Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 AM
dooleyje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

yep comes as a set
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Got to give a Furion 600 a very limited test flight in the back yard of a friends house, pretty sweet machine! Great presence in the air, very nice tracking for a 600 and a pretty slick design. With any luck I'll get to put it through its paces at the field sometime without having to worry about dodging trees and houses and geese.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:32 PM
dooleyje

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE

Jim
Old 11-06-2012, 10:05 PM
dooleyje

Hello everyone, I am till here. I have the 250dfc set up and flown and just as I suspected the tail is a challenge to set correctly. The Beastx system helps with this. Cool little helicopter. I recently ordered a 450DFC and I will report back on it. I sold my trusty Trex600e in hopes so I am down to my great Vibe50 and My Scheadu as 50 size helicopter. Sean did you get the 130x scoped out? Skunk did you take a bite for the Furion?

Later,

Jim
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 AM
scasari

I haven't got it fixed yet. I've been very busy with school some haven't had time to go to the hobby shop. I can't wait to get it flying! Jim, do you know if there's any other batteries available for the 130 that suit it well? At the moment I only have one stock battery. I hope everyone's doing good and flying a lot! In Paris it's getting pretty cold so I don't think I will be walking to the park and whipping out the 130 any time soon )
-Sean

Ps. Norm, we're coming back to visit for Christmas! We're excited to see you guys!
Old 11-07-2012, 02:07 PM
TakeshiSkunk

I unfortunately haven't had a chance to fly since then I work into the evening and it's totally dark outside before I even get to leave. The few days I've had time to go out to the field I've been blocked by weather.

I'm definitely looking forward to putting that Furion through some proper maneuvers, but I doubt it'll be able to steer me away from my irrational obsession with Mikado
Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 PM
dooleyje

Sean the 130 has a bunch of upgrade and I have seen some different batteries out there. you just need to shop around. The guys here simply shop around. Our heli in the store still sports the OEM batteries and they seem to hold up very well. Larger MAH batteries add weight and personally I like it as light as possible hence I have 4-6 batteries for al my electric aircraft. I have been flying airplanes a lot and test flying new products.... Life is good for sure.

Mikado........? Now your talking,,, not everything is TREX. I got to fly a Gaui5x and I wished I had one, a beautiful 550 size hel. I have not flown the LoGOs yet.

Later

Jim
Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 PM
TakeshiSkunk

I look at Logos the way people look at Ferraris haha. I was really seriously considering going all in on a 600SX build this year but that's a lot of money vs my income and I'm looking into finally getting into motorsports like I've always wanted to. I have some real good leads on a 240SX locally.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM
matty_p80

Hey guys!

still kicking, trying to get some flying in, when i get the chance (not frequent enough at all!)

my new silly purchase is a Hubsan 4ch Westland Army Lynx semi-scale heli! it isn't anything special as far as control or responsiveness but they have done such a good job on the detail on the fuse, i just had to have one!

Skunk man! yeah the Logos are V.V.V. nice!!! a lot of the guys i knew in Germany flew them (unsurprisingly) but the drawback is the parts cost! you really don't want to be stoofing into the dirt on a regular basis with them!! saying that, from what i've seen of them, they fly so nicely they must inspire a lot of confidence!

am trying to see how i'm going to afford the compulsory course required to start my own aerial photography business! (please forgive me if i've told you all this before) obviously not taking a lunge and dropping current employment to take up the unknown but seriously considering going it alone and doing something for myself! as always, it's a matter of cost with the question of possible customer base!?! the practical training required is £1400 and the 2-3 day paperwork course in London is £700!!

tel A'viv!! maybe i'll win the lottery soon

hope everyone and their kin is in good health and hope all goes well with your re-elected president(!?)

l,p,c+mh

Matty
Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
matty_p80

Hi again guys!

well, would you believe it? i managed to get down to the local flying school/club and got my Robbe Schluter Moskito Basic in the air without any fuss at all!! even with the "dated" FM radio system (state of the art when purchased!! ) and, yes, even a mechanical Futaba gyro!i forgot to turn the gyro on (separate switch to the Rx power!) when i first took it onto the flight line and very quickly noticed my mistake it is totally original, including the wooden blades that you have to cover yourself and it flew excellently!

