Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Can't understant Rcexl instructions.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Can't understant Rcexl instructions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:16 AM
skystreaker1a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't understant Rcexl instructions.

Has anyone installed a Rcexl ignition with automatic advance on any gassers? I recently bought a Rcexl ignition cdi with automatic advance to install on my 3.2 Brison engine. The Brison had cdi with mechanical advance which I did not care for. I though installing the Rcexl unit was gong to be a pretty straight forward installation but after reading the instructions that came with the Rcexl module, I'm at a total loss.
The way I understand the instructions, you set the engine timing 28 degrees before TDC and than slide the hall effect switch over the magnet located in the prop hub and when the plug fires, you fasten the hall effect switch down and your good to go. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you going to be starting that engine with the spark set at 28 degrees BTC. I always though when one started a gas engine, the spark should be set near TDC or a few degrees ATC to make starting easier with no kick back. Now if this engine starts 28 degrees BTC and you rev the engine up to full throttle and the Rcexl cdi also automatically advances the spark, the way I understand things to work, you’re going to have a plug firing at 56 degrees BTC at full throttle. With an engine running at those specs, its going to run hot and not gain full speed. I can understand setting the timing 28 degrees BTC if the Rcexl didn't have automatic advance, but with automatic advance, I can’t see how this setup can work.
Thanks for any feed back.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:32 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can't understant Rcexl instructions.

The ignition retards the timing about 25 degrees when you flip the prop and then advances as you rev the engine, hit full advance at around 4,000 RPM.

If you have it set and fixed at 28 to 30 degrees you are ready to go. Just do not do a lazy flip when you start the engine.

Milton
Old 11-04-2012, 09:22 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I think the mechanical advance is best.
When you open the throttle, the spark is immediately advance rather waiting around for some electronic chip to make up its mind
Old 11-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Donairplane
My Feedback: (3)

I feel the mid range throttle responsewas much better with themechanical advance,
throttle always felt more linear. I still use it and like it!

Don
Old 11-04-2012, 10:02 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My Brison 3.2 with mechanicl advance and it has the CH brand ignition.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27901.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1817534  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sky, Go back to the mechanical advance for trouble free performance. Dan.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:56 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was not his question. Milton gave the right answer.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

skystreaker, click on the PM and send me a privite message please. Thanks Capt,n
Old 11-08-2012, 09:02 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

skystreaker, click on the PM and send me a privite message please. Thanks Capt,n
Your Black box ignition is nothing but a reworked C&H system. I sent him a lot of my old inventory. I am happpy that he is doing repairs on our old C&H systems.
BCCHI
Old 11-09-2012, 04:28 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

i had John make up a ignition for me(Black Box)and i don't know what parts you sold him.but out of all the ignitions i have, i get a wider,bluer,louder spark out of it, then any of the others(DA,Rcexl,and even CH ignitions,but those are getting up in age.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bcchi

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Your Black box ignition is nothing but a reworked C&H system. I sent him a lot of my old inventory. I am happpy that he is doing repairs on our old C&H systems.
BCCHI
Bill, I would say you picked a guy that is really into ignition systems and he will make good use of the inventory you sent him. I sure enjoy reading the postings John has in the forum called "engine conversions". Thanks again for the items you sent me. I got my grandson into electronics at the age of 10 and he got straitA marks in High school. He went on to collage...again he was top in his class. Hehas a very good jobnowand is doing super.

Now the rest of the story....He can fly RC airplanes like easy as eating pie, but then he met a nice young lady and now his mind is elsewhere. I did wanttoo get him into flying gas airplaneswith the items you sent & witha RX system...ect, get him into gas airplanes.But It will be a bit more time before he comes out of the clouds! Maybe next year we can put all the goodies together and get him flying gas airplanes. Anyway,I have not forgot your very nice gesture and Iwill get my grandson Andy back on tract. Best Regards & Take care. John & Dawn
Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 AM
pe reivers

Give your son some time for the hormones to subdue. Like all of us, he will have to go there, do that, and be back.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Give your son some time for the hormones to subdue. Like all of us, he will have to go there, do that, and be back.
yeah, but with a lot thinner wallet...

AV8TOR
Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 PM
pe reivers

VVBG