Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Why do you build and or scratch build?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Why do you build and or scratch build?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 03:18 AM
guamflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why do you build and or scratch build?

some of the small stuff..currently flyin the E3, pulled motor on stinson and lost the red RF5 sperber in the sea. workin on a bird of time kit that;ll be converted to electric. scratchin a 50'Bucker 180 student and 44' bg gypsy 135 sailplane with small electric motor

SLOPE FAST - SOAR DEEP

guamflyer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12532.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	1822248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85092.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1822249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85888.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	1822250  
Old 11-21-2012, 04:10 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh yes, keep the pictures coming of your creations, this is the right stuff that inspires others.

Bob
Old 11-21-2012, 04:25 AM
GSAV8R
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because I can. Most can't
Old 11-21-2012, 05:37 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: sensei

I enjoy designing and scratch building as well, I think most folks that spend their time in this forum do. What I don't understand is the need to bash other parts of this great hobby, I have spent years of my time posting build threads in an effort to motivate others to build, however I never needed to bash another part of this hobby to get my point across.

Bob

Exactly what I thought. No need to do stu>>pid comment about an aspect of the hobby you do not care about. Makes you come trough like a jack. And it is a shame, as I also build... Yes, the OP has issues:-)

Gerry
Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

NoOneFlysAtMyClub,
Those pic's are great!! Love that 6 eng thing. What did that start out as? And what are the other two? Kits or scrath built?. I love to build but just don't have the time I need to get anyone thing done.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Six engines! That must be fun getting them all tuned together!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:34 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: NoOneFlysAtMyClub

Because...............

Very nice, and they all look fast just sitting there:-)

Gerry
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Flyer for 10 or so years, am new to building, I have a trash can full of botched kits, one completed bird and one on the bench. Why bother? Several reasons, no particular order, most having already been mentioned. One, its therapy, a way to unwind and relax. I really don't like sanding, but there's something zen about smoothing a curve or forming a piece just right. Two, learn some new modeling skills. How to make a hatch or access panel, cut wood properly, scratchbuilding a widget to go here or a detail there. Learning to use new tools. Three, gain understanding in how these planes are built and held together. Why did they do this like this or that like that? Four, the possibility of having something different from rest of planes at the field, and finally, the satisfaction that comes with having built something with your own two hands and watching it perform, and unlike a dog house or a land vehicle, it moves in 3 dimensions no less!

Building just seemed like the next logical step for me in the hobby. Crappy weather and such past couple years has knocked a big dent in my flying time, so building keeps me involved. Truth be told, I'm not near as thrilled as I used to be about flying, I too find myself generally BS'ing at the field, then rushing home to the bench.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm near 70 years old, so I grew up building what I wanted to fly. Now I build because I can, and because I don't want a cookie cutter airplane. I enjoy the shop time and using all my equipment to cut the parts that I draw and fit to the plans that I drew as well. I build models that you can't normally get any other way. I'm in the middle of a set of wings for a quarter scale Ryan ST-A that originally was a Byron kit. I hate foam wings, hence the scratch built wings.

I am a competition scale builder and flyer. We have to sign a Builder of the Model form. That pretty much does away with using an ARF or a model that someone else built. We resurrected an old kit that had been lost to the ages, and now everyone can build it again as well.

It is an enjoyable lifelong hobby that would be watered down if I did ARF planes.

I fly well too. Don't buy into the argument that builders can't fly. We can.

Give building a try, you just might learn to love it.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I'm near 70 years old, so I grew up building what I wanted to fly. Now I build because I can, and because I don't want a cookie cutter airplane. I enjoy the shop time and using all my equipment to cut the parts that I draw and fit to the plans that I drew as well. I build models that you can't normally get any other way. I'm in the middle of a set of wings for a quarter scale Ryan ST-A that originally was a Byron kit. I hate foam wings, hence the scratch built wings.

I am a competition scale builder and flyer. We have to sign a Builder of the Model form. That pretty much does away with using an ARF or a model that someone else built. We resurrected an old kit that had been lost to the ages, and now everyone can build it again as well.

