Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

HOW-Where to drill to mount engine

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

HOW-Where to drill to mount engine

Old 11-04-2012, 08:01 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default HOW-Where to drill to mount engine

Hello, gotten alot of help on building this plane, (thanks guys) need a little more now, Iam ready to layout and mount the engine, but I am confused as to placement,,Ihave a dle-55 that I am installing. But to be honest I am not sure of where to drill the holes, as compared to what is layed out on this firewall. The vertical line on the firewall is not centered at all, the hole in it is centered side to side, but ishigher on the firewall. I am kinda confused, this is the first Kit I have built from the start, I know there is a template for the dle-55 Iseen it online, do Iprint it out and completely center it on the firewall and drill,, do I use the hole as a reference, Is that centerline on the firewall important?, is it off center for a reason, or a screw up at the factory, DO Ineed to try and test fit the engine, and put the cowl on to try and locate where the holes go,, I just want to be sure before Idrill these holes,, Thanks for any advice fellas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27703.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1817513  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: HOW-Where to drill to mount engine

I don't know what plane it is so can't be 100% sure but the offset center line is usually that way so when you put in the couple of degrees of engine thrust angle the crank shaft is centered in the cowl. On a kits plans they should show you or tell you how much right thrust or down thrust to put in. Most the time about two degrees so we offset the engine so the cowl will fit correctly.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 AM
raron455

Its an ultimate bi-plane from nitroplanes (flymodels)  not sure if the crank centerline and the hole in the firewall, and cowl, are all supposed to match up,
Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cross hair marks on your firewall is what you line up on not the whole in the center. If you want to mount your DLE55 easily try this product we designed and manufacture.
http://www.vamodelbuilders.com/dle-5...drill5550.html

Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Gray Beard

I haven't assembled that plane for anyone but the hole is usually just for your fuel lines. The horizontal and vertical line is where the crank should line up to. Some of the planes have the fire wall already set at an angle for the engine thrust so they off set the vertical so the engine lines up to the center of the cowl. You can just measure to find out if I'm correct, I'm pretty sure this is what it is about. ARF instructions are a bit light on things like this but you probably will have a couple of degrees of right thrust on the engine.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would not use the hole in the firewall as a reference. Follow the centerline possibly shown in the instructions. It should not matter what engine is installed. The alignment of the engine shaft to the centerline of the airframe remained the same. Shift the engine on the firewall to meet the same centerline as shown in the instruction or if necessary use the cowl to find the center and the align the engine shaft to that center.

sent from my iPad...

Old 11-04-2012, 11:45 AM
raron455

thanks,, the directions that came with this kit are only good to clean your rear with,, they really are worthless..

Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Gray Beard

You are in the kit building forum, not the ARF forum. If you went into the ARF forum you would find a lot of people that have assembled the same plane and probably know all the little details. I have assembled a few of there Extras and the instructions were so funny my wife made a copy to take to work and show to her crew for a laugh at the Chinglish. Outstanding engine by the way. Never met a DLE I didn't like, once we changed the apark plug.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks to me like the firewall is canted for right thrust, and the offset center line positions the engine so that the prop washer is centered in the cowl.

Les