Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Seidel 7-70 radial: Help me decide!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Seidel 7-70 radial: Help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Seidel 7-70 radial: Help me decide!

Seidel was the original German company who had been making these for what 10-12 years?...Evolutions are now producd in India...they must hav bough the patent rights and the machinery I imagine to produce them.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:27 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Mein Duff
A recent conversation about them was that they run just great on 95% alcohol and only 5 % oil.
It's not that they "run great" on 5% oil, it's that since they operate at lower RPMs and the the fuel has to be 99% methonol with no nitro, the engine operates at a much lower temperature so not much oil is needed.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Mein Duff

Does anybody know if Microsens in Germany still exits?.. tried to email them but my email bounced back.... humm... not a good sign..
Or could what alternatives do I have for my 7-70 Seidel??
Thanks guys...
Old 10-24-2012, 04:28 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine who has had 2 siedel 7-70's for 15 years or so just runs an 7000mah F cell. + wire from the battery runs to a brass plate glued across the top of the body of a standard servo. A second brass plate is screwed to the servo arm and runs a + wire up to the bundle of 7 plug wires. The servo is switch activated so he can turn on or off juice to the plugs. With a decent computer radio I think you can also mix it to have the servo throw at low throttle as well. He's never had a glitching problem when the contacts are thrown nor has he ever had the system fail. Just use a heavy guage wire like 16 ga.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Mein Duff

Very interesting... thanks Rbacons
Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 PM
abufletcher

Microsens' website seems to still be there:

http://www.microsens.at/shopping/ind...5caa495b632e8b
Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: radial1951

Hi Martin

You raised an interesting point. Many people fall into the ''SCALE'' trap!! Perhaps an explanation may clarify...

If a full size plane, or any 3 Dimensional object, is e.g. 2000lb then a 1/4 scale model is NOT 1/4 of the mass of the full size. It will be the CUBE of the scale factor i.e. 4 cubed = 64 Therefore the mass will be 1/64th of 2000lb = 31.25lb this assumes that EVERY component has the same material density and is exactly 1/4 of the SIZE in length, width and thickness.

Typically, 1/4 scale models vary from the calculated mass either because the materials are usually less dense e.g. balsa vs spruce, aluminium vs steel, CF vs metal etc. AND / OR, the sizes of frame members are often larger than true scale size as the chosen material may be too weak in very thin sections.

For a 2 Dimensional object, say WING AREA, it is the SQUARE of the scale factor which does the job i.e. for 1/4 scale, 4 squared = 16 Therefore the wing area will be 1/16th of the full size plane's wing area.

So we have a 1/4 scale model with a wing area of 1/16th of the full size, supporting only 1/64th of the mass and therefore a much lower than ''scale'' wingloading. This very much works in our favour...

Regards RossG
radial1951

ORIGINAL: Spuetz

Just some musings around this:

Also: A model at 1/4th scale does not weigh 1/4th of the full size. Otherwise we'd be looking at 500 lbs or more per model...

All in all: when it comes to weight, power needed, air resistance and so on, scale is not a linear function, but has an exponential element to it...

Cheers, Martin
Which is why guys flying huge models, like a Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Pup, with a prop reduction unit can fly around fine with scale propellers.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Spuetz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Mein Duff,

may be you can't contact Microsens because they are NOTa German company? they are Austrian...
here's Peter Klementschitz' contact page:
http://www.microsens.at/kontakt.htm
His Phone number is: +43 (34 52) 76 3 14-0

I flew my Aero again last Weekend - beautiful. HoweverI noticed some vibration on idle. As I wanted to check glow plugs, valves etc. I took the cowling off only to find that I lost one of the three bolts that hold the engine in place. Further inspection showed that I had lost another one on the backside of the fire wall. In effect the engine was hangin on ONEBOLT!!! Well not quite true: It was also hanging onto the collector ring (seven points) whicht is bolted to the fire wall on four points. That alone would have been enough to keep the engine in place. But anyhow, kind of a shock.
Learning:never get too comfortable with a well running system - do your regular checks!

Cheers, Martin
Old 10-25-2012, 02:02 AM
rcten

Microsens is alive and well, received an order from them back in Sept.
Their email add. is: [email protected] and web site: www.Microsens.at/home1e.htm
Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 AM
abufletcher

Better late than never. [:-] I just placed my order for the GLOW7LP and the GLOW BALANCER: 118 Euros shipped to Japan. [X(] Luckily the yen's still strong.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Mein Duff

ORIGINAL: rcten

Microsens is alive and well, received an order from them back in Sept.
Their email add. is: [email protected] and web site: Microsens.at/home1e.htm

Ahhh ....Ich Dumbkopf... I was sending to " [email protected]".....

I'm sure it will go through this time...thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Mein Duff

Has anybody tried out the Sullivan Glo system for multi cylinder engines?

Any comparison to Microsens?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Mein Duff

oops heres the link to sullivan glo..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Engines_.html
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM
abufletcher

To me, it looks crude by comparison, and those plug caps would be ugly let alone not fit in a cowl. Also I can't find any mention of a 7-cylinder version (only 3, 4 and 5). And it's not particularly cheap either. BTW, did you engine come with a set of glow cables? And since you can't use the GLOW BALANCER with it, you have to manually deal with the odd cylinder problem and the uneven heat of lower cylinders with the GLOW BALANCER automatically adjusts.