only snag was that this was the first time it had been sparked into life for well over 2 years and on the second flight it started sounding lacking in power, luckily i was close to the ground and put it down safely but the throttle wouldn't shut off and i had to stand there waiting for 3/4 full tank to run out as i couldn't get near it! everything was operating normally and i put it down to something keeping the throttle open (grit or crud?!?)! when it finally had stopped, we noticed there was a lot of seepage coming from the top of the cylinder so i'm going to have to pull it out of the heli to strip!!

good news is, i was searching e-bay for parts for it and a guy in Cornwall was selling not only a Moskito airframe with engine but the model up (the "Sport") with engine and servos and i managed to snag the two for £104 GBP!! niiice![8D]

still have my Apache in bits, which i definitely should spend time on as i have that gorgeous brand new 880kV motor for and need to see/hear her spooling up!!

i put the Logictech gyro and servo onto Budgie (the B400) and that is working beautifully! i must say though, i'm far more confident flying the bigger ones than Budgie! don't know what it is, maybe 'cos he was my first and am very conscious of damaging him, plus he's very quick - control wise!

as a silly thing i bought myself the Hubsan Lynx 4ch scale heli, mainly as they have got a lot of the detail spot on! doesn't fly very brilliantly but looks fantastic!!!

i hope everyone is doing grand and writing out your chrimbo wish lists

if it's not considered too early (probably is) a very Happy Thanksgiving and season's greetings to you all!

p,l,c+mh

Matty
Old 11-20-2012, 01:35 PM
matty_p80

sorry, just read my previous, previous post and am repeating myself

Matty
Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 PM
dooleyje

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I have finally completed my Trex450dfc Pro. This is a bit different than the original pro. The cyclic servo mounts allow you to pull the servos without removing the bearing blocks. It is also different gearing. I have not flown it yet but plan on trim flight tomorrow. I installed the Spec 7200bx on it. I will let you know how it goes. The little 250 DFC Pro is flying nice with the Beastx. I removed the 3gx to see if there was any difference. I like how both of them feel. It took a bit to tame the tail with the Beastx.

I purchased a Beastx clone and installed it in a Blade 300x airframe to test it. I will report on it after I fly it tomorrow. The clone beast is called a Bigalo. The programs are the same but in a different order a little. I guess they did that so it was not a Direct copy. It reminds me of the older Beastx 2.0. Unlike the current Beastx 3.0 you can not use Spectrum sat. receiver. At lest from what I saw on the programs. There possible will be software upgrade later. Hey if it works it will be worth the $90.

Later,
Jim
Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 AM
matty_p80

Jimbo

with these two new (old) Moskito's i have just got, they have mechanical mixing! if i were to put in a Spektrum Rx would i set the swash type up as "Single servo - 90deg." ??

my original Moskito is a FM non-computerised system!!

flew the 600N yesterday as i finish at 1100hrs on Friday when on an early shift week and as there was a calm between storms and the weather could not have been more perfect, i drove straight to the flying field! Peter, the heli instructor, had a student so it gave me a chance to catch up with his dad, who works there too building and mending the various flying objects of theirs and customer's!!

when i finally got the chance to get into the air (after waiting for the beaters from a pheasant shoot to get out of the way!!!) he flew lovely and as solid as usual! started getting more confident and was moving him about the sky a bit quicker, until at one point i realised i had lost orientation!! hovered and was trying to get him back when he drifted off to the right but i was still unclear as to the position of the tail, then the rotor disc dipped into the sun and i got some bearing back! it then started to dip and was descending when i realised what was happening and corrected it and somehow i manged to pull off my first stationary roll as luckily i was in idle-up 1 for the forward flight!! my heart was absolutely pounding in my chest and i had to force myself to concentrate on the heli rather than on whether my heart was going to burst!!!!! i recovered and landed safely, with a nice little auto hop just before the deck and turned to realise that the beaters were all behind the barrier watching the whole thing unfold!!![X(] so, to make it look like i had meant it all i took off again and used the tank up with some nice gentle circuits and an auto from a little higher up![8D]

very pleased and am not regretting purchasing a Nitro in this age of FBL Electrics (get ribbed on a constant basis for the "extra set of blades" on the rotor head!!). just have to get the Moskitos all up together and will have a veritable swarm going on!! hee hee hee!

i hope everyone had a very pleasant Thanksgiving and saw/spoke to all your loved ones

p,lc+mh

Matty
Old 11-25-2012, 06:18 AM
dooleyje

Matty yep 1 servo 90 degree. Folks simply do not know how well the older,,,,,,pre Trex heli flew. Just like my old Evo Scheadu. Of all my helis it is the one I would never sell.

