Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ME 163 Unknown kit Looking for info

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ME 163 Unknown kit Looking for info

Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM
mgnostic

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Default ME 163 Unknown kit Looking for info

I picked up this little gem at a hobby shop in Dallas. It has a fiberglass fuselage, sheeted foam wings and a sheet balsa fin and rudder. The wing is mounted on a piece of music wire that slides through a brass tube in the fuselage. Other than the engine mount there is very little in the way of fuselage formers. It has an approximately 44 inch wingspan and the fuse (not including prop and spinner) is about 27 inches long. Current weight with detachable gear, ready to fly is about 56 oz. As you can see the wings have non scale, single piece control surfaces. Other wise the outline is pretty scale like. The power setup is pretty interesting.I believe it is a Fox .25. It is a Ball Bearing motor that has had the logo and size information ground off of it. Several years ago this same hobby shop had a box of Fox motors that were described as having been wet due to a fire sprinkler accident. The all had the logos ground off in a similar manner. At any rate this motor is set up with the rotatable cylinder as a rear exhaust motor with a homemade mousse can tuned pipe that exits out the tail cone. There in lies part of my problem. The fiberglass fuse is relatively flexible and even with a balanced prop there is quite a bit of vibration. I think the engine set up would make a lot of power but on throttle up the fuel foams and the engine quickly dies. Given the amount of room in the fuse and the fact that it already has a pretty easy flow of cooling air through the fuse it seem like it would be pretty easy to set it up with an electric power set up. It seems like it was intended to fly pretty fast. Any thought on the manufacturer of the kit and or a suitable brushless set up? I've been flying for a long time but have only done one brushless arf and so dont have much experience in that regard.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47094.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	1818510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95374.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	1818511  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: ME 163 Unknown kit Looking for info

whats the wingspa? Bob Holman has a set of plans but they I believe were at least a 60 size plane
Old 11-07-2012, 09:06 PM
mgnostic

This is a pretty small bird at about 44 inches
Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 AM
guamflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow man thats heavy at 56 oz. but anyways it sorta looks like the K & A 163..at 44 " ws and depending on the weight after you gut the nitro stuff out, a conversion to electric should go ok. I fly lots of electric and for that type of plane i would go with atleast a 400 - 500 watt motor if you hand launch.. you could use a 300 -400 watt outrunner if you keep it really light.. I " ll be right back cause gots to run errand
Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The k&a models me-163 is a 40" span model...

It's not a flyboys models ARF either. But it is a Quality Fiberglass (Bob Sealy) one with its glass fiber molded fuselage and foam core wings. Here is the build thread of the actual model you've bought!!! Or so it seems

http://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/me163/rc12.htm

Thanks

Dave
Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 AM
guamflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i checked, definitely not k&a.. are u gonna hot-rod it or parkflyer it?
Old 11-10-2012, 04:39 PM
mgnostic

It certainly looks like mine is the Quality Fiberglass kit. Even the decals match up. It looks like it was intended to be a hot rod. I enjoy flying 1/12 scale warbirds as a hot sport planes and that is what I want from this ME 163. Really too heavy for a park flier.