It is an enjoyable lifelong hobby that would be watered down if I did ARF planes.

I fly well too. Don't buy into the argument that builders can't fly. We can.

Give building a try, you just might learn to love it.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
I am nearly 60 years old and we had to build what we flew too, I don't think anyone stated that builder's can't fly well in this thread, It is of popular opinion that builders spend more time building than flying. ARF guys spend all there time flying airplanes they have little to no attachment too while pushing the envelope more and more because a new airplane is only a pull of the wallet away. Pretty simple who will wind up be the hot shot pilots don't you think. Anyway, I don't think this is another ARF flyers versus scratch builder thread.

Bob
Old 11-21-2012, 12:48 PM
exocet-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

When I took my scratch built Pageboy to a club meeting with its cute little Cox TD.010 and got looks of admiration from the old timers and looks of utter amazement from the other 'younguns' like me, it gave me great satisfaction. I know when I go to the field, not only does no one have one of these, no one has ever SEEN one fly and most have never heard the mosquito like scream of the TD .010.

I also like the challenge of building but I really like being different.

Tim
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: exocet-RCU

When I took my scratch built Pageboy to a club meeting with its cute little Cox TD.010 and got looks of admiration from the old timers and looks of utter amazement from the other 'younguns' like me, it gave me great satisfaction. I know when I go to the field, not only does no one have one of these, no one has ever SEEN one fly and most have never heard the mosquito like scream of the TD .010.

I also like the challenge of building but I really like being different.

Tim
Tim, you obviously place a higher value on your sense of accomplishment than the typical ARFboy does. Living life is NOT just about how much of this and that we were able to do, but HOW we were able to get it done.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:18 PM
hairy46

I would not trade one minut of my building time for a arf. Building is a big part of my rc hobby.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 PM
airboss45

well! i would like to say thank you to 142088 for starting this thread. it sure gives many of us the chance to answer "why" we do what we do in this building end of the airplane hobby. my start came from the joy of building Ringmasters on c/line [1962]. i was hooked then and now. i am far from the best builder. but i sure try to learn more daily from the master builders who are still at it! sadly they are passing away much to often these days. i went for years afraid of starting in scratch/building. but after building a few Ziroli warbird planes from his plans, i am still enjoying a good build. 142088 [which you would share your name with us] you ask WHY? cause for me the other side of my story is this past year was an acute attack of PTSD with more health issues . yes i am VET, but i have a life, so i pulled myself up by my boothstraps and surely only with the help of prayer and GOD i feel great these days. i now am actively scratch building again daily. so when i can figure out how to work my computer, i will post some downsized pictures of my scratch anvy float plane. a OS2U KINGFISHER with 67" wing. and after 50years my very first "E-powered" scratch "SAMSOM" float plane with 57" wing and twin powered. i never post mail like this [normally i let my bandsaw and pictures] do the talking. lol so thank you to all who post here with there great projects of JOY. and yes please keep the pic's coming. don aka airboss
Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 PM
guyl

The only reason I buy an ARF is to have something to fly while I build my scratch built model.
In that manner I spend more hours on my scratch built model which I will fly later and
maybe the only one of the kind flying. ARFs fyers are the new generation flyers in the RC hobby.
Great flyers but dont have a clue on how to set up/balance/trim a model for the most of them.
They think we oldies are weird. Unfortunately this may kill the hobby as we once have known it and
in the future we are really going to be weird when you go to the hobby shop to ask to buy a sheet of balsa
wood.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 PM
hairy46

Yes pictures are great. Thanks for your service to the country and glad you can build! Sure makes for some great times!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:48 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Got any video of that thing with 6 engines? Looks like a Dualist. Really sweet. The ability to have original models that blow the rest away at the field with at least a covering material other than monokote. That is why I build. I enjoy building more than flying as well.

