Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Waltersons Gear/Tank Supplier

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Waltersons Gear/Tank Supplier

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Waltersons Gear/Tank Supplier

I know what you mean, I have three daughters as well!

Well, maybe a new owner can send me their tooth counts and I can get it all plugged in for everyone.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 PM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not saying I won't just saying that it will take me some time.
ORIGINAL: swathdiver

I know what you mean, I have three daughters as well!

Well, maybe a new owner can send me their tooth counts and I can get it all plugged in for everyone.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:24 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Pinion tooth count:
20 teeth
24 teeth
28 teeth *

(* factory default installed)

Here is a color chart of the tooth count I made for the running gears:

This is about all I can offer for on the specs of the 5-poll 380 motors Waltersons offers with the kit, provided from their own site.

Hope this helps.

~ Craig ~

Old 11-21-2012, 04:26 PM
FreakyDude

NEW TEST FIT NOTICE
As of right now I am stopping the sale for these gear boxes for all Panzer IV models. 
It seems that the drive gear at the bottom end is too wide for the Panzer IV.  A customer has informed me that his gear set does not fit and from the pictures he sent ( I will post them when I have his permission ) it would require the removal of the two posts at the front of the tank. Now these posts are the screw posts for the upper hull so that really puts a major league mod into your tank to use these boxes.

I will be in touch with Waltersons regarding the situation and will advise when we have either a redesign of the boxes or a solution to the problem.
Unfortunately I do not have a Panzer IV or I would have test fit them.
Panther G
King Tiger and Tiger are all great as I drop fit the Waltersons in those tanks with NO issues.
I am testing the PZIII later tonight and will forward info about the KV-1 shortly.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 PM
EOT

Freakydude,

The asiatam low profile gearboxes are the same way on the Panzer IV, just for reference. I cut the posts off and used magnets to hold the front. They fit fine in the Panzer III as it has a centered post in the front.

Could you tell me what size is the gear shaft on the motors? And if it is 2.3 mm can the gears be bought seperatealy?

Mike EOT
Old 11-21-2012, 05:21 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude
I am testing the PZIII later tonight and will forward info about the KV-1 shortly.
I can already atest that the KV-1 Waltersons plate & gearbox just dropped right in for me with no issue.

~ Craig ~

Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM
swathdiver

Thanks! Got the motor specs earlier, those 5-pole motors look like the 385s I used to use. Will work to add these to the calculator during the holiday weekend.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:03 PM
FreakyDude

I will have some spare gears available shortly and yes the hole is 2.3 mm on the pinion as I have replaced several gear sets for 400 and 480 motors already. Both the 400 and 480 are 2.3mm.
just an fyi the 480's make these gears not only look sweet but the performance jumps by a huge margin.

BADASS also tells me there is no issue with the KV-1 as they are drop in and he had no issues getting his mounted.

ORIGINAL: EOT

Freakydude,

The asiatam low profile gearboxes are the same way on the Panzer IV, just for reference. I cut the posts off and used magnets to hold the front. They fit fine in the Panzer III as it has a centered post in the front.

Could you tell me what size is the gear shaft on the motors? And if it is 2.3 mm can the gears be bought seperatealy?

Mike EOT
Old 11-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Glen B

Here are some pictures of the PZ IV
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48928.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1822436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11761.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1822437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57809.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1822438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57619.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1822439  
Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 PM
swathdiver

Has anyone put a tach light on the pinion shaft of these motors while hooked up to a TK-RX18 to see what kind of RPMs these motors turn? Judging by the specs, these seem comparable to the old Black Capped Suntechs and the Graupner Speed 400s which turned 16200 and 18500 rpms respectively. I suspect these will turn about 17000 but would like to make sure.

Final Drive is 69.429:1 for the 28 tooth pinion, 81:1 for the 24 and 97.2:1 for the 20T pinion.

If anyone would like an updated calculator, send me a PM with your e-mail address or better yet, e-mail me directly, my address is [email protected].

