Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Top Flite Taurus Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:24 PM
jjpetro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite Taurus Build

Ok FB, it's time to jump back in!! I've been on the Simla project for the past 15 months and it's about time for my own little break. BTW you mentioned the swept back wing Taurus earlier in the thread, my next project is the Orion, it's already about 70% done. After that Duane and I will start our third project together, the Taurus II (or swept back wing Taurus)!

Looking forward to the rest of your build. I can't believe how pristine the contents of your kit look to be. Hope you finish it before the "year of the Taurus" runs out!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok FB, it's time to jump back in!! I've been on the Simla project for the past 15 months and it's about time for my own little break. BTW you mentioned the swept back wing Taurus earlier in the thread, my next project is the Orion, it's already about 70% done. After that Duane and I will start our third project together, the Taurus II (or swept back wing Taurus)!

Looking forward to the rest of your build. I can't believe how pristine the contents of your kit look to be. Hope you finish it before the "year of the Taurus" runs out!
Hey Jeff! It's good to hear from you!

First, awesome job you and the guys did on the Simla. Can't wait for that one to be released! You're correct about the T2, it's on the list also. Would it be possible to mod one of your Primus kits with a few parts into a T2? Also very glad that you are continuing with Kaz's other designs! One suggestion for the Orion if possible, also offer it as a Tri-gear with strip ailerons as it was a variation of the Orion. Should be really easy to have the wing both ways. BTW - the Orion uses the same canopy as the Taurus.

Unfortunately the Taurus will not be finished this year. A lot of "life" got in the way of hobby time this year. I have worked on it some, the wing is almost completed, and the fuselage is framed up. But I still have a long way to go. The kit was in excellent shape and it's amazing that models were ever built from these kits. I'll post more pics when I kick the Taurus in high gear.

FB
Old 10-05-2010, 06:10 PM
jjpetro

FB,
Sorry to hear the Taurus will not be finished this year. But, as you imply, life happens.

No, you really can't use the '62 Taurus for the T2. Primarily because the T2 has a Bosch airfoil. That particular profile has much better penetration than the modified 2419. Also, the fuses are dimensionally different and the stab is much thicker. Maybe Duane has a side by side picture to show the difference.

Duane and I were allowed to have the '62 Taurus for a day before it was presented to the AMA museum last October. Duane had also brought the T2 and I brought a 70% built Primus. We both took pictures and I broke out my scales and calipers to come up with the dimensions of the planes. The differences between the two original planes were quite surprising and are what I mentioned above. Also, I verified that my Primus kit is dead on the original '62 Taurus except for one dimension. The front of the original '62 fuse (just in front of the wing) is about 1/8" to 3/16" taller than the Primus. I was quite concerned about this so I checked two different sets of TF plans. As it turns out, all plans correlated. Either Ed's draftsman or TF changed the front of the fuse a bit from the '62 original.

...Another interesting and unsolicited bit of useless information except for those of us who love the Taurus.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

Hey Jeff! It's good to hear from you!

You're correct about the T2, it's on the list also. Would it be possible to mod one of your Primus kits with a few parts into a T2?
FB
FB

The Taurus and Taurus-2 bear a family resemblance, but they are different in almost every way.

The T-2 tail moment is longer, the nose moment is shorter, it is narrower, the wing has the Bosch airfoil instead of semi-symmetical, the wing is almost a mid-wing, while the Taurus is a low wing. The T-2 generally has a more slender shape than Taurus...it is not as tall. Also the stab on T-2 is much larger and an inch thicker, and even the fin shape is a little different. Other than that they are the same.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15966.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1511869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95189.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1511870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43326.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1511871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45395.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1511872  
Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info guys! I knew there were differences, but I didn't think they so profound. Looks like the T2 is a different bird all together. Gonna have to wait for Jeff I guess!

FB
Old 10-06-2010, 12:51 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

He has already taken the "tons" of measurements needed, (just in case the model didn't survice).

I think the Taurus-2 will be relatively soon. Right now I'm happy NOT to be building.

I have a picture of both planes side by side...I'll post it later.

Duane
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM
4570jackjack
My Feedback: (74)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jackjack, I think that you wrote your msg in invisible ink