I test flew my new Trex450 pro and it flew super and I am very pleased. The 300x with the clone Beastx type gyro flew nice. The programs are similar to The Beast but be careful. the programs are in a different order or different meaning. Do not use the beastX manual. The unit does not have many in depth adjustments and reminds me of the early 1.0 Beast. The unit also is very sensitive in the collective as though you had pitch boost turn on in the Beastx or 7200x. There was no adjustment so I had to settle the the collective in my radio. Great unit on a budget. A helicopter that is flying off the shelf is the Blade Nano. WOW super helicopter and a great in your living room 3D helicopter. I had to have one for myself.

Jim
Old 11-25-2012, 02:11 PM
scasari

Glad to hear the 450 flee great! I think I'm going to snatch up a nano when I visit the states for Christmas! They charge €150 here, so it's a lot more expensive! Would you recommend trusting the clone beast x with ssomething like a 500 size? Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving(:
-Sean
Old 11-25-2012, 08:34 PM
dooleyje

Sean I would think the clone would be fine. The down side is that you will need a separate receiver. and there is no way to upgrade it. If I spend the money for a 500 I think I would prefer A 7200BX, 3gx, Ikon, 540 with better software and neater installation.

Jim
Old 11-27-2012, 04:22 PM
jose0246

hey guys.im a semi newbie,i have a coaxial heli.its a450 volocity,nothing major.but now i jumped into a 6ch 3d 450e-razor.this thing is great.tons of videos on y tube.my thing is i got it today and i smashed the feathershaft and broke a main blade.now when it went up,it would drift side ways.not the tail.the whole thing would fly side ways.i have a 2.4ghz radio.its all dynam.6ch.can anyone familiar with the settings on this system give me some pointers into trimming this thing.thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Is it drifting slightly to the left? If so that's something all helicopters do, they have to hover leaning to the right a bit to counteract the thrust from the tail rotor.

If it's a severe sideways movement then it's probably something to do with your mechanical setup.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 PM
jose0246

yeah ,hey thanks man.its not driftting to the left hardcore or anything.so shouldnt my trim settings all be in the middle?and if i do trim it a little woulnt that cause strain to the mini servo causeing it to burn out?or is it safe to trim my copter with out hurting the servo?let me know bud.thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 03:22 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Well it depends on whether you actually have some sort of control induced drift. If you can tip it a bit to the right and hover then it's all good, as the drift is caused purely by the physics of the machine. It's hard to know what feels right and what doesn't when you're just starting out with a CP though...if you have anyone near you that flies they should be able to tell you pretty quickly.

My general rule of thumb is to try and overcome as much as possible without making trim or mechanical changes, adapt to the machine before you adapt it to you. Past a point you can tell if you're working harder than necessary...if that makes sense.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:09 PM
dooleyje

Hey everyone I have been busy at the store but I wanted to take the time to wish everyone a great holiday season and I hope Santa will be good to you.

I know I have been promising to review the new Pro450 but I have not had the time to fly it. After the holiday and good weather I will let you know how it flys.

Jim
Old 12-25-2012, 05:47 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:45 AM
twoslick2

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 AM
matty_p80

Merry Chrimbo!

hope everyone has had a wonderful and peaceful season!

p,l,c+mh

Matty
Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM
dooleyje

Well another season and another year. I hope everyone got some new toys. I have been busy at the store fixing Christmas helicopters most were minor how toos instead of damage. Helicopters were very popular as they were last year. I still have not had a chance to do much flying and trying my new DFC450 and DFC250 other than a quick run around the yard at home to see if they will actually fly. I can tell you that the 250 DFC tail is a lot easier to tame than the original offering.

Well that's all for now.

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.