This calculator improves with your input. If you see something inaccurate or missing, please contribute!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 PM
FreakyDude

I'll tach them out for you, possibly with 480 and 400 motors. will mail you next week.
ORIGINAL: swathdiver

Has anyone put a tach light on the pinion shaft of these motors while hooked up to a TK-RX18 to see what kind of RPMs these motors turn? Judging by the specs, these seem comparable to the old Black Capped Suntechs and the Graupner Speed 400s which turned 16200 and 18500 rpms respectively. I suspect these will turn about 17000 but would like to make sure.

Final Drive is 69.429:1 for the 28 tooth pinion, 81:1 for the 24 and 97.2:1 for the 20T pinion.

If anyone would like an updated calculator, send me a PM with your e-mail address or better yet, e-mail me directly, my address is [email protected].

This calculator improves with your input. If you see something inaccurate or missing, please contribute!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

So are these photos based on the HL PZ IV?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Glen B

ORIGINAL: MAUS45

So are these photos based on the HL PZ IV?
Yes, they are.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 PM
FreakyDude

fyi I already recieved a response from Waltersons. They were working on a new box for the Stug and will share the platform with the Pz IV now as well. The stug gears will be low profile but the Pz IV will have stug gears with their own plate and shafts.
End of January for the release is the target
Old 11-22-2012, 04:59 AM
Patski

Since you are in touch with waltersons....you have any idea when that Heng Long premium Sherman will come out?  they seems to be working together on this one?

Old 11-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: Patski

Since you are in touch with waltersons....you have any idea when that Heng Long premium Sherman will come out? they seems to be working together on this one?

YEAH!!!!

Good question!

~ Jeff
Old 11-22-2012, 08:52 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: Patski

Since you are in touch with waltersons....you have any idea when that Heng Long premium Sherman will come out? they seems to be working together on this one?

I've been wanting that tank ever since I saw it being shown on the Heng Long Premium website slide show. I've got a Clark TK20E-US board & no US tank, so I had also been wondering when that 105mm Howitzer Sherman is actually going to be released too.

I've inquired a few times, but HL Premium or Waltersons never seem to give me any details on the Sherman ... & I though have no way of knowing how accurate or inaccurate the information that I did receive is, I'll share what I was told as an intended release schedule of some new tanks, more or less supposed to be in this order:

1). Henschel King Tiger
2). Leopard II A6
3). British Challenger II
4). Soviet T34/85
5). US M1A2 Abrams

The Henschel King Tiger is now available ... Leopard II A6 soon to follow. The Challenger II is targeted to be released in the first quarter of next year, T34 & M1A2 to follow some time afterwards.

No mention of the Sherman in the list, so I was slightly confused, especially given the fact that they show it on their website in the slide show already, that is, until today. Today I was informed the Sherman is coming soon as well. No dates, so I have no idea what soon may be, but it should coincide with their announcement of a new US distributor they have lined up to sell their products in NA.

~ Craig ~
Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Patski

nice! thanks for the infos!  nice to finally see a Brit tank and a T-34!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If this all pans out to be accurate info, then that is good news. Is this reply from Waltersons or Heng Long?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:07 PM
FreakyDude

I sent a mail off to see if i could get a better picture but Badass is correct on the tanks and the order in which they want to release them. As we have seen though release dates are hopeful projections of "should happen" times.
I personally am itching for the Leapord 2A6 as everytime I go to CFB Borden I am building a reference pic file. Hopefully i get an answer tonight but I think it is already Saturday there.
ORIGINAL: YHR

If this all pans out to be accurate info, then that is good news. Is this reply from Waltersons or Heng Long?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:37 PM
modelbob71

After reading about the mess with the Pz IV and you and the Watersons figure things out, I for one will be going back to the Mato
3/1 boxes for my KV1.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: modelbob71

After reading about the mess with the Pz IV and you and the Watersons figure things out, I for one will be going back to the Mato
3/1 boxes for my KV1.
Well, that's your choice, even if I wouldn't agree with it. The issue is with the fitting of one set of the gearboxes with regards to the Panzer IV, not having anything to do with the gearboxes intended to fit in the KV-1.

