Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Best chassis for Honda CRX shell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
poor judgement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best chassis for Honda CRX shell?

Hi

Its been a long time since Ive been here, but Ive got a CRX shell on order and will be needing a chassis to go with it. The shell is as below -

Wheelbase is stated as 210mm, width as 160mm.

It seems to be difficult in finding anyone who has this and what they have fitted it to. Ive searched high and low and found next to nothing other than it needs careful cutting or the shell will sit too high.

I understand that it will work with Tamiyas M03, M05, HPIs Cup Racer (SWB) and HPIs Switch chassis', but Ive no idea which would be my best bet for fit, handling, upgrades, reliability/strength and parts support. I live in the UK so there shouldnt be any issue with parts from HPI or Tamiya but would like some feedback from anyone who has experience of this shell and on what chassis.

If theres noone with experience of this particular shell, could anyone tell me what issues I may hit with the short wheel base Tamiya M chassis range, be it FWD, 4WD or RWD?

Any help is much appreciated as I own a 1:1 CRX and would like this to be a copy, built well, and above all very fast and very nice looking too. Id also like to find a set of Buddy Club P1/Kosei K1 style wheels to go with it if thats at all possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Best chassis for Honda CRX shell?

M05.. front wheel drive, competitive in it's class, upgradeable, and fun. I's say look for some similar Enkei's, they shouldn't be too hard to find.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 AM
poor judgement

Thanks for the reply.

I had a Mini with what I seem to remember was an M-03 chassis, and yes it was a fun little thing, but if I could have a 4wd chassis under that shell Id prefer it. Im just not sure it would fit under the shell or if Tamiya even do 4wd in a 210mm wheelbase?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:25 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

You could look at the TA05 M-Four, the only belt driven 4WD Mini I'm aware off, there are others (Non-Tamiya) but shaft driven.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 PM
poor judgement

Cheers, Ive had a look at the TA05 M4, but Id prefer shaft driven, its just less hassle for bashing about and leaves the option of rally shells and wheels and a bit more fun.

Trouble is - I dont want to end up with some random chinese chassis thats pants and I cant get parts for. Ive had a search around and thats all Ive found. Am I missing something or is that the way it is?

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated as Ive been out of the scene for a long time and electric stuff on-road stuff isnt what Im used to.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about a mini tt01? That's shaft driven

3 racing make a conversion chassis

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-MINI-...-/220561291073

Wouldent recomend the hpi switch, a 20 year old Tamiya M03 is heaps better
Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 PM
poor judgement

Thanks, that conversion has been pointed out to me elsewhere and looks promising, even if it needs a little fettling to get a true 210mm wheelbase.

I think thats that sorted. Thanks very much, Ive even found some wheels that are just about a perfect copy of the 1:1. If I get it all sorted Ill post photos etc up of the results.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:41 PM
poor judgement

Right, Ive bought a TT01 chassis with the 3Racing conversion already fitted. Got alloy shocks and bits and some carbon towers with it and electrics... Im new to electric RC stuff, so could anyone tell me if the following are any good:

Reedy MVP 24* Stock motor
Kopropo KSC-1000FR ESC
Steering servo and reciever look to be standard items that I can swap with bits from my nitro stash.

What Im wanting from the car is some pretty serious speed but not eating its own gears every time it goes out. Bearings and differentials will be upgraded along with adding the alloy prop shaft.
But Im guessing that motor and ESC wont be all that great? I dont yet have a battery or charger to try it out...

Is there a guide to matching batteries, ESCs and motors anywhere?