Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Weight limit

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Weight limit

Five years ago I did all my flying on open pasture. One day something went wrong and I had lost all control of my airplane. The last I had seen of it it was flying east, straight and level. About two week's later I got a visit from a (two mile away) neighbor. He had some photo's of my plane in his house with photo's of the window it went thru.I got very lucky in the fact we here where I live are not sue happy and he only asked that I pay for the damage's. Which I gladly did. Knowing how society is these day's I know that incident could have cost me many thousand's of dollar's in legal fee's and damages. I promptly joined the AMA and a club. I have too many assets and finance's to risk with assuming the risk of liability myself.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't intend to defend myself over this AMA non mermership thing. As I stated earlier, we were AMA until one day when the self proclaimed AMA cop at our field threw the owner's brother off the field. He did not know it was Jim's brother, but I doubt that would have made any difference to him. This self important AMA member's name is Carl. None of us really liked Carl and his shennanigans was tearing the group apart. He really thought he was the boss even though he had no official status in the club. So when he really belligerently insisted Jim's brother leave the field, Jim's brother went directly to Jim whose business is also on the property. Jim came down and did everything but physically attack Carl. I wasn't aware that Jim even knew some of those words because I had never heard him use them and to this day have not heard him use them again. To make a long story short, Carl has never set foot on the property again and we became non AMA affiliated that day. I have also observed that since that day there has not been any kind of politics or dissension in the group. We are not now AMA and we will never be AMA again as long as we fly on Jim's private property.

I realize that having the AMA insurance backing us up would be a good thing, but it ain't gonna happen as long as we fly at Jim's field. So we have two choices. We can continue to fly at Jim's with everyone getting along very well or we can find another field, join the AMA, and hope nobody comes along who wants to assert himself and use AMA rules to back him up. The politics in that situation got really nasty.

We have all heard the horror stories of how difficult it is to find a decent place to fly.

I choose to stay at Jim's.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I don't intend to defend myself over this AMA non mermership thing. As I stated earlier, we were AMA until one day when the self proclaimed AMA cop at our field threw the owner's brother off the field. He did not know it was Jim's brother, but I doubt that would have made any difference to him. This self important AMA member's name is Carl. None of us really liked Carl and his shennanigans was tearing the group apart. He really thought he was the boss even though he had no official status in the club. So when he really belligerently insisted Jim's brother leave the field, Jim's brother went directly to Jim whose business is also on the property. Jim came down and did everything but physically attack Carl. I wasn't aware that Jim even knew some of those words because I had never heard him use them and to this day have not heard him use them again. To make a long story short, Carl has never set foot on the property again and we became non AMA affiliated that day. I have also observed that since that day there has not been any kind of politics or dissension in the group. We are not now AMA and we will never be AMA again as long as we fly on Jim's private property.

I realize that having the AMA insurance backing us up would be a good thing, but it ain't gonna happen as long as we fly at Jim's field. So we have two choices. We can continue to fly at Jim's with everyone getting along very well or we can find another field, join the AMA, and hope nobody comes along who wants to assert himself and use AMA rules to back him up. The politics in that situation got really nasty.

We have all heard the horror stories of how difficult it is to find a decent place to fly.

I choose to stay at Jim's.
I don't see that you need to defend yourself either, you know the risks so just use common sense and have fun, besides this is another one of those controversial threads that nobody comes out the winner or loser...

Bob
Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Something like that happened to us at the crop duster field one of my clubs used for our runway. From then on it was flying by invitation only. The club itself was AMA but we owned no land or flying site of our own. I never bothered to real all the rules for the AMA but as members we all belonged to the AMA. Joining is a good idea and in my case I flew all over the state at IMAA events so I had no choice.
As to the question of weight limits there wouldn't be any at a non AMA field. I fly at one private place and you could fly anything you like but it isn't the best giant scale field. The freeway is too close and Las Vegas Blvd. is also too close. It's almost a sq. mile of open though but there could be a safety problem is a plane got away like acerc mentioned. I had it happen once but that was at my old home field in the mountains. Here in the city it could get ugly. The field doesn't have to be AMA but it's not a bad idea to be a member. It could save you a lot of money in the long run. I do let mine laps for a few months each year. Why anyone would want there dues during the holidays is beyond me. Maybe next year I will be flying a few IMAA events and will have to have the membership even if I didn't want it. I'm going to be building a couple more giant scale planes next year and would like to show them off. IMAA is a great place to do the show and brag. These people understand what they are seeing and what it takes to build one. No one really cares out at the lake bed, they all fly ARFs, giants but ARFs and have no understanding of building. I need my ego stroked once in a while.
Max, you have no weight limits, build them as big and heavy as your runway and area can handle.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:27 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Please don't judge all AMA members or the organization by the actions of one.

