Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know what this might be?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Does anyone know what this might be?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 02:42 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Does anyone know what this might be?

Yup I hear ya, I still fly a couple of ships with coupled baffle throttles and those are always fun watching the reaction, abnormally quite at idle but at full tilt watch out
Old 11-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Johnkpap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't disregard 1960's engines for a powerplant:- One of the most reliable engines I own
is a OS 60 Gold head it is not as powerfull as a newer 61/60 engine but very well made. I use it on my scratch built
Jensen Ugly Stick. I managed to find a vintage flow through Muffler to fit this engine as well.

MECOA should be able supply a Kavan Muffler to fit your Veco 45, they also should have the plate
and plugs to remove the baffle.

Another nice 1960's engine that is also very reliable is a Webra 61 chrome or black head, these were built to
really last strong castings big bearings ect .....

Also you need to run 20%-25% castor oil through these engines they were designed for it. Plain bearing engines need 25%
I use castrol M on all my nice old engines. 5% nitro is normaly enough, Engines from Europe will run well on 0% nitro !!!

World Engines Servos are these day junk, they have fragile nylon gears that will crack and fail not worth bothering with.

Good luck with the project

Johnkpap
Old 11-13-2012, 04:42 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Fleet: VECO 45 , Wow! I haven't seen one in years. T'was a powerhouse. I had a VECO 35 RC. Had a unique exhaust flap that would come down with the throttle to keep the heat in.
Ray, that flap was an exhaust baffle for back pressure so it could idle without a muffler.

I remember the model mag articles, concerns about power loss in engines by requiring mufflers, the aftermarket mufflers such as aluminum Tatones, Dubro's minimal muffler that could be made to barely muffle, and etc. Then some genius came up with Schneurle porting, better muffler designs and the rest is history.