Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Metal Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Metal Tanks

Any British would be nice something we don't have already .

Jimmy
Old 11-14-2012, 01:23 PM
dlobmwm3
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Working with a guy to see if I can produce a metal lower hull for WSN\Trumpeter kits. Will let you guys know more.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM
TANKDUEL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since metal tanks are quite expensive, you would get a better idea how to proceed on on this from current metal tank owners, rather than from dreamers who live with their mommy, can't hold down a job, and can't afford one.

Good luck with your plans, it's always good to see new models introduced to the hobby!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Given that the Israelis modified their Centurians it would seem to me that an aftermarket potential exists before a 1/16 metal Centurian is even on sale.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 AM
pfsean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vv8ce-PdIk TIGER EARLY DESERT CAMO “all metal”
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: TANKDUEL

Since metal tanks are quite expensive, you would get a better idea how to proceed on on this from current metal tank owners, rather than from dreamers who live with their mommy, can't hold down a job, and can't afford one.
Seriously?! Most metal tanks are about tamiya money once electronics are factored in, a lot us own and can afford multiple tamiyas so where is this unemployed mommy dwelling dreams b$%$ox coming from? Please think before opening your mouth next time, ta...
Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 AM
tomhugill

ORIGINAL: dlobmwm3

Working with a guy to see if I can produce a metal lower hull for WSN\Trumpeter kits. Will let you guys know more.
If you could do a decent T-34 hull that would be amazing!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

That would be great. Would like to see something along the lines of the asiatam lower hill for the Panzer III, but for the T-34!!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 AM
godowar

YHR,

I can only speak to MYHUMBLEOPINION, and I am biased mind you as I was an Armor Crewman on M60A3's and M1A1's. Sooo ... Excuse my language, but there is already a METRIC TANK TON of WW II tanks in the market. I feel you would be hard pressed to break into the market with 1/16th Metal Tanks unless you offered something unique in the 1/16th field, or you were filling a hole in the market.

To that end I can only see a hole inmodern armor availability.

Currently the ONLY reason I believe that people are only batteling WW II era tanks, as that is what is most plentiful. But look how often the Leopard 2A6 shows up at battles. That means there is a desire to battle this modern tank (LEO 2A6), and the experience of pitting it against WW II armor is well. IMHO lacking.

Along with engineering the tanks, I would like to see a re-engineered battle system. Maybe based on lasers like the MILESsystem for the US Army.
Then depending on the lasers frequency it would represent the different gun sizes (105mm, 120mm, etc. etc.). Then instead of an APPLE persay to sense the hit, it would have small sensors on all 4 sides of the the hull and turret which were programmable for the hull thickness of the specific tank. BUTnow I am getting entirely too deep into the wish territory. And if wishes were horses ... I would have a damn ranch!

Furthermore I would most definately make the tanks Hybrid plastic and metal. That way I could have upgrade components to offer to my customers. Low / Med / High quality. So the poor married guy could buy an entry level, and slowly upgrade one of my products with components that would eventually make it top tier. Again the cost can't be phrohibitive, and you want the product to be achievable by the masses.

But If I had the money, resources, ingenuity. The list of products I would offer are:

US:
MAYBEaM48A3 (But not sure on this one)
M60A3
M1A1

Russia:
T72
T80 or T90

Germany:
Leopard 1
Leopard 2

England:
Challenger
Challenger 2

China:
Type 90-II
Type 99

Japan:
Type SU60
Type 96

Other notables I would condsider:
K2 Black Panther
AMX-56
Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle

War and Peace,
GoDOWaR
Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 AM
tomhugill

I think the post war tanks, centurion, m-47/48 would go well! The t-55 has been covered which
I'm very grateful for!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 AM
no12skyline

I was going to write a whole lot about production techniques and economies of scale, but never mind.

There's generally two types of metal RC tanks available right now - recasts(mainly) of existing plastic versions of tanks, and bespoke CNC machined tanks garnished with resin cast components.

You're not going to get anything unique or new with the former - that's just reverse-enginnering/casting Tamiya and Trumpeter and Bandai's work.

Its probably better to hope that the CNC brigade sees enough of a market to gear up to make some CNC tanks. Even though Chunwai makes a M1A1/2, it doesn't seem to sell well - there's probably one or two, in these forums, at the most? And its a US tank in an US-based forum... I could imagine it being the hero tank for us, but I guess the OIF experience dampened the hero status down a lot due to its not-stellar combat record with IEDs.