I own a Heng Long KV-1, & I own both the MATO 2.0 3:1 gearbox set along with the Waltersons 3-Speed gearbox set. Owning both sets now I would not voluntarily choose the current MATO 2.0 sets over the current Waltersons 3-Speed at this time.

The Waltersons KV-1 gearbox set dropped right into my Heng Long KV-1 without any issues at all! You must have the 32mm shafts for them to work.

If anyone already owns the MATO 2.0 gearbox, & isn't having an issue with them, I wouldn't push them to go out & replace them with a new set of Waltersons. When the MATO 2.0 gearboxes work, they are pretty good gearboxes. But if I was considering purchasing a new gearbox for any other reason for a KV-1, other than not being able to get the Waltersons, I don't see a good reason to choose to go back to the MATO 2.0 3:1 as a set of replacement gearboxes with slower, less powerful motors, no extra pinion gears, & no gear/pinion puller tool set, for more money or about the same as the Waltersons gearbox set will cost.

~ Craig ~
Old 11-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Glen B

I am the customer that discovered the fit issue with the Panzer IV and here are my comments.

The error was Walterson's, their information indicated it would fit.

The vendor did not have a Pz IV to compare the fit to.

As soon as I reported the fit problem with the Pz IV, the vendor immediately put out notification that he would no longer sell them for the Pz IV.

The vendor is replacing the one set of gearboxes intended for the Pz IV with a set for the Panther/Jagdpanther, which I can also use.. The vendor has been very good in communicating with me and answering my many questions.

I have another set of Waltersons Tiger I gearboxes sitting here for one of my next projects. I have five tanks with Mato 3:1's in them and I like them, however, the new Waltersons gears are more "cleanly" cut, in test running them out of the tank, they are quieter; they also spin quite freely in either direction prior to break in, not all of my Mato's did that. I had one Mato with a terribly missaligned output shaft, which they replaced, but they have their difficulties too, which they made right, for me.

I was dissappointed when I received the gearbox initially, however;

I have bought a lot of hobby/leisure activity stuf over the past 40 years, some of it quite expensive.

I don't care who the company or supplier is, from time to time, they ALL have issues; it would be nice if that was not true, but it is.

The importance to me is how the supplier or manufacturer deals with the problems that arise.

My experience has been that Immortal Hobbies has been extremely helpful with this experience, and I believe quite concerned with taking the best course of action possible to help me out.

IMHO we have a new supplier on the scene that is interested in good customer service.

I look forward to installing the one set in a new Tiger I and getting the replacement set for the JP and installing that.

I understand a new unit is in preparation for the Pz IV, when that comes out, I will likely put one in the Pz IV.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Glen B

UPDATE

I will be receiving replacement gearboxes next week that will fit my Jagdpanther (another project I have planned), these are to replace the Tiger set I cannot use in the Pz IV.

The vendor has been very pleasant and accomdating to deal with. There is a real desire there to take care of the customer, something I appreciate.

I will most certainly be placing further orders with Immortal Hobbies as the need arrises, this includes the new gearboxes for the Pz IV, when they do become available.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 PM
wsn123

I Have question about those gearboxes.

1. Are they so smooth and noisy as for example metal Mato 5:1 gearboxes? or not?
Im looking for strong, silent , smooth and made from good material gearboxes for KV-1, Tiger I, Panther HL tanks.

2. Are the distances for mounting screws in those gearboxes the same as in HL gearboxes?

3. Are the any stronger motors available on the market that can directly replace motors in original HL Geraboxes (KV-1, Tiger, Panther)

P.S
I was dissapointed with Mato 5:1 in my KV-1

are they any suppliers of Waltersons gearboxes in Europe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.