Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

OMP Pro Yak

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:07 AM
The RC Dude
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP Pro Yak

I ordered a OMP Pro Yak ARF and I am getting my parts in order while I wait for it arrive. I have a Saito 82. I am debating between HiTec servos either 5625 or 5645. What would be better?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:43 AM
AFSalmon

Default RE: OMP Pro Yak

ORIGINAL: The RC Dude

I ordered a OMP Pro Yak ARF and I am getting my parts in order while I wait for it arrive. I have a Saito 82. I am debating between HiTec servos either 5625 or 5645. What would be better?
Holy cow both those servos are about 3 times the power you need for this 40 size slab but to choose between the two I'd pickl the speed over the torque so go with the 5625 as it is slightly faster and still has over twice the torque you really need for this plane.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
The RC Dude

I have the Pro Yak almost done. A few small items left, then it is to the field. Any one else building a Pro Yak. Mine did not have the cool OMP, Pro Yak decals on the wings. What's up with that?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:50 PM
AFSalmon

I have the Pro Yak almost done. A few small items left, then it is to the field. Any one else building a Pro Yak. Mine did not have the cool OMP, Pro Yak decals on the wings. What's up with that?
Those are vinyl graphics I cut myself using the alexis italic font. 3" letters I think.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:33 PM
The RC Dude

Thanks Mike. I will have to do some cutting tonight. Or maybe barrow my brother in law's vinal cutting maching.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:00 PM
The RC Dude

Mike, what font did u use for the Pro Bro on the tail on the pro yak? Mark
Old 04-26-2009, 06:52 AM
AFSalmon

Mike, what font did u use for the Pro Bro on the tail on the pro yak? Mark
Good question, I used the standard Pro Bro font which off the top of my head I can't recall. I had to rebuild my computer a few months ago and it is not one of the standard fonts. Do a search for the probro font over on the bro forum and you won't have any problems finding it. Or maybe one of the regular bros here can mention it. Sorry, just can't remember it!!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 AM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

wizard font.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:46 AM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

http://www.swanyshouse.com/misc/wizzard.ttf

You can get it from there, if you must have it!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 PM
The RC Dude

Thanks Bro.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 AM
CYCLONEMAN55

Can someone tell me at about what CG this plane gets very nuetral. ie roll inverted and very little down elevator is needed. The manual says 4.75 to 5.5 is the CG window. I will be hanging a Avaistar .46 on the nose weighing 18 oz. Should I mount the motor forward or aft on the engine mount? Also is the 2 degrees of right thrust doingthe trick for this plane? This will be my first glow profile. I have a small electric profile and has become my favorite plane. Hoping the Pro Yak will let me fly in a little more wind. We don't get many calm days here in Texas.
Lee Mitchell
Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 AM
AFSalmon

I would recommend starting your cg at about 5.25" back if you want a more neutral plane. Build the entire plane ready to fly except leave out the battery and don't mount the motor yet. Then use rubber bands to hold the motor in place making sure you have the muffler and prop/spinner attached. Check the cg location and decide where you can mount the motor and battery pack. With the .46 I'd say you will probably mount the motor in the middle or front of the rails and the battery in the middle of the wing. Each ARF is slightly different though so go through these steps to help you decide before you drill holes. Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:58 PM
CYCLONEMAN55

Where are you guys mounting the reciever?. In the wing or on the fuse. I will betaking the wings off mine to transport it to the field. My battery will be in the wing along with the switch. Is there any kind of a channel to get from the wing to outside the fuse?
Lee Mitchell
Old 06-05-2009, 07:12 AM
AFSalmon

Lee, mount the rx in the fuselage opening and run short servo leads for the aileron connections. Battery can still be in left wing along with the switch mounted in the top sheeting. Run the battery through the switch and the output of the switch through a Y-harness with the left aileron servo. The Y-harness then plugs into the left aileron channel of the rx. We've been doing this on two-piece wing profiles for years and it's the trick setup. Keep in ind the battery can actually be plugged into any port of the rx and with this setup, you maintain only one connection between the wing and fuse.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:33 AM
CYCLONEMAN55