Here's a key page in this long thread that discussed the setup issues. Unfortunately, RCU has wiped out all the imagines. But Martin's useful explanations to my boneheaded questions are still there.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...21/key_/tm.htm

At the bottom of that page, Bob mentions using a 7-cylinder glow system by Sonic Tronic:

http://sonictronics.com/xcart/produc...cat=308&page=1
Old 10-25-2012, 04:24 PM
rcten

Hi, yes I have, as a matter of fact I have 3cyl, 5cyl, a 7cyl, and 9cyl unit they work fine,can be set to work with the throttle position or a switch , I also have a 7 and 9cyl Microsens with the balance unit. The reason I am trying Microsens is physical size (they are much more compact) and the fact I can use a 5amp 3.7 lipo for power.The problem with the Sullivan unit is it will only work with 4.8, which is OK for the 3cyls, a 1400 nicad pack is fine but the 7 and 9 require a 3000+ mah pack.The nimh, nicad.,I have tried or used don't seem to hold up very long. The 7cyl draws 7 to 8 amps and the 9cyl draws 9 to 10 amps. I even used a voltage reg. so I could use a 7.4 lipo which worked fine,(Sullivan doesn't recommend this) but more items in the loop to go wrong.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:33 AM
abufletcher

The GLOW 7 LP and GLOW BALANCER from Microsens arrived (from Austria to Japan) today, a little less than three weeks after I ordered it. Oh, boy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40029.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1820223  
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Mein Duff

Glad you got yours... Now that I know they have them in stock I will order mine....hope it works out well for you.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 AM
abufletcher

Now that I have the GLOW 7 LP and GLOW BALANCER in my hands I've been re-reading Spuetz' kind and patient explanations from many moons ago:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...21/key_/tm.htm

Finally, I think I get how everything is connected to everything else:

1. The GLOW 7 LP is connected to the Rx via a built-in standard connector using either a Y-cable on the Throttle channel or on a separate slaved channel.
2. The GLOW 7 LP is connected to the GLOW BALANCER via two yellow wires with a male MPX plug.
3. The ends of the seven individual glow plug cables (which need to be unbundled) go into the numbered slots on the GLOW BALANCER.
4. The battery for the on-board glow is connect to the GLOW 7 LP via a dean's plug connection (with the extra connector for the battery provided).

So I think I can get it all set up on my test stand. For it to work though, you need to run through a "auto-programming" sequence with the Tx...which I still need to wrap my head around. (Some of the English translations in the instructions are a bit funky.)
Old 11-15-2012, 04:23 AM
abufletcher

Hmmm...still some confusion. [:-] The instructions state: "You can use either 3 NiCd/NiMH cells or 1 LiPo cell, the cell number is detected automatically."

OK, fine. That sounds like I can't use the 5-cell 6V 2000mAh NiMH pack I had bought to run the glow system. Spuetz recommended getting the biggest battery I could get stating: "In my Nieuport I have two 2-cell, 1000 mAh receiver batteries and the 6400 1 cell Glow battery..."

A 1-cell 6400 battery? I don't even know what that is. [X(]

Ah. LiPo. And another 60 or so Euros.

http://www.microsens.at/shopping/ind...5_BATTERY.html
Old 11-15-2012, 04:57 AM
Spuetz

That sounds like I can't use the 5-cell 6V 2000mAh NiMH pack I had bought to run the glow system
Hello Don,

no, you can't. Unless you take it apart and make a 3 cell battery from it. However you would end up with only 2000 mAh - not very much.
I reccomend using Lipos. Now you're right, I don't think they make single cells with 6000 mAh yet. However, microsens offers "parallel packs". They are in effect made from several cells - eg. 4 cells. However, they are not soldered together in line as per "normal" packs, but rather paralelly. That means: all plus poles of the cells together and all minus poles together. That gives you 3.7 volt and the capacity of each cell TIMES the number of cells. e.g.: 4 cells, each with a capacity of 1500 mAh, soldered together parallely, gives you a 3,7 V, 6000 mAh battery. If you soldered them together in the "usual" way, that is minus of one cell to plus of the next and so on, you would have 14,8V and 1500 mAh capacity.
remember:
in-line adds up theVolts
parallel adds up the capacity.

by the way, if youcan get a hold of single cells - eg. four single 1500cell, soldering them together is very easy. just stack them, so all plus poles are on top of each other and all minus poles on the other side on top of each other. Solder themtogether and attacha cable.Bingo.And since you arealready putting them together paralelly, no balancing is needed. You can treat that pack asthough it was just one cell. makescharging very easy.

However, I have the feeling that Ihave written that somewhere before in this thread, I believe with diagrams. If so, please excuse my repeating myself...
Cheers, Martin
Old 11-15-2012, 05:16 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Spuetz
no, you can't.
Bummer. Maybe a clubmate as a suitable LiPo I can borrow to get my system up and running.

However, microsens offers ''parallel packs''. They are in effect made from several cells - eg. 4 cells.
I wonder if anyplace in Japan sells parallel packs.

However, I have the feeling that I have written that somewhere before in this thread, I believe with diagrams. If so, please excuse my repeating myself...
I think it was on the same page (of this thread) that I linked to above. I do now get the idea of inline vs. parallel so I guess I'm making some progress.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 AM
rcten

HobbyKing sells 1S2P 5000mah 50C nano-tech lipos, I have 2 , one for each 7 and 9 cyl radials using microsens glow drivers and they work fine.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 AM
abufletcher

They have like a gazillion batteries and I can't seem to find exactly the one you mention. []

Is this the one?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...APPROVED_.html

It would sure be nice to have a battery with a dean's plug already installed. Also what's the deal with "hardcase" LiPos. Never heard of that.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

hard case lipos are for the cars guys where they bash them a lot. It's just crash protection
Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 AM
rcten

Yes, that's the one.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...APPROVED_.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.