If even a combat-proven Abrams doesn't sell well, its kinda hard to peg what would be a surefire runaway hit. Though low-volume CNC don't have the same risks in overheads in molds as plastic injection molds do, programming up CNC plans take time. Us armor boys may say, T-34, Sherman, T-72, or whatever, but sometimes its just down to the look of the damn thing, and a Tiger just looks badass that anyone could look at it and say, yes, that's the epitome of a tank, and shell out some bucks for it.

And so prices of tanks need to come down to an accessible level, as it stands now, a decently performing tank costs too much for the average interested person to take that leap of faith, so sales volumes are low, and the economies of scales are simply not there. When I started out in RC, an entry level RC buggy setup cost $500. You could now get into that segment, RTR, for $200-ish. Its my hope that RC tanks would move towards that direction...perhaps a stateside manufacturer like Traxxas needs to get involved?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM
tomhugill

ORIGINAL: no12skyline

Its probably better to hope that the CNC brigade sees enough of a market to gear up to make some CNC tanks. Even though Chunwai makes a M1A1/2, it doesn't seem to sell well - there's probably one or two, in these forums, at the most? And its a US tank in an US-based forum... I could imagine it being the hero tank for us, but I guess the OIF experience dampened the hero status down a lot due to its not-stellar combat record with IEDs.

If even a combat-proven Abrams doesn't sell well, its kinda hard to peg what would be a surefire runaway hit. Though low-volume CNC don't have the same risks in overheads in molds as plastic injection molds do, programming up CNC plans take time. Us armor boys may say, T-34, Sherman, T-72, or whatever, but sometimes its just down to the look of the damn thing, and a Tiger just looks badass that anyone could look at it and say, yes, that's the epitome of a tank, and shell out some bucks for it.
The problem wih the Chunwai tanks is they are expensive, inacurate and require a decent ammount of work to get them upto standard. On the other hand aero-mate do a bespoke all metal tiger for 1500 euros but because tamiyas rendition is so nice Ive not seen many people buy it!

I think if some one did a decent abrams (all metal and well engineered ie like the aeromate or cheaper and of mixed construction (thinking tamiya quality here)) people would buy them. There is a good gap in the market here if filled it will sell!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly I think there is room for a metal T-34 ,a metal early M4 or a Cromwell.

Modern stuff, probably a Challenger. Abrams. and some Soviet Armor T80 , T90

IMO people are drawn to the WWII tank on tank experience, and that is why this segment sells well.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: godowar

YHR,

I can only speak to MY HUMBLE OPINION, and I am biased mind you as I was an Armor Crewman on M60A3's and M1A1's. Sooo ... Excuse my language, but there is already a METRIC TANK TON of WW II tanks in the market. I feel you would be hard pressed to break into the market with 1/16th Metal Tanks unless you offered something unique in the 1/16th field, or you were filling a hole in the market.

To that end I can only see a hole in modern armor availability.

Currently the ONLY reason I believe that people are only batteling WW II era tanks, as that is what is most plentiful. But look how often the Leopard 2A6 shows up at battles. That means there is a desire to battle this modern tank (LEO 2A6), and the experience of pitting it against WW II armor is well. IMHO lacking.

Along with engineering the tanks, I would like to see a re-engineered battle system. Maybe based on lasers like the MILES system for the US Army.
Then depending on the lasers frequency it would represent the different gun sizes (105mm, 120mm, etc. etc.). Then instead of an APPLE persay to sense the hit, it would have small sensors on all 4 sides of the the hull and turret which were programmable for the hull thickness of the specific tank. BUT now I am getting entirely too deep into the wish territory. And if wishes were horses ... I would have a damn ranch!

Furthermore I would most definately make the tanks Hybrid plastic and metal. That way I could have upgrade components to offer to my customers. Low / Med / High quality. So the poor married guy could buy an entry level, and slowly upgrade one of my products with components that would eventually make it top tier. Again the cost can't be phrohibitive, and you want the product to be achievable by the masses.

But If I had the money, resources, ingenuity. The list of products I would offer are:

US:
MAYBE a M48A3 (But not sure on this one)
M60A3
M1A1

Russia:
T72
T80 or T90

Germany:
Leopard 1
Leopard 2

England:
Challenger
Challenger 2

China:
Type 90-II
Type 99

Japan:
Type SU60
Type 96

Other notables I would condsider:
K2 Black Panther
AMX-56
Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle

War and Peace,
GoDOWaR
Interesting comments on the M.I.L.E.S system. Their current commercial system could be used in tanks. All someone would have to do is tailor it to RC tanks. A couple of issues need to be resolved, with the biggest one having Battle damage interface with the ESC. The M.I.L.E s system is a cost effective piece of hardware that deserves a look.