Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

HOW TO GET PEOPLE INTO COMBAT?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

HOW TO GET PEOPLE INTO COMBAT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: HOW TO GET PEOPLE INTO COMBAT?

I've been to the field once so far this year. I'll need to get out there soon and test my planes for SPADfest 2011 in Slater, MO. I am trying to get my new USS done. Fuse is almost done but I have nothing done on the wing I was hoping for this weekend. Grand-daughters 2nd birthday was today so that ate the whole weekend. Just getting cleaned up from it now and it's bath time.

Mostly though I've spent since the first of the year looking for houses for my daughter then spent the last two getting one lined up only to have it fall through in the last week of a 45 day process. Worse part is, we have to start ALL over again. This was coming home from work, looking up houses, driving by them, putting them on a list then spending one day a weekend looking at them all and the next day babysitting. So I had no time what so ever. Since that was going to be the place they were going to live they let their apartment go, so with no house, they staying here. It's COZY!!!!

We'll have to get out some. How'd the year go.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:49 PM
planewrecker
My Feedback: (147)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's difficult to maintain interest in combat and get enough guys to show up at the same time to fly a few rounds. When 5 or 6 do show up for combat we have a great time and fly several rounds. pilots and spectators both enjoy the action. It's about the only thing our "club" does as a group.
Getting new flyers is critical to keeping combat alive. It helps when new guys see a couple of rounds of combat, and get interested.
I'll let them fly my spare, and after their first round they're usually hooked.
I agree that some of the guys flying circles with their pretty planes are horrified at the thought of possibly damaging a $30 spad in combat. you'll never get them to try although they are usually the same guys going home on a regular basis with busted up pretty planes. It's a shame because they could really use something like combat to improve their flying skills!
Most flyers with a little competitive spirit will give it a try if there is a plane available to use risk free. It takes a little effort on your part, but goes a long ways toward keeping combat alive.
I like to tell the guys who refuse to even try combat that RC flying is like sex: It's alot more fun and interesting when you do it with someone besides yourself!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:35 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I didn't even know combat was a real thing intill yesterday when I happen to see this thread.

I went to your www.spadtothebone.com yesterday, and I have convenced 3 of my buddys to give this a shot.

I know I have asked them about something like this before and they all would not want to distroy there babys, but I never thought of putting a streamer on the back and trying to cut it off for a score.

As I know nothing of this, what othere ways do you guys score?

One of mybuddy, he dose not build much, but told me He would give me a .40 size motor to build his and my bird.

But It would be areally bighelp if some one could post a product code/part number or where they get there plastic bodys/wings.

Thanks guys

Old 07-07-2011, 07:53 AM
mikes68charger

Also I should ask, before the guys get up set at our feild. Wich is a big AMA Feild, are there any issues with AMAand flying combat?

I don't want to here a bunch of guys telling me I will make our flying site lose its Credentals, or something like that.

Thanks Mike
Old 07-07-2011, 09:10 AM
blindfaithnogod

check out these sites:
www.rccombat.com
http://modelaircraft.org/events/compreg.aspx
http://teamseaholm.com/

our club has combat every other tuesday night. the AMA has rules that cover safety. check those out.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 AM
mikes68charger

IS there a company that sells cheap kits?

That way I have all I need to get started, and if any damage, I will just have to trace and recut a new wing out of poster board?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM
blindfaithnogod

http://www.airscharnell.com/team_scharnell_avenger.htm
http://www.treneffrc.com/
http://www.combatplanesrc.com/
http://www.bluenotecreations.com/tomahawk.shtml

here's a couple. you should really think hard about starting with the SSC class.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Though not competitive on the national scene, IF you're just playing with your club members build some HOR's and limit yourselfs to la 15's. If you want to bump it up in power get the Magnum 15 XLS's. With the LA it is slow survivable combat by design. There is no unlimited furball combat that generates plane eliminating midairs, it's a case of pursuit combat where you analyze your competitors moves and try to guess where they will be so you can fly right behind them THEN you try to stay in their wake to get their streamer till they manage to slip away. Because of the low speed, energy of the plane/engine combo when midairs do happen you generally won't have to replace anything save a rubberband and maybe a prop. Of course after saying that my next midair with one will probably be engine to engine and will continue through to shell the receiver. You CAN lose everything in SSC but it's more rare then in Open B.

