Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build

Old 01-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Firebar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build

Steve
It is good to see that you are back making progress on the Skyraider. The wing progress looks good. A little different method on the wing tube, but it seems to have worked out fine. Has Boyd made any progress on his contribution?

Now that you are making good progress on your Skyraider we will have to encourage SBD to get moving again.

Charlie
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Firebar

After two years of development and construction, I have been working on getting the the folding wing Skyraider added to the website. It took several months to get the webmaster (my son) moving but we finally got the website updated with information on the folding wing version of the Skyraider. I decided to offer the folding wing plans as a package with the two additional sheets of plans, instruction set, and a construction photo CD showing the details of the wing fold. I think that the installation of the wing folding hardware is better explained in photos than figuring it out from a flat drawing.

Check out the update at www.kelloggplans.com
Charlie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97090.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1715819  
Old 01-21-2012, 04:57 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Charlie,

Here is the spec and history posters on the AD-5 from the museum.

Error message, will try to load later.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:18 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie
Absolutely beautiful, you my friend are a true ARTISAN in a world of ARFs and instinct gratification. I hope one day to be half as good as you.
Larry
Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Firebar

Steve
Thanks for posting the Skyraider information to the thread. It is nice to have the info handy in this thread.
Are you making any progress on your Skyraider?

Thanks Larry,
If you keep going on your Avenger as you have been you will have a model to be proud of. I have been following your Avenger build and it is amazing how you get things done with the small amount of time you have to spend on it.

Charlie
Old 01-27-2012, 01:40 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Charlie,

I am making slow progress with small steps.

How is SBD coming on his?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 PM
SBDdauntless
My Feedback: (2)

Hope you all forgive me for this post on the AD5 thread...BUT if you look back to page 10 you will see my SBD after WarBirds Over PA. It has been almost a year to the day that she went down. We will have her back to Warbirds Over PA July 28. Don't know if we will fly but it will be there. So, I would like to post a couple images of the SBD Dauntless. Just excited to show her off.

Name:	Ol31249.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1783397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40005.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1783398  
Old 07-18-2012, 07:03 PM
WARBIRDRCER

SBD,

Glad to hear from you. The SBD looks great, again!

I have not much to report on the AD-5, but still have a place for it on my work bench. Maybe we can start posting a few pics of our projects to bring our thread back to life.

I do have one great piece of news, at least for us; Noah from the Kellogg Avenger thread moved to Oklahoma and became a member of the Military and Vintage Aircraft Association (MVAA) and now flies’s with me at Area 51. The Avenger with the MOKI 150 is awesome!

Hope to hear from you soon,

Steve
Old 07-19-2012, 06:37 AM
SBDdauntless

WBD'r
Yes, I did see that he moved to your neck of the woods.
What a great builder to have access to!

Thank goodness I have Charlie around the corner.
We were together the other night scratching our heads over the cowl/dummy engine mounting on the SBD.

I pulled out the AD5's center section and found a whole in the top of the wing. Not to big just and pain in the neck.
I would like to get the wheel knees on soon. The fuse is built all I have to do is connect the frame work for the canopy.
Then I am ready to glass. I have decided to model my AD5 after a target tug. Charlie designed the belly pan for me.
I do have my cool scheme picked out too.

Name:	Sq48325.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1783516  
Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 AM
ducky22

That is fantastic! My boys are 5 and just turning 7 an so far have shown no interest yet. :-(

I was refering to your post on 1-8-12

Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
SBDdauntless

I know what you mean...my boys either flew or went me until they found GIRLS!
That's a good thing but I lost my flying buddies.
So there is a small window of opportunity!

Now in their twenties I still get help in the basement moving these giants around or helping with build ideas.
It's all good!

Fran
Old 07-19-2012, 04:17 PM
lkahn4

Fran,
Great job on the Dauntless, very impressed. As soon as I make the repairs to my P-38 I'll be back to work on the T-28 Trojan
I'm posting our Avenger pix on the Avenger site for thos ppl whose emails I didn't have

Larry
Old 07-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Firebar

So this is where this thread went......

I took my Skyraider with the folding wings to Warbirds Over Delaware last weekend. I got a flight on it on Friday but couldn't make it back on Saturday to fly again. Delaware RC runs a great event each year.
I had an interview with SKS videos and hopefully they will include some footage of the Skyraider on their WOD 2012 video.

July 28 and 29 is Warbirds over PA in Quakertown, PA. I plan to fly both of my Skyraiders there if the weather cooperates.

