Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Why Use A Fail Safe.... See Photos!

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Why Use A Fail Safe.... See Photos!

Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why Use A Fail Safe.... See Photos!

Why Use a fail safe you ask....

A customer of ours ran his Rampage XT without one and the result was $400 worth of damage. Luckily nobody was injured or anyone car or house damaged.
Wide open into a concrete curb. Started the truck up without the transmitter on, went wide open and this is the result...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8924382&type=1
Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Why Use A Fail Safe.... See Photos!

man that sucks

never a good thing to turn a model on before the radio is on~!

I thought the XT had a built in failsafe? Or does that only work when radio signal is lost...and not when there wasnt a signal to begin with?

The 1st day I ran my KM baja I ran into a 4x4 board that was in the ground. bent the main chassis and upper front plate. $80 for a new upper plate and bent the main chassis back. I got lucky. With 1/5's you have to be more careful where you run and that you have everything setup, due to their size and speed.

Too bad you didnt get it on video[:@]
Old 11-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

man that sucks

I thought the XT had a built in failsafe? Or does that only work when radio signal is lost...and not when there wasnt a signal to begin with?

The 1st day I ran my KM baja I ran into a 4x4 board that was in the ground. bent the main chassis and upper front plate. $80 for a new upper plate and bent the main chassis back. I got lucky. With 1/5's you have to be more careful where you run and that you have everything setup, due to their size and speed.

On the XTs we have sold to customers, the FailSafe comes as an extra and must be installed. The good news there is almost every one that we have set up for customers works properly just plugging it in. No need so far to set it up. We do quite a bit of overseas sales and many of our customers have us set the trucks up, break the engines in and give them a good once over so when they arrive abroad, they are 100% ready to go.

But you are 100% correct, safety is paramount with any large scale R/C vehicle.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Giant_Scale_Gasser

man that sucks

On the XTs we have sold to customers, the Fail Safe comes as an extra and must be installed. The good news there is almost every one that we have set up for customers works properly just plugging it in. No need so far to set it up. We do quite a bit of overseas sales and many of our customers have us set the trucks up, break the engines in and give them a good once over so when they arrive abroad, they are 100% ready to go.

thats kinda what I thought. Ive owned nearly all the electric models and a couple of nitros....but not a 1/5.

I dropship sell on ebay....I get a bunch of messages from people in mexico an other places wanting Redcat stuff. Where do you primerally sell the 1/5's to? Must be a bit pricey to ship those!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

man that sucks

On the XTs we have sold to customers, the FailSafe comes as an extra and must be installed. The good news there is almost every one that we have set up for customers works properly just plugging it in. No need so far to set it up. We do quite a bit of overseas sales and many of our customers have us set the trucks up, break the engines in and give them a good once over so when they arrive abroad, they are 100% ready to go.

thats kinda what I thought. Ive owned nearly all the electric models and a couple of nitros....but not a 1/5.

I dropship sell on ebay....I get a bunch of messages from people in mexico an other places wanting Redcat stuff. Where do you primerally sell the 1/5's to? Must be a bit pricey to ship those!
We ship all over the planet. When shipping something this big and this expensive, think of it like Poker, only bet what you are willing to lose. Every International transaction is a gamble. You can get burned at any minute. At the volume we do, I get burned for about $10,000 every year. But the experiences of meeting new people and satisfying people all over the planet is enough to offset the loss.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

wow, right now I dont even sell more than 20k per year.

Id love to do the volume you must do.

But for now, I make just enough $$$ to help support my habbit....I mean hobby
Old 11-13-2012, 09:18 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we went to Tucson I raced my father-in-law's RC8. Afterwards I turned the radio off. Had no idea at the time. People started yelling "who turned off their radio?!" It climbed a fence, hit a curb and hit a cinderblock wall before it landed upside down and the engine died. Frame was all twisted up but all in all it wasn't as bad as you'd expect.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 PM
kelynsdad1023

if I woke uptomorrow morning with my head sewn to the carpet I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now !
Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Kill switch is way better then a fail safe ( I throw all fail safes in the trash) kill switch would not have even let you crank the truck without the radio on, and if there is a servo faliue the fail sfae will do nothing for you but with a kill switch you can always shut off the motor.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: rchobbyunlimited

Kill switch is way better then a fail safe( I throw all fail safes in the trash)kill switch would not have even let you crank the truck without the radio on, and if there is a servo faliue the fail sfae will do nothing for you but with a kill switch you can always shut off the motor.
How is a kill switch going to help if the model is already running and you lose signal from the transmitter? Or if while running the antenna tube vibrates loose and the antenna gets ripped off after getting tangled up in the driveshaft?

I'll take all the fail safes you throw away. Let me know, I'll send you a pre-paid shipping label for them.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 AM
1320Fastback

I guess he got what he wanted because if he wanted to be in control of the model he would of had the TX on first.

Unfortunately I imagine he is claiming it is a warranty issue and not negligence.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Kill switch is way better then a fail safe( I throw all fail safes in the trash)kill switch would not have even let you crank the truck without the radio on, and if there is a servo faliue the fail sfae will do nothing for you but with a kill switch you can always shut off the motor.
How is a kill switch going to help if the model is already running and you lose signal from the transmitter? Or if while running the antenna tube vibrates loose and the antenna gets ripped off after getting tangled up in the driveshaft?

I'll take all the fail safes you throw away. Let me know, I'll send you a pre-paid shipping label for them.

Because if you loose any signal the kill swicth will kill the engine even if the antenna gets ripped off a fail safe will not work if you lose power of any kind it needs power to work, and a kill switch will not let the car crank if the radio is not on.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Dads like rc too

Because if you loose any signal the kill swicth will kill the engine even if the antenna gets ripped off a fail safe will not work if you lose power of any kind it needs power to work, and a kill switch will not let the car crank if the radio is not on.
This is what many people just don't understand. If you don't rubber band your batteries and one pops out while jumping, the fail safe is dead. Same goes for when a battery pack unplugs while bashing. There are many different scenarios as to how you can lose battery connection but the bottom line is when you do, you also lose your fail safe. I'm not against fail safes, I just don't put all my peace of mind in having one. It's hard to guard against every type of runaway, but at least attempt to prevent them. I personally like having a throttle return spring better than a fail safe if I had to choose only one. Luckily in this hobby you don't have to choose. I run both when I can.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:35 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Very well put!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:40 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Giant Scale Racer where do you race at in FL????? Would love to join you. All the large scale races that I have been in unless is just a club race will not let you race 5th scales without a kill switch you have to start your car drive to line for them to set up croos the line to make sure that your car is being read by the loop then shut your car down while you are on the driver stand to make sure that a kill switch is installed.