Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

ORIGINAL: warbird addict

I was always under the impression that TOYS were something you could give to a child so that he/ she could amuse themselves without much supervision or fear of them injuring themselves, (IE) no sharp edges , no small parts to be broken off and swallowed, no motorized moving parts to to fetch up and grind or pinch little fingers etc. etc.
to me the term TOY implies something that is used for amusement but has been deemed fairly if not completely harmless to the user, with that said I really don't believe that anyone here would hand one of their planes to their 5 YO grandkid and say here have at it, ANYTHING capable of causing severe injury and or death is anything BUT a TOY and should be respected as such.
However it all depends on the end users definition of toy in that am I able to make money with it or do I depend on it to make a living etc. etc.

Plaything for a child or infant. Toys survive from the remote past and from a great variety of cultures. They range from the simple to the complex, from a stick or piece of string that becomes a toy in a child's hands to complex mechanical and electronic devices. Perennial favorites include balls, jump ropes, dolls, drums, whistles, dice, jackstones, board games, marbles, play weapons, and costumes. In the modern era the toy industry has grown tremendously, especially with the advent of computer games.

It has already been pretty well established that adults have their own toys that would be too dangerous for little kids to play with.
It seems that the "scale only enthusiasts" have the most difficult time accepting this concept.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep I brisstle a bit when someone asks me if I am going to play with my toys.....I don't consider my airplanes as toys...although I guess they are....It comes down to how they're called toys and whom is doing the calling
Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 PM
quiltsfly

Blhollo2, I agree with you 100%, I say to my wife that I'am going to the garage to work on planes and she say, "play with you planes". I have put a stop to that, she is a quilter and I say to her are you going to play with your material and sewing machine, she got the point. I've been in the hobby for 20 years and have enjoyed every day if I fly or work on a plane.

Happy building with your HOBBY.
Quiltsfly
Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: quiltsfly

Blhollo2, I agree with you 100%, I say to my wife that I'am going to the garage to work on planes and she say, ''play with you planes''. I have put a stop to that, she is a quilter and I say to her are you going to play with your material and sewing machine, she got the point. I've been in the hobby for 20 years and have enjoyed every day if I fly or work on a plane.

Happy building with your HOBBY.
Quiltsfly
Also, I can imagine what a gun hobbiest might say when you ask if he was going to play with his toy guns!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:27 PM
combatpigg

If you can't accept the fact that your radio controlled model airplanes ARE toys...maybe it is time to take a BIG step back and try to examine what it is that you think you are doing with this stuff...?
Even guys like Somanzini and Tiano would most likely "man up" to confess that they have found a way to make a living at "playing with their toys".
Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

one more vote for, the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys
Old 11-19-2012, 03:30 PM
PHall

My planes are only toys and her grandmother's china is only plates and cups.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: PHall

My planes are only toys and her grandmother's china is only plates and cups.
HAAAA...I liked that one! That 5 grand diamond on her hand is just a toy ring too....yeah and all the work and buckos spent to buy was toy money! ROFL and just think of all those cowboys riding those toy horses and toy bulls around in the rodeos.

I like spending toy money for toy planes...kinda neat
Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

Yup, toys.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 PM
smithfj

After reading these posts, my head hurts!!!! Think I'll lay down for a while and then go play with my toys.
Frank
Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM
suddengustofgravity

Another vote here for toys....
Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 PM
R/C Lee

Last week my wife and I were sitting at dinner with another couple and the woman asked me about my "toy" airplanes. I started counting down from ten, then when I could speak I told her what goes into these "toys", how difficult they are to build and maintain, and how much skill it takes to fly them. She got a little huffy and then said she was very sorry and didn't mean to insult me. Maybe that's it - the people who think we play with toys don't really understand. It probably isn't an intentional insult for most of them. On the other hand, the sign on the door to my shop says "No Grownups Allowed". Now, back to my toys.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I vote toys too. Just because it might be a big toy or an expensive toy or a fast toy does't make it anything but a toy. However, if there is some creative aspect to the toy, like you built it yourself, then it might also be a hobby.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:24 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

i say to these type people.......i'll give you 100.00 if you can just start this toy up..........RON
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to Websters dictionary the word toy is " A trifle".  According to the same the word trifle is "Something of little value or importance".
Little value/ little importance, good luck selling that.
Time to get back to my toy's!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My 3 ex wives and current wife always call them my toys, strange girls...

Bob
Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

call them anything you like, when ever I am asked about this fine hobby I always mention how relaxing it is and maybe they should come to the feild and watch for a while.I agree with Grey Beard, a lot worse things could be done.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: acerc

According to Websters dictionary the word toy is '' A trifle''. According to the same the word trifle is ''Something of little value or importance''.
Little value/ little importance, good luck selling that.
Time to get back to my toy's!
For those who are new to using a dictionary, the multiple definitions that are given do not ALL have to be met. By the same token, if just ONE of the descriptions meets the definition of either your word or your term, then you have only satisified what ONE definition of what the word in question is.
As a child, my most important and highly valued "toys" were just a trifle or a pittance in most people's eyes....they were are hammer and a cross cut saw.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
rcguy56
My Feedback: (59)

I was asked one day Do you fly them little airplanes and held her hands about 16" apart. yes I counted to ten then said theses planes are not little. some range from small to as long as the little car you drive. yes they are big boy toys and not cheap. some people just have no idea in ther own little world.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:45 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

I often have people poke fun about "My Toys"-but the icing on the cake is when my 25 year old daughter comes into my hangar and points at the scale pilot for my 1/3rd cub and ask's
"So Dad are you now playing with dolls?"
Old 11-19-2012, 04:47 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

I often have people poke fun about ''My Toys''-but the icing on the cake is when my 25 year old daughter comes into my hangar and points at the scale pilot for my 1/3rd cub and ask's
''So Dad are you now playing with dolls?''
you have taken her out of your will right?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: rgm762

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

I often have people poke fun about ''My Toys''-but the icing on the cake is when my 25 year old daughter comes into my hangar and points at the scale pilot for my 1/3rd cub and ask's
''So Dad are you now playing with dolls?''
you have taken her out of your will right?

She will have a tough life [X(]
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

The wife collects Barbies so we have our fun being kids again with our "toys".  She gets on me a lot because she says she is at least smarter than me because she doesn't take her Barbies out in the field that throw them up in the air hoping they don't come down and crash. 
I think she makes a good point!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 PM
357ross

ORIGINAL: rcguy56

I was asked one day Do you fly them little airplanes and held her hands about 16'' apart. yes I counted to ten then said theses planes are not little. some range from small to as long as the little car you drive. yes they are big boy toys and not cheap. some people just have no idea in ther own little world.
I just smile and say Yes. When asked why, I just tell them 'because the F18 Hornets the Navy gave me just aren't a challange anymore, an I find r/c to more difficult than the real thing.' Try to do this with a straight face.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

The wife collects Barbies so we have our fun being kids again with our ''toys''. She gets on me a lot because she says she is at least smarter than me because she doesn't take her Barbies out in the field that throw them up in the air hoping they don't come down and crash.
I think she makes a good point!
If.... for whatever reason I had to give up flying my toys, I suppose collecting Barbies would be the next most thrilling sport..!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.