HOR's are on the spadtothebone site. You fold the wing out of 2 mil with 4 mil ailerons and tail surfaces. You can get the 4 mil stock from any sign that has 2 foot sides in the flute direction. The 2 mil you'll have to procure some where. Fuse is made from Aluminum L channel from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc and engine mounts are from poly cutting board, WALMART.

The above listed kits are good and competitive on a national scene. They will cost you a bit more and take a bit more building and will take one heckuva pounding before they are destroyed, I don't want to scare you away from them. But if you're just going to stay local there's no need to put a big chunk of money into several models the will in-evitably cause someone to say 'my precious combat plane' and stop playing. Hors, you loose the whole plane you've lost 5-6 bucks.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 PM
rcrunnerdawn

Ahh I remember when I was younger, I used to go to combat all the time. does anyone know any clubs that do it in southern California
Old 08-25-2011, 11:50 AM
draftman1

ORIGINAL: rcrunnerdawn

Ahh I remember when I was younger, I used to go to combat all the time. does anyone know any clubs that do it in southern California

yes, there is alot of sanctioned combat in southern killafornia. we just had an event at Palomar this last weekend. there was an event in Hisperia back in july. ask for Terry Yates, the spad, combat guy at the hisperia club, he will get you going. he is "stillforgiven" on this site
Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Don B.H.

If we build them, COMBAT will come.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78137.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	1658920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37998.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1658921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59502.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1658922  
Old 02-06-2012, 08:31 PM
skullman

Hmmmm, seems to me that if folks are having fun they would be more inclined to continue. if they continue having fun, others would see how much fun they are having and join in. more fun, less rules!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Olsonknight

Have them watch combat first. that seems to be motivating.  after that keep it cheap with foamies - It's still as fun with foam
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM
boiler1

Several new guys have joined in regular RCCA combat after getting hooked flying the incredible easy build SPAD GNAT. Very little cost and construction time. Very durable. Will cut it's own 30 ft streamer.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:16 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Actual combat time must exceed all the time that is spent getting prepared to do battle.
I know how to do this but it involves models that are slower, lighter and less expensive than what the RCCA has engineered for official AMA rules combat.
There also has to be a breed of young men who have the physical ability to work a normal 40 hour week and have energy left over for this sort of activity versus laying on the couch or at the computer waiting for the years to pass by with no reserve capacity for any physical activity.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Crosscheck

Hi CP,

I hear you.[8D] Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQwQR...eature=related

There will always be some 'attrition' in any form of Combat.
I know that there are many reasons that a Pilot cannot make the next Match.
The cool thing is,
Everyone, has said to me, 'Combat is Fun!', I'll be back when I can...

The key is attracting newcomers.

And a 'stable' local class, to join/rejoin.
And go flying, and have fun.
It sells itself.

I am lucky to CD the 'Onslaught over Ontario' Maac WW2 Scale Combat Match, for over 10yrs now.[8D]
(Yes, CP, it is 'high speed jousting', and we love it ! Pylon Racing without Pylons !)

We have a great two club rivalry that will continue...
Last year, I had a hard time adding up score sheets. Most were blank.
The best 'Rookies' won 1st/2nd/3rd !

Rules are important to keep the playing field level.
'Scoring' is just that.
Anyone who stays with Combat, 'Enjoys the Game'.[8D]

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

P.S. Boiler, The RCCA Safety Rules are working out flawlessly here. Anyone considering R/C Combat, IT, is a must read.[8D]
I am willing to join, when, the focus aims for local combat.
(There is no way CombatPig will beat me, with so called, 'Points'!...)

P.P.S CP, Slow is great, but, gets very hard in the wind. We started our WW1s with .25s that were 'useless' when the OSFX.25 came along.
It is a Great Game.[8D]
Coat hanger wire/coro...