Name:	Vt58449.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	1822424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10065.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1822425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67330.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1822426  
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 PM
socshooter
My Feedback: (45)

Because there's nothing better than to design and build your own model. The joy of watching your own scratch built model fly is undescribable.

my build
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10367121

Cheers,
Joe
Old 11-21-2012, 05:44 PM
guamflyer

I don'i think this is an ARF verses SCRATCH or Kit build thing...what I read is a bunch of guys /gals like meself that TRUELY loves building and like meself all the things related to building/flying  " our " own stuff...I personnally won't disregard anything newy/arfy or foamy , i  probally/most likely won't fly/buy it but look at it as something interesting..
Theres alot of stuff I've seen in all aspects that I have incorporated into my own builds..  I prefer wood airplanes for ease of repair.. I cut my own cores so that on any whim or airplane found , I can quickly start building..I think folks like US don't really want to wait but can instead make it ourselves.. For whatever reason we do it.., We're that special group that must share/show because the origins of this awesome hobby is still very much alive and thriving.

SLOPE FAST  -  SOAR DEEP

[email protected]
Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 PM
ARillos

I build for food! For me it is a therapy which keeps me alive. I am not against those who likes ARFs, it is just a preference.
Hey Frank, your avatar picture is a Hooker, isn't? I have one (electric). Alex.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Radical Departure

. . .I really don't like sanding, but there's something zen about smoothing a curve or forming a piece just right. . . .
Like I mentioned before, my dad was not a modeler, but was a craftsman. I remember my first balsa model was a Guillows Piper Cub when I was about eleven. I had glued it together pretty well, then covered it with tissue. I had only made a token stab at rounding the wing leading edge, and my dad took one look at it and saw the tissue pulling away from the ribs to meet the mostly square leading edge. He handed me a razor blade and told me to strip the tissue off and sand the leading edge round. I was pi$$ed, but after I was done, was really pleased at how much more like an airplane it looked. I have been a big fan of the Zen of Sanding ever since.

Name:	Yw67128.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1822473  
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I"m with Tim, I like having a plane that looks different than everyone else. Here is a question for all my fellow builders out there, how many times do you build the airplane in your head before you ever start gluing it together? I know I go thru every step multiple times gauging the merit of modifications before I ever sit down at the bench.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

OT

I have posted twice on this thread and mentioned my dad, who passed away three years ago this month. This is him only about three months before he died. It should give a good idea of how I became a builder.

Name:	Ec88950.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1822474   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44820.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1822475  
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

I sit down with a Engine and an idea before I Scratch build my "LAR" (Looks About Right) I build because I ENJOY the Hobby and I Have enjoyed this wonderful hobby for close to 80 years.

If any of you have been outside of USA, you will find much higher prices on everything and anything related to a "Hobby". A "HOBBY" is a LUXURY. In USA we just take it for Granted.

It doesn't matter if you build from scratch, from Plans, from kits. or an ARF. Take your time and Enjoy this wonderful, Luxurious, Hobby and the many Modelers/Fliers that talk that same Model Airplane Language that brings us all together.

Have a Wonderful THANKSGIVING and Thank a Soldier for keeping our country Safe and Free.

Name:	Tr50291.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1822479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61456.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1822480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20176.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1822481  
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,

The six engine plane was built from plans for a twin called The Big Apple, by Dick Sarpolus. Early 80's I think.
I changed the fin, elevators, ailerons and wing tips. Nacelles get shorter as the wing thins. Wing is fully sheeted. Covering is Ultacote.
Engines are MDS 18's. People trash MDS engines, but these are the easiest to adjust and dead reliable. Gear is fixed
as the wing is not thick enough for my dual wheel set up.

The twin is also from plans by Dick Sarpolus, The Magnum 80. Designed as a fixed tricycle gear. Made mine a tail drag.
Power is a pair of Super Tigre .45's with Jett tuned mufflers. Vess props. My Magnum 90.

Jet is a AK Models SU 27 Flanker propjet. I added canards (fixed) to create a SU 33. Glassed, primed and ready for paint.
Power is a Super Tigre .90, plug in wings, Spring Air Retracts, some scale details here and there.

I enjoy building more than flying. Find it very relaxing.

I have more planes, 16 in all,(so far). I will post more pictures soon.

Thanks, Tony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.