2012, 07:09 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys and welcome to the Kingtech family.

I am Dirk, the Service tech for KingtechTurbines here in California and I want to ensure you that if you ever have questions you can email / call Barry or myself for tech support. Jetpilot24 is right in saying that you have to give the ECU a few minutes to learn the power of your fuel pump so it can regulate the turbine properly. Learning RC is very important that you press the + button to move forward in the set up menu after stick up / trim up, and when you get to the throttle curve (half expo is a good starting point) then you want to press the arrow up button to exit and save your settings. Also, after it learns it's idle and you go to full throttle it may take a few minutes to reach the max limit and stabilize. Once you have them set, fly, fly fly!!!

Hope this helps,

Barry Hou
[email protected]
626-793-4677

Dirk Flejter
[email protected]
626-712-8751
Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Devin,

I just watched your video....You have a K-170F model and it is very powerful!!! The stand/ work bench you have it on could easily fly forward at full throttle and cause serious damage. I have a 100LB work bench and have to lock the wheels under it or it will push it across my floor. You also need to run a fod screen, even on a test bench, you could easily suck in fuel lines, wires, fingers, camera lens and anything else just hangin out on the bench, then you will be sending it to me for repairs before you even get a chance to fly it. Just sayin, SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Devin, could you take a look at your transmitter throttle travel and make sure that they are 100%, on the other K-80, I saw 56,000 with pump pw at 134 which is extremely high, probably more than double of what the pw should be. I understand that this is on a stand, but could you please verify that there's no fuel restriction before we look into the fuel pump. Thanks!

Barry
Old 11-05-2012, 03:52 AM
devin120

My throttle curve is 0-100 straight. And i was going to run the linear setting on the k80? as i heard they only produce power up high, thought it would be the best setting.Btw whilst i have some reps here whats the lowest idle rpm i can use on my k80f as i found the idle thrust moderatly high and i know im going to be on brakes all the time. going into a 1/8 JL f-16

I am running a K80. And the other guy is running a k80 also. Everything is A-OK with my engine, relearned the rc and now not getting signal incorrect. Im just the noob who stands next to a compressor wheel and turbine. Will not do that again. Thanks for the support guys!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:28 PM
dhamultun

Barry, As we discussed I'm going to teach the ECU my throttle settings again and remove the felt clunk. Hopefully the PW will drop withing the normal range during idle. Unfortunately I'll most likely have to wait until the weekend to try. Thanks for the help.

David