Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

BJCraft Episode

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:34 AM
serious power

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BJCraft Episode

Hi Tony,
Sounds like it might be worth trying a cannalyser on the Nuance first.
Are the canopies interchangeable ?

Brian
Old 11-04-2012, 05:34 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: serious power

Hi Tony,
Sounds like it might be worth trying a cannalyser on the Nuance first.
Are the canopies interchangeable ?

Brian
Brian I think they may be interchangable. The Nuance and the Prolog are. The basic fuse is the same on all 3 models. I have no idea what effect it would have. Mike
Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Steve mentioned earlier, the wing location, stab location and the layout of the area of the rudder are different between the Nuance and the Episode. A canalyser on the Nuance might work, but I'd rather just try the Episode.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:23 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

The canopies do fit, however the Episode uses different attchment method, but they do fit on the fuse.

Arch
Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 AM
mups53

Right Arch Chris said the attachmenet system on the Episode is like the Wind Pro and the Oxai's. They have the buttons. Mike
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM
mups53

Mini version
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59692.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1818615  
Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 AM
rcpattern

Very nice. I want one of those.

Arch
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 AM
mups53

I'm thinking they may be coming with the new planes. The first shipment is in Sidney Australlia today. Mike
Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 AM
EHFAI

Mike

What route do these things take in their travel for mfg to F3AU?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM
mups53

Hey Earl. They travel south thru the Indian Ocean and come thru the Suez canal. Then west thru the Rock Of Gibraltor. Ending up in New York and then into Baltimore. The ships make many stops along the way. It takes about a month. I think there in pirate sea's for a little bit too. Mike
Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM
rcpattern

Thanks to Chris Moon, I was able to get some flights on the "Company Episode" before mine arrives next month. I put 2 on it yesterday and 6 on it today. I really like this plane. I still think the Nuance flies P a little better, but the Episode is incredible for F. Snaps are very quick and easy to stop. The rudder is as effective as most foamies I've flown. You can actually loop the plane tighter knife edge than you can upright. Great flying plane.

Arch
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22722.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	1819232  
Old 11-11-2012, 04:56 AM
AmericanSpectre505

I'm jealous,.....LOL

bholsten
Old 11-11-2012, 10:05 AM
f3a05

ORIGINAL: shannah

ORIGINAL: f3a05

My canalyzer is set at 0.3 degrees negative ( i.e.trailing edge raised) relative to the wing.
The wing incidence, measured on the ''non-aileron'' part,near the aileron root, is itself set (by the factory settings on my example), at 0.8 degrees positive relative to the tail.
You might want to recheck your incidences again. I found it pretty difficult to get an accurate measurement on the wing at the non-aileron section. That section is swept fairly deep and it was hard to keep the incidence meter on the wing properly.

I checked with B.J. on this topic and he says that the wing and canalizer factory setting is +1.5 relative to the horizontal stabilizer. Set the horizontal stab at zero trim and verify its center with the neutral elevator jig template (be careful because there is a bit of play in that, not much but a bit). Then measure the wing incidence relative to the stab. The wing should be +1.5 positive in relationship to the horizontal stab. The canalizer is not adjustable but is set to match the wing incidence at the factory setting. Make sure that your canalizer is fitting flush in the mount and that the TE is not raised.

This +1.5 wing incidence is a starting point for the airframe. Adjustment may be necessary depending upon final CG setting and preference. Moving the CG may require adjustment to the wing incidence to restore elevator trim to zero.

If you are indeed at +0.8, this might explain why you had some pitching on knife edge. Try bumping up the incidence and see. I think I am at +1.3 so I'll dial in a bit more on mine.

Hope this helps. I'll update as I get more info on mine and verify where I am at. I think it's probably a good idea to install adjusters on this one, especially if you move the CG around.

