Zenoah G20EI Ignition no spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Racinrc14
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G20EI Ignition no spark

Hello all,

I have a brand new Zenoah G20ei. I wired everything up as per the instructions. Thought I had done everything right. What I discovered was that I had used an old switch (probably Airtronics) for the ignition battery that had the positive wire on the outside of plug, and turned the ignition on before I realized it was backwards. Of course, now I have no spark. I have tried to get the ignition to fire on the bench by plugging in a fresh 4.8 battery (and using the correct polarity) and grounding the plug against the jug and switching the ignition on then off. This yields no spark. Have I fried the whole shebang by reversing the input voltage? I'm hoping to avoid having to buy a new ignition, and Adrian at CH can fix me up for about $100 bucks, but I was hoping maybe an expert here can maybe pick up something I'm missing and save my bacon. Thanks in advance,

-Tommy
Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Zenoah G20EI Ignition no spark

ORIGINAL: Racinrc14

Hello all,

I have a brand new Zenoah G20ei. I wired everything up as per the instructions. Thought I had done everything right. What I discovered was that I had used an old switch (probably Airtronics) for the ignition battery that had the positive wire on the outside of plug, and turned the ignition on before I realized it was backwards. Of course, now I have no spark. I have tried to get the ignition to fire on the bench by plugging in a fresh 4.8 battery (and using the correct polarity) and grounding the plug against the jug and switching the ignition on then off. This yields no spark. Have I fried the whole shebang by reversing the input voltage? I'm hoping to avoid having to buy a new ignition, and Adrian at CH can fix me up for about $100 bucks, but I was hoping maybe an expert here can maybe pick up something I'm missing and save my bacon. Thanks in advance,

-Tommy
Probably blew you hall sensor. Try that first. Adrian has them.
BCCHI
Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 AM
jymz

Sounds like its toast. You can get a replacement for it here http://www.rcextremepower.net/ignitions.html thats better than the stock unit. Its not a power hog like the Zenoah and it does not weigh as much.

This was in the FS forum http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=880829
Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

If the ignition is in fact toast as I suspect it might be, do yourself a big favour and get a replacement plug and play RC exl unit from Milton at RC Extreme power and go enjoy your G20.

Karol
Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

i would follow BCCHI suggestion first,he made these ignitions for years.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Racinrc14

[/quote]
BCCHI
[/quote]

I thought that's what I was checking when I switched the ignition on then off. If you get spark when doing this doesn't this indicate a faulty hall sensor? I have a replacement Zenoah sensor on the way, it was cheap enough. Is there a way to troubleshoot the hall sensor?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: Racinrc14

BCCHI
[/quote]

I thought that's what I was checking when I switched the ignition on then off. If you get spark when doing this doesn't this indicate a faulty hall sensor? I have a replacement Zenoah sensor on the way, it was cheap enough. Is there a way to troubleshoot the hall sensor?
[/quote]
OK,I am brain dead sorry. I was thinking C&H or RCEXL.I do not no about testing the Zen ignition except it draws close to three amps.
BCCHI
Old 11-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Racinrc14

3 amps?!? Holy crap! I might just order one of the others anyway...
Old 11-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Racinrc14

We have ignition! It was indeed the sensor as BCCHI suggested. So, for Zenoah ignitions, turning the ignition on then off with the plug grounded to the crankcase is not a definitive check of the hall sensor as it may be for other ignitions.

Thanks guys!
-Tommy