Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash 2wd Brushless replacment

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 PM
tabrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slash 2wd Brushless replacment

So, my stock motor finally crapped out. I ended up getting a repair jub at the local hobby store so I thought why not save up some cash and buy a decent brushless system. Here's the catch, it needs to be waterproof, and also around $80. If anyone has any specific ones they like, can you send a link my way?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:27 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Slash 2wd Brushless replacment

ORIGINAL: tabrown

So, my stock motor finally crapped out. I ended up getting a repair jub at the local hobby store so I thought why not save up some cash and buy a decent brushless system. Here's the catch, it needs to be waterproof, and also around $80. If anyone has any specific ones they like, can you send a link my way?
Do you plan to keep the stock ESC? Otherwise HPI has 2 models available; of them, the Vapor is programmable with Castlelink. I'm not sure what else is out there but this is all I found with a quick search.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBPFY&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBSPK&P=7

Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 PM
tabrown

I'll probaby keep the stock ESC just in case. I kind like the second one, I heard hobbywing (?) had a good one.
ORIGINAL: BKoz559

ORIGINAL: tabrown

Do you plan to keep the stock ESC? Otherwise HPI has 2 models available; of them, the Vapor is programmable with Castlelink. I'm not sure what else is out there but this is all I found with a quick search.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBPFY&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBSPK&P=7

Old 11-12-2012, 02:11 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you keep the Velineon ESC then you can attach any brushless motor and call it good. The motors themselves aren't technically waterproof but, an electric motor can function while submerged underwater. The bigger issue is that the bearings will rust and dirt gets inside the can causing all kinds of problems. If, however, you are like most people and splash through a puddle or two and drive through wet grass then any motor suitable for 1/10 applications will suffice. Don't "submarine" it and you'll be fine.

Traxxas and HPI market these systems as waterproof because the ESC has been sealed or treated with a waterproof coating so it can function while wet or even submerged. I've seen a Traxxas system in a 1/16 Slash go completely underwater and it drove away without a hitch. So, Iguess they really are waterproof but, I wouldn't do that myself. Besides, dirt and whatever else is in the water will get into the deepest crevices of your vehicle and all the metal parts will rust if you don't thoroughly clean and re-lube them.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:19 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just wondering why would u need a waterproof 2wd slash?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 PM
tabrown

Well one, it was the stock 12t and XL5, but I am a basher. I absolulty LOVE running in the snow, I love it! Mudding and such, which I have a Slash 4x4 which I am sending in the venom ESC. Those are just a few reasons why I want a waterproof esc.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahhh, makes sence, I forget the rest of the world had snow lol...
Those ezrun 80a look good and are waterproof, I've never had one so I can say. But I know there 35a esc are very reliable, I trust hobbywing.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 PM
tabrown

Alrighty, can I get a link to both? Thanks alot for all the input and such guys! means alot!