Rechecked the wing incidence relative to the tail, and yes, still 0.8 positive.
So, returned the elevator to 0 relative to the stab using the supplied jig, used the wing incidence adjusters to eliminate the (right) aileron trim, then set the wing to 1.5 positive.
Set the c of g at 270 mm from the back of the canopy floor, and voila ! no k/e mix, to pitch or roll, vertical uplines fine ;no pitch or yaw.
Power-off vertical downs still need a fair bit of the usual throttle to elevator mix, more than I'm used to at 5% on a JR Tx, but flyable.
Needs more fine tuning, but all-in -all the c of g at 260-270,and the decalage at 1.5, definitely suits the model.
Many thanks for the advice!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:17 AM
serious power

Hi,
Have you reset the cannaliser or is it now at -1.0

Brian
Old 11-11-2012, 01:02 PM
f3a05

ORIGINAL: serious power

Hi,
Have you reset the cannaliser or is it now at -1.0

Brian
It is at -1.0 relative to the wing, thus + 0.5 to the tail.
Photos just now, meter left on between shots:
Tail:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Wing:

Canaliser:

Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got a chance to go put in a few more flights yesterday. I am still fine tuning the incidence, thrust, and subtle mixing. I'm liking the way it flies. I LOVE the snaps. It really does the opposite snaps in F13 nicely. I'll fly again this weekend again and do some more trimming. I had a bit of a pull to canopy on upline so I put another shim for down thrust and we'll test that next time out. I found that my elevator throws weren't quite aligned so I tweaked that setup a bit as well. My canalizer and wing are pretty close, my latest measurement shows that my wing is +0.2 relative to the canalizer.

I started setting up my new DTFS wings on the Nuance so I'll be interested in seeing how it compares to the original wings and the Episode. My thoughts from yesterday were that the Nuance has a slight edge for P13, but we'll see how that holds up as I get the Episode dialed in.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:05 AM
pippy

Hi shannah, I would be very interested to know how the DTFS wings operate on the Nuance as I may purchase a set. Post ASAP please
Old 11-23-2012, 06:02 PM
shannah

Hello Paul,

I will try and get those wings installed and tested shortly. I saw a set fly on Kris Fitzsimmons' Nuance at our District 7 meet recently. It looked very good in the air. I'm anxious for some side by side comparison on mine. I have a round of travel coming up for work so hopefully I can give it a shot next week, otherwise it will be later in December.

FWIW, on the topic of the Episode, I was able to do some real sequence practice with the Episode today. It flies really well. I still need to get used to the rudder as it is sensitive, but I am getting that dialed in. It feels very solid in the air overall.

Steve
Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 PM
shannah

Hi Paul,

Sorry, I got the wings fitted to the Nuance but it has been raining for the past couple days. I'll post on the Nuance thread when I get a chance to fly it. Probably won't be for a couple weeks due to work commitments.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

The ship with the Episode ARFs arrived today in port, once they clear Customs and are delivered to us we will get them back out to everyone who ordered one. That should occur within a week barring any Customs delays.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 AM
shannah

I thought I would post this link to a good cheap 70mm CF spinner. There aren't a lot of good 70mm spinners to choose from out there. I cut my own cooling holes (I'll post a pic when I get home). It's fairly light and looks good. A bit on the pointy side, but for the price ($25) it's great.

http://sdshobbyusa.net/index.php?mai...oducts_id=3103
Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 AM
shannah

I got a chance to squeeze in a couple flights yesterday. I was trying a 20x13 prop per BJ's suggestion. He recommends a 20" pitch because he says that the smaller diameter is more compatible with the canalizer. I thought it was a bit less yaw sensitive and rolled more axially (although it was pretty nice on the 21x14). It was faster overall, but not too bad.

I am just about ready to fix the rear anti rotation pins in place since I think my incidence is OK. I made a very slight thrust adjustment that I want to test before I do that however.

I still think this is a real solid flying airframe. It takes more work to fly it as smooth in P13 as the Nuance but it clearly excels in the more difficult FAI maneuvers. I hope to get out and do some more serious sequence flying over the next few weeks. I'll post my updates and progress.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 PM
ram_z

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info.

Since I will set up my Episode with contra drive, I wonder which prop and gear ratio I sould start with...
Any ideas?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM
shannah

I am not sure which prop and gear set would be best. Perhaps Tony F. can chime in on this. He's flown mine and has some thoughts as to the contra drive application on the Episode. Tony?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:22 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

I would start with the 10.16 ratio gears and a 22x20 on the front cut to 21.5 length. On the rear I would use a 22x22 cut to 21 length. I've run that a lot on the Nuance and it seems a good way to go. I doubt if the Episode wants to be flown any faster then the Nuance. It might even want to be flown a little slower. If so you can run the same props with either the 10.33 ratio or the 10.56.

I'm supposed to be getting an Episode soon so I'll know more after I get a chance to fly it with the Contra.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.