Mike Thanks for the help. I think I have got this thing figured out. Do you know what font OMP uses for its logo. I want to cut some graphics for my YAK.
Thanks Again
Lee Mitchell
Old 06-08-2009, 12:13 PM
AFSalmon

ORIGINAL: CYCLONEMAN55

Mike Thanks for the help. I think I have got this thing figured out. Do you know what font OMP uses for its logo. I want to cut some graphics for my YAK.
Thanks Again
Lee Mitchell
Sure, OMP Font is "alexis italic".

Mike
Old 06-09-2009, 03:47 PM
CYCLONEMAN55

Got to maiden the Pro Yak with the Aviastar 46 up front. Got it trimmed out pretty quick and decided to add some throttle. Over half throttle I got lots of rudder flutter. The whole back of the plane would shake like crazy. Brought it down and checked everything out. All seemed OK. Flew again and had the same thing. We found the servo arm a little loose on the rudder. That helped a little. I am going to put a stiffer push rod on the rudder and I think that should help even more. Other than that it handled really good. The Aviastar 46 is more than enough power. I was running a 12.25x3.75 APC prop. My AUW is 4.5 lbs. I have my CG at 5.25 dry and it seemed just a tad bit nose heavy for me. I like a very neutral plane when rolled inverted. Looking forward to getting it dialed in. It appears it has promise to be a great 3D plane. I will post some pics when I get the graphics finished up. I have to take my plane apart to transport it. The double wing tubes are kind of a pain. Sure wish they would have put a tube in the wing for them to slide into. Other than that it is a great ARF. The finish quality was great.
Lee Mitchell
Old 06-10-2009, 07:42 AM
AFSalmon

Flutter is never a good thing and can cause extensive structural damage if not arrested quickly. Primary cause is loose linkages, bad servo gears, and/or servos too weak. If you had some severe flutter please check everything including your hinges very well prior to next flight. Good to hear the Avistar 46 is a good engine. I still like the plain ole 46 bb motors myself like the Thunder Tiger Pro .46 and GMS .47 motors. I've had 3 GMS .47 motors and each one was fantastic.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 AM
STANG KILLA SS
My Feedback: (1)

picture posted for cycloneman

Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 PM
STANG KILLA SS
My Feedback: (1)

more pics posted for cycloneman

ya cant have a yak without cowl vents!

wing bolt mod. may attempt a plastic version. MUCHeasier than the stock system.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:17 AM
AFSalmon

pics don't show up for me
Old 07-08-2009, 08:40 PM
edge540l

just picked this slab up from the local dealer along with the edge 540v3 and the razor yak,so i got all 3 he had in stock within a week or 2,on the pro yak i love the coloring,went together easy,i do not like the way the wings can flex up and down next to the fuse even with the wing bolt tight anyone else have this issue
Old 07-09-2009, 07:18 AM
AFSalmon

ORIGINAL: edge540l

just picked this slab up from the local dealer along with the edge 540v3 and the razor yak,so i got all 3 he had in stock within a week or 2,on the pro yak i love the coloring,went together easy,i do not like the way the wings can flex up and down next to the fuse even with the wing bolt tight anyone else have this issue
Sounds like you have a good fleet of slabs now Edge. You can always glue the wings on as an option. This is noted in the manual. The purpose of the two piece wings are obviously for transportability. Attaching thin profile wings to a very thin profile fuselage is certainly a structural challenge. Just put it together and fly it like you stole it.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:53 PM
jasburrito

Ya. Old thread.
I ordered 1 of the yellowish pro yaks. It came in the mail like in 2 days. Looks really sweet. Gonna pull my gear out of tore up chin and install. Os 55. Misc servos. Cheers
On sale with free ship deal.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 PM
jriley1974

HOw do you like the .55 on this plane? Saito 82 appropriate too?