Hell, I have a couple of friends that are lawyers.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 PM
JollyPopper

I certainly undertstand that. I've had friends who were lawyers also, and , worse than that, I've had some that were doctors.

Hey, I'm not judging anyone except Carl He was (is) a total jerk. And I would rejoin AMA if I ever flew anywhere but where I do. But having AMA would do me no good flying at a non AMA sanctioned field.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 PM
BarracudaHockey

But having AMA would do me no good flying at a non AMA sanctioned field.
Why do you think that? Thats not the case at all.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:22 PM
JollyPopper

My understanding is that you must be flying at an AMA sanctioned field for the insurance to be good. Correct me if that is wrong,[]
Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My understanding is that you must be flying at an AMA sanctioned field for the insurance to be good. Correct me if that is wrong,[]
AMA insurance is not limited to accidents at AMA club fields. You do have to be in compliance with the AMA safety code, though.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:17 PM
sensei

So I have a question; what do you think the all up weight of the C130 is? Can't be too bad or 4 180s would not get the job done.

Bob
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
JollyPopper

We don't really know yet. The fellow who is building the plane is still making moulds for it. It will be an all figerglass plane. What weight range do you guys think 4 180s would lift? One 180 would fly a 15 pound plane, would it not?

Top_Gunn, can you be in compliance with AMA code and not be at an AMA field? I thought that was the first stimpulation.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:47 PM
sensei

If you want a sweet wing and power loading I would do everything in my power to keep it under 50 lbs. You will be very happy you did in the end.

Bob
Old 11-06-2012, 03:18 PM
da Rock

One 180 would fly a 15 pound plane, would it not?
By that yardstick (and it's a decent one for a rough estimate), a 4-engine using 180s would fly at 60 pounds. In fact, you can often fly more than 30lbs with 2, more than 45 with 3, more than 60 with 4.

Top_Gunn, can you be in compliance with AMA code and not be at an AMA field? I thought that was the first stimpulation.
Absolutely. AMA insurance has layers. It starts with the individual modeler wherever he is flying. Both of my clubs got their fields when they showed the owners the section of the coverage that specifically covers the field owner. The club is also protected as a club. It's been developed over the years to cover model flying well enough that it can be done without worry.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 PM
JollyPopper

So if I can fly anywhere I want, what do I need to do to be in compliance with AMA code?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 PM
sensei

Most all AMA sanctioned fields I have been at have the AMA rules and regulations posted at the field, just go check them out.

Bob
Old 11-06-2012, 09:09 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

This sounds like a really neat project. I do hope you are able to keep the plane under the 55 pound weight limit (it changed from 50 a couple of years ago) or get it inspected as an experimental aircraft by an AMA inspector. The one reason I say this is that if there ever is a liability issue, you'll have complied with the established safety standards. The other thing I would wonder about is whether or not your flying site is big enough for a plane like that. I'd think 600 feet of runway would be an absolute minimum, and easily 2000 feet of flying space.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Donairplane
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultimately the burden of responsibility is on us as flyers, our home owners insurance is primary in the event of an accident.
AMA only steps in when your liability limit is exceeded. You need to protect yourself first, raise your liability to match the AMA
It's cheaper than you think, now go fly. I wouldn't want to count on anyone else in a truly ugly event. My .02.

Cheers
Don
Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

We routinely fly at AMA sites, and non-AMA sites including public parks, a private airfield and a farm. An AMA member's insurance is in effect as long as they comply with the safety code, as stated. 

There is no upper weight limit. IIRC Mac Hodges' B-29 weighs about 400 lbs. 
Old 11-07-2012, 12:34 AM
beepee

You will be personally protected by your homeowner's insurance and backed up by AMA coverage so long as you are a member and flying within the safety guidelines of the AMA. The BIG difference is that the landowner is NOT protected at a non-AMA chartered field.

Keep your AMA membership. Fly where you like and be careful.

Bedford
Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: eddieC

We routinely fly at AMA sites, and non-AMA sites including public parks, a private airfield and a farm. An AMA member's insurance is in effect as long as they comply with the safety code, as stated.

There is no upper weight limit. IIRC Mac Hodges' B-29 weighs about 400 lbs.
Don't tell him that hogwash, there is in fact and has been a max weight limit of 55 lbs. and an upper weight limit of 100 lbs. for years in the experimental category and I am almost positive that it has been raised 125 lbs. inspected now. Mac's airplane at 400 lbs. would fly more like an anvil than an airplane and for a bomber it performs like a sport aircraft. For those interested here are the specifications on Mac's B29.