P.P.P.S. In 2014 till 2018, I will CD a 'Bloody April'/Spring, 'Somme Fun'/Fall WW1 Matches...
Wish us Luck !
Old 09-29-2012, 06:37 AM
boiler1

The Leathal Weapon is a quick build inexpensive kit that flies well. Low cost as well 3/$90 and free shipping. I am expecting 3 in the ups today. They were mentioned in last months Model Aviation RC Combat column. The SPAD Gnat is a super easy build for non-builders and a lot of fun. Glide path is between a plane and a rock.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Don B.H.

This well get them into COMBAT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40401.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	1822079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61116.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	1822080  
Old 11-21-2012, 03:07 PM
DaneMcGee

ORIGINAL: Don B.H.

This well get them into COMBAT

Yes it will! Looking good Don!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 PM
draftman1

nice Gnat there Don!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 PM
draftman1

nice Gnat there Don!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 04:51 PM
boiler1

I flew my Gnat against Don's blue meany last week and we had a blast. The club spectators are starting to taste combat fun. I expect to see many more next season.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:24 PM
rsunleaded

my brother and i have two SE5A from hobby king and have been flying together the last couple of weeks just trying formation and chasing each other then yesterday we hooked up a couple of crape paper streamers used about 5mtrs of braid fishing line and then 10 mtr streamer .Well did we have fun he has not long gone solo but that didn't stop him chasing me all over the sky these little planes are so menoverable that you can almost cut your own streamer , there was a couple of close calls with terra firmer but after two rounds it was one nill to me. then another member arrived with his park fly SE5A and he wanted to join in so off all three of us went , there was planes going every where till some one from the pits said whos model just went down in the long grass padock that ajoins our field , turns out it was mine i had some how started flying one of the other and mine went off on its own , LOL any way the model suffered a littel bit of damage which i could have fixed at the field but i dont normally do that and we had used all our battery so we called it a day, we did all three bouts when the flight line was free an ALL the other guys we cheering us on what great fun and afterwards three other members are thinking of getting one to have a go , I know they are about $150 but we have had ours for a while and really owe us nothing and the fun we had was moor that worth a bit of repair, nad unless you have a midair i think most crashes you have with a foamy are easy repairable i am going to paint mine with some bright colour so i dont LOSE it again Ha Ha
Ray
Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 AM
DaneMcGee

Good job Ray! It just gets better from here.

Have fun!!

Originally Posted by rsunleaded
my brother and i have two SE5A from hobby king and have been flying together the last couple of weeks just trying formation and chasing each other then yesterday we hooked up a couple of crape paper streamers used about 5mtrs of braid fishing line and then 10 mtr streamer .Well did we have fun he has not long gone solo but that didn't stop him chasing me all over the sky these little planes are so menoverable that you can almost cut your own streamer , there was a couple of close calls with terra firmer but after two rounds it was one nill to me. then another member arrived with his park fly SE5A and he wanted to join in so off all three of us went , there was planes going every where till some one from the pits said whos model just went down in the long grass padock that ajoins our field , turns out it was mine i had some how started flying one of the other and mine went off on its own , LOL any way the model suffered a littel bit of damage which i could have fixed at the field but i dont normally do that and we had used all our battery so we called it a day, we did all three bouts when the flight line was free an ALL the other guys we cheering us on what great fun and afterwards three other members are thinking of getting one to have a go , I know they are about $150 but we have had ours for a while and really owe us nothing and the fun we had was moor that worth a bit of repair, nad unless you have a midair i think most crashes you have with a foamy are easy repairable i am going to paint mine with some bright colour so i dont LOSE it again Ha Ha
Ray
Old 04-06-2014, 04:52 PM
boiler1

I just got back from the Toledo show and several dozen guys were interested in starting up some combat using the SPAD GNAT. I had one on the table and they really got excited about it. Low cost and fast build is a good formula when you also have durability. Several wanted to know if you could fly with electric. Yes was the answer, just don't ask me what the right combination of motor, battery, and ESC would be. I did promote the idea we are trying to start and electric only class with a 3S 1000mah max power source. I had an old 1/2 A plane that I had converted to electric but haven't had a chance to toss into the air yet. Tomorrow looks like more rain but Tue may be the trial flight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.