Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Grumman Albatross Build

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Grumman Albatross Build

Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM
ralphiecaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grumman Albatross Build

Here we go folks. Winter is here and that means building season! I am making a 30cc grumman albatross from scratch this year. Feel free to comment or ask questions. I will try to post a lot so anyone watching can learn something, so if you want to read go ahead, if you just want to skim thats cool too! Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67187.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	1818675  
Old 11-08-2012, 02:39 PM
ralphiecaps

Default RE: Grumman Albatross Build

After recently moving to the land of 10,000 lakes it had to be a floatplane, and I wanted something out of the ordinary. However, nobody has a kit for this plane, or even plans. But this is what I really want to build now, so it is going to be a shoot from the hip adventure.
Image 1

It started on a scrap of paper to figure out basic dimensions and wood I would need.
Yep, that paper and the idea in my head brought me to a box of wood. I selected the size of the plane based on what wood was the cheapest. Got 42 inch boards of balsa so my wing is in 3 sections at 42 inches each = 126 inch wingspan. For a plane this size and I got all of my wood for $100 to my door!
Image 2

Now with wood and some ideas on how it is going to be constructed I made some generic plans from 3 view drawings I found online. They are a very rough sketch, mostly for me to get proper shapes and proportions. There are no rib outlines, fuselage formers, etc. Just a rough outline. Wish me luck!
Image 3
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67150.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1818676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92732.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1818677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38617.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1818678  
Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That is pretty much how I have "designed" my scratch built models. I have done some serious sketching in areas like the nacelles that get very crowded to sort structure and location. Lots of stuff in a Hs-129 nacelle.
Neat subject. Good luck.
Chuck
Old 11-08-2012, 05:30 PM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...itz an advanced method of design called TLAR....that looks about right...used it ofren..bo
Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 PM
ralphiecaps

changed this to a blog. Check out Albatross30.blogspot.com if you want to follow build of this airplane. It is easier to post photos and video there. Thanks!