Hodges Hobbies 1/7 Scale B-29 Bomber Specs
Wingspan 20 feet
Weight 98 lbs.
Powerplant (4) ZDZ 80RV Engines
Propeller (4) 4-Blade Custom Zinger 24x8
Receivers (7) JR 945 PCM Dual Conversion
Servos (20 Total) Futaba 5301 (Flight Controls)
Batteries 16 Batteries
Old 11-07-2012, 04:11 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Two pages now with a very important point being misstated by several including one who "sat on the AMA board". There is one, count along, one AMA sanctioned flying field. It is in Muncie, Indianna on property owned by the AMA. In addition, there is no such thing as an AMA sanctioned club. The AMA sanctions AMA events hosted by AMA chartered clubs.

You are covered as an AMA member for liability anywhere you fly as long as you abide by the AMA safety code. Even if you don't, the AMA will be named in any suit against you and will probably defend itself(you)in court. They might even settle if the legal defense looks sketchy.

There is no AMA stipulation stating that Non-AMA members cannot fly at a site managed by an AMAclub or even just a site used by AMA members (as in the OP's case). The only advantage to chartering a club is that you can buy additional insurance for the landowner. Who flies at a site, and their status as AMA members, can only be determined by the landowner. Period. An AMA chartered club can only have AMA members in it, but that has nothing to do with a flying site or who flies there, or what they fly. If the landowner has no problem with folks flying 1000lb. planes off his property then no one else should. In the case of an accident the flyer and the landowner will be on the hook. If the plane is sub-55lb. or has an AMAwaiver fro overweight, the AMA will cover the flyer, the landowner, or in reality his insurance carrier, will still be on their own. Believe me, if there is an accident, the lawyers are going to come after everybody.

In the case of the OP, I assume that since the landowner has a business on the property, he is well insured for liability and that he has checked with his insurance company to make sure he is covered for this non-business related activity.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

Two pages now with a very important point being misstated by several including one who ''sat on the AMA board''. There is one, count along, one AMA sanctioned flying field. It is in Muncie, Indianna on property owned by the AMA. In addition, there is no such thing as an AMA sanctioned club. The AMA sanctions AMA events hosted by AMA chartered clubs.

You are covered as an AMA member for liability anywhere you fly as long as you abide by the AMA safety code. Even if you don't, the AMA will be named in any suit against you and will probably defend itself(you) in court. They might even settle if the legal defense looks sketchy.

There is no AMA stipulation stating that Non-AMA members cannot fly at a site managed by an AMA club or even just a site used by AMA members (as in the OP's case). The only advantage to chartering a club is that you can buy additional insurance for the landowner. Who flies at a site, and their status as AMA members, can only be determined by the landowner. Period. An AMA chartered club can only have AMA members in it, but that has nothing to do with a flying site or who flies there, or what they fly. If the landowner has no problem with folks flying 1000lb. planes off his property then no one else should. In the case of an accident the flyer and the landowner will be on the hook. If the plane is sub-55lb. or has an AMA waiver fro overweight, the AMA will cover the flyer, the landowner, or in reality his insurance carrier, will still be on their own. Believe me, if there is an accident, the lawyers are going to come after everybody.

In the case of the OP, I assume that since the landowner has a business on the property, he is well insured for liability and that he has checked with his insurance company to make sure he is covered for this non-business related activity.

I stand corrected, I should have stated club versus field... The point is if they are not members of the AMA, they are on their own, or they are members and they pilot an aircraft completely outside the bounds of the AMA regulations and there is an incident, they are on their own in every sense of the word are they not?

Bob
Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 AM
sensei

You know, over a decade ago I designed and built what some may remember as the 70 % Staudacher, the empty weight was 425 lbs. What possessed me to build it; I don't even know anymore and to be honest it's just not important. During the build all I could see was the finishing of the project and the first flight, but after I finished it my business partner and I got to talking one day and I hired an attorney in my own best interest. To make a log story short, I never flew the Staudacher; in fact I sold the power plant to a homebuilder and gave the Staudacher to a fellow that goes to allot of large shows and it could be seen at those shows. Anyway with that said I would at least join the AMA and try to design and build an aircraft that works withing the AMA guidelines so you can look out for you own best interest.

Bob
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 AM
da Rock

The AMA insurance program presently offers US$2.5 million in coverage.

AMA also offers optional site insurance which is considered to be primary coverage and is very low cost. Most leases on flying sites not owned by an aeromodeling club require adequate insurance to be carried by all people who will be flying.

There is also an additional insurance coverage for each sanctioned event.

By providing the insurance, AMA makes it far easier for clubs or individuals to acquire access to flying sites.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:30 AM
BarracudaHockey

K-Bob beat me to it but he's 100 perecent correct.

AMA sanctioned fields are one of the biggest myths in the hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.