Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

VS1 HELP, nearly caught on fire

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

VS1 HELP, nearly caught on fire

Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 AM
Thunder nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VS1 HELP, nearly caught on fire

Hello all,
I have a VS1 running a proboat outboard with a 1900kv motor, I have bought a new nanotech 5000, 65-130 5S and was using a turnigy 180amp ESC.

I say was because today was my first outing with the new 5S. I ran a couple of slow passes and then did two full throttle burst of about 5-8 seconds max.

On the second pass the boat just died at full speed, nose dived into the water and came up upside down, no big deal right? except now it is upside down and a **** load of smoke is coming out of it.

So I did what any dedicated person would do, stripped off to my jocks and in I went to save her.

The speed control was completely ****ed, I mean melted beyond belief, it had completely melted and nearly caught on fire.

I had good water flow and run a seperate line for the ESC, so my guess is this ESC just isn't good enough?

Any advice would be great.

If you run a VS1, what is your setup?
Cheers
Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 AM
siberianhusky

Default RE: VS1 HELP, nearly caught on fire

Did it get wet?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Thunder nut

Mate,

It did do a nose dive on the first run into the wind, however it was upright and it continued to run, I have modified the compartment for the lipo and ESC and it is water tight with a lid and tape, I also have plugged both ends of the ESC with selastic to keep the water out. I have done this mod on another boat and it spends a lot of time upside down and this has not been an issue yet and water does get into the hull on this one.

I just thought that maybe a cheap ESC that I water proofed myself was maybe at fault? I wonder if the amp draw was really high and the selastic started to melt and then the ESC completely melted as it got a short or something?

Cheers
Old 11-05-2012, 06:48 AM
siberianhusky

I've seen T-180's take a beating amp wise then fail at the slightest mist of water vapor, seen others survive being under water! Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.
You set up might be a bit hot but unless you are running a big prop shouldn't be that bad. What motor?
I'd try and stop the leaks anyway, my VS doesn't leak a drop, one of the few boats that didn't leak at the start, ran my motor leads through some brass tubing then filled the remaining space with Goop, normal rubber boots for the steering cables.
How did you do your box?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Thunder nut

Box is done as per the picture. Running a ballanced and sharpened M445 prop and the 1900KV proboat motor, when I ran this settup with a 4S I puffed the lipo as it was only 40C so I thought go to a 65-130C lipo and why not have the extra power of 5S but that didn't work did it.

I suppose there is a slim chance of water but it did go under when running the 4S and I had no issues, I am using the Turnigy 180 amp ESC, maybe I need to not be such a tight arse and pay good dollars for a good ESC that is water proof, any suggestions on one that will handle my current draw?

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64413.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	1817962  
Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 PM
tc4 drft

Well, Im no pro, but I cant imagine that you would be pulling more than 180 amps on that setup, which is what your esc was rated at. From what Ive read on the Turnigy packs, and I own a set, is that the standard blue packaged 40c out perform the NanoTechs. My guess in your case, bad lipo. When you get yourself a new ESC, dont chump out on the lipos. I have the Castle Creations esc with the data link. My setup should draw maybe 130amps at most, and I had some crazy ripple voltage on my log using 40c turnigys, meaning my very easy going low amp setup was too much for those packs. I figured I would be safe and sound. 5000mah @ 40c means I should have 200amps available....clearly I didnt with my ripple readings. I wont even run my turnigys anymore because of this. Ill be picking up some Dinogy packs in the spring. A few dollars more than the nanos, $125 for a 5s 5000mah 65c, but it comes with a warranty, I believe they were used in a speed record or 2, and they guy who sells them is in Cali. Performancerclipos.com. I have no affiliation with this company fyi, but I have yet to read one negitive thing about them. They were also rated the best lipo pack ever tested per a post in the OSE forums...and those dudes know what they're talking about. Good luck on the rebuild.