Maybe Larry will venture down from NY with his Avenger for the event?

Charlie
Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Charlie,

The museum here sold the AD-5 to the Collins Foundation while they were here with the B-17 and P-51, so you can keep an eye on their web-site to see when they will be in your town. It would be nice to see the two AD-5s together. Also they will be selling rides in it as well.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM
WARBIRDRCER

ORIGINAL: ducky22

That is fantastic! My boys are 5 and just turning 7 an so far have shown no interest yet. :-(

I was refering to your post on 1-8-12

Ducky22,

Welcome to the AD-5 thread. Are you looking to build an AD-5 from Charlie Kellogg?

I know I have it great with my little helper. He really shows his own interest in aviation. He asks to fly RC, he turns on the computer to fly his G-3 and his Micro Soft flight simulators, and gets upset if I leave the house without him. It all started very early as you can see. I would stop working to change, feed, and burp, then back to work. It took time for him to get use to the drills, saws, and other startling things, but once he did he could not keep his hands off of the stuff.

In June he flew his T-41 (converted SR Kadit with flaps and extended wingspan) on the buddy box with me during his first IMAA event during the Oklahoma Sooner Squad’s Jumbo Fly-in.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:55 AM
ducky22

Thank you for the welcome. I have to admit that I am pretty green with envy over your relationship with your little helper. I tend to introduce many new things for my boys and let them choose as they will. I guess one blessing in their disinterest is that their play area is in one end of the basement and my shop is in another and I have never had any "accidents" or them borrowing tools/planes.

While the Skyraider is appealing, it is not on my to-do list at the moment. I am currently finishing up a Ziroli P-61, my build thread is on the "other" forum, rcgroups. On deck is the Ziroli Stuka.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Fran and Charlie,

I know it is not much, but I cut out my aileron and flap ribs and started framing up the flaps.

My little helper has been readying his field box and sharpening up his flying skills. He wants this one on the buddy box for him.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:13 PM
SBDdauntless

Charlie and I spent the day a few weeks ago at Warbirds Over Pennsylvania in Quakertown, PA.
He had his Skyradiers out together for the first time.

This our home field...Buc-Le Areo Sportsman.
Come out next year and enjoy the fun.
Maybe I will have mine ready for next year...HAHA!

Later,
Fran

Name:	Lj22243.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1797076  
Old 08-31-2012, 04:20 PM
lkahn4

Absolutely gorgeous workmanship, with any luck I will make it there next year before my move to warm (read hot) and sunny Arizona.

Fran can't wait to see yours

Larry
Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 AM
maddog 71

Glad to see some one put a thread up about the Kellogg AD-5 Ive been on the fence over this plane for a while thanks for the info.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:27 PM
WARBIRDRCER

ORIGINAL: maddog 71

Glad to see some one put a thread up about the Kellogg AD-5 Ive been on the fence over this plane for a while thanks for the info.
maddog 71,

Jump off of that fence and add to the thread. Charlie is the best of help and support, and has the endurance to wait on me to finish too. The plans are still on the table Charlie, I promise. Boyd and I are discussing our winter strategy, so keep him at bay with the S-2.

SBD, What’s up with yours?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:37 AM
SBDdauntless

Hi Warbirder

Happy Thanksgiving!

I finally did it cleaned the work bench and put the Skyraider back on the bench. I had a few mishaps with the center section...like a couple of thing may have fallen through the top sheeting. But they are all fixed and recovered with glass. The next thing I am going to do is something Charlie did on his aileron linkage. I need to place more wire guides to make sure they don't flex. I really hope to have her finished for the spring....well at least that my goal. RIGHT!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:41 AM
WARBIRDRCER

SBD,

Great to hear you are going to work on your AD-5 again. I am planning the same during the winter while it is to cold to be working on many of my other non-RC projects. Keep us posted on your progress, and maybe they will fly in 2013.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 PM
WARBIRDRCER

I know things are going to get busy very soon, so while it is on my mind; Merry Christmas everyone
Old 08-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Firebar

I guess our Skyraider builders have been busy with other projects for a while. I had to do a search to just to find the build thread. Maybe a few new contributors could re-spark their momentum.

The kelloggplans web site has been down for a couple months. I have had numerous modelers ask about it and I am glad to report that the website is back up and running.

The address is www.kelloggplans.net

At this time mobile devices don't seem to be able to access the site. The webmaster (my son) tells me that he is working on it and will have it corrected soon.

Plans and parts for the Skyraider are in stock and available.

Charlie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.