Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

Gas Powered World Models P51 GS

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Gas Powered World Models P51 GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:49 AM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas Powered World Models P51 GS

James, you really need to be patient!!!  

Call me, 404-805-8302, if you need to dump as I really feel your pain.  

I kept both of my racers intact at Mulberry so, I should be able to get some decent progress on the "Double Trouble" and start updating the build thread. in this next month.[8D]

So at 5.5" CG did you move it forward or back from the factory setting?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:59 AM
cjbotox
My Feedback: (11)

Thanks, I will save up for better retracts as our runway is Florida crab grass that's very unforgiving.

But I still need to know what you guys use to balance these models with for C of G? Just fingers? I'm on budget restraints and I'd love to get an EZ balancer but its off limits.

I will be buying a DLE 35, I have researched alot of engines for this model/airframe and this one looks like its in the top 5.

John
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 AM
rcpilot32
My Feedback: (67)

Barry, John,
I am holding back on my comments about the engine. Hopefully, I will get some satisfaction soon.
The DLE 35 rear exhaust would be my engine of choice. Unfortunately, it came out a couple of months after I purchased my PTE 36.

John, I do not have a balancer. I got my wife to hold one side of the wing while I held the other side. I flew the airplane at 7 inches from the front part of the wing and almost didn't get it back down. Just a little elevator was causing it to "snap out". At 5.5 inches, it handles well. Did not nose over on landing either.

I moved the CG forward about an inch and a half.

James
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 AM
BarryReade

Thanks for the input James.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:12 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an early version of this plane. It was the miss america version and I have flown some 100 times or so. I have the CG where they say it should be - 6.9 inches back from the front corner of the wing. Not from the flat area that fits into the fuselage but the front corner. Mine does not snap but you might be doing relatively sharp turns at higher speeds compared to my turns, although I have always flown my mustangs at full throttle from takeoff to the start of the landing pattern (about 1/2 way along the downwind leg).

The last time I flew mine was a couple of years ago using a 2 stroke engine and a master airscrew 17-8 scimitar prop which unloads a lot in the air and the GS was pretty fast - but then I have never had mine radared. I am converting the engine to a DLE 30 now, and the covering is redone the the Cipes-A-Mighty 3rd.

I did try moving the CG back and this does result in snapping out of loops with a CG maybe 3/8 to 1/2 further to the rear than the 6.9 inches they show.

To check CG I made some plates from scrap plywood and some balsa strips. I tape these to the wing at the cg location and I use the rubber pencil erasers you buy at Wal-Mart on some actual pencils to support the wing in the space between the balsa strips - there is very little gap between the balsa strips beyond what the add-on eraser tips use. So I think the CG is pretty close to 6.9 inches. Once I identify the CG location I use part of the decals to mark this on both sides of the wing so I can recheck the CG if necessary.

Ed
Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
GIJon
My Feedback: (118)

James...great thread...thanks! I built one of these in 2002 (Double Trouble II) and powered it with the OS 160 2 stroke on Pro-spark ignition. I used Spring-Air retracts and Lite-flyte struts. It radared at 82mph and flew like a dream. I don't recall any CG issues and I built it mostly by the book except for some of my own mods. I used epoxy to make a one piece wing. I used the tiller bar/bellcrank assembly for the elevator. I also used epoxy and micro balloons to coat the entire landing gear block assembly as I did not feel comfortable with the hardwood blocks just glued to the balsa ribs and sheeting. I never had a landing gear problem. I still kick myself for selling it. I acquired another in a trade and have two more OS 160s on ignition looking for a home...so I may build another. I'm not sure how old my current ARF is and I have not inspected it, but assume your kit was new.

That brings up a question. My original from 2002 did not have fillets to transition the fuse to the wing. I have a template I used to make fillets from 1/64th" ply and micro balloons w/epoxy then painted with silver Lustrekote. Did your ARF come with fillets or did you have to make them as well?

Thank you for any comments,
Jon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19307.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1822334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77252.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1822335  
Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just pick up mine and thinking of building it soon. DLE 55 for now to test how worthy the air frame is.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:29 PM
rcpilot32

Jon, mine came with the fillets.

I would love to be able to fly mine but since the engine has been gone for almost 4 months for repairs, I will have to keep waiting.

James
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 PM
GIJon

I hope you get it back soon. I know what it's like having to wait for stuff like that.

Roger on the fillets. I wonder if they could be purchased seperately so I don't have to make them again. Although, I found the template this evening even after 10 years...imagine that.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:25 AM
rcpilot32

Check with Don Stegall. He is a dealer and writes articles on the Mustang also.

James
Old 11-22-2012, 07:41 AM
cjbotox

If you purchased a new (or within last year) TWM GS Mustang, you will have the new and improved Generation 2 model. I just bought one about 3 weeks back and have nothing but praise for Airborne Models and their customer service. Had a minor problem with a quarter sized ding in the wing from UPS, and Airborne was VERYquick to resolve this matter. Their quality/value per dollar is an honest confutation for their competetors.

As for the wing fillets, ONLY the Miss America comes with them built in (why?) so get them templates out. I along with other owners of this model would like to see how you add this mod. I am trying to configure a light wieght retractable tail wheel to my P-51 Rockwell and when it's ready, I'll post it. Also, I know its sort of a gamble but I will be initially flying my plane with stock gear and no mods to retract mains (to save weight) as this newer version has many of the necessary upgrades that were problematic. Even the servo retract wells have been moved under the fuse and therefore always open for inspection.

James and Don have done an excellent job on these builds. I could have built this with instructions alone but their contributions definately reduced a lot of confusion.

Fai (pronounced Fy) at Airborne Models in Livermore, CA USA, Tel: 925-371-0922 sales@airborne-models.com is very reachable and is the actual engineer of Airborne model planes. I teased him about his name spelled FAI, an acronym everyone knows in this hobby and he said "yeah, I guess I was born to fly..." So ANYTHING pertaining to tech questions about this model, you can get answers from the original designer!

I hope to see you follow and join the RCPRO as I will because I believe Don Stegal and Barry Reade have started something here that could be highly contageous and uber fun at reasonable cost. Something about this size engine (30 - 38) is spreading rapidly.

Now I'm going to eat and eat turkey and all the trimmings like a pig... and give thanks!

John

Old 11-22-2012, 08:35 AM
GIJon

Thanks for the info guys.
cjbotox - if you look at post #31, I posted a photo of my fuse with the wing fillet. It turned out nice.
I also just got a great deal on Robart 701RS and 7/16 struts to replace the stock gear and much cheaper than the Spring-Air 404s.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 AM
rcpilot32

As I understand from Don Stegall, with my suggestions, the new lot of Mustangs will have improvements. The wing should come fully sheeted and more glue added to the LG blocks.

James
Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My double trouble has wing fillets and open bay wings.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 AM
BarryReade

My Double Trouble came with wing fillets.

Name:	If10823.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1822548  
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 AM
BarryReade

An even better picture.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 AM
BarryReade

At one time Fai had some of these GS P-51 that were structually sound but had some blems that got through QA at a really great price.  Call and ask.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 AM
cjbotox

ORIGINAL: GIJon
I also just got a great deal on Robart 701RS and 7/16 struts to replace the stock gear and much cheaper than the Spring-Air 404s.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Out of curiosity; is this good deal private purchase or is it a black friday deal going on?

Barry & Airaptor:
Well, this proves my point about Airborne Models - they're rapidly updating to please without cost increases. Probably a Generation3 to come. Still don't know why the Rockwell version didn't come with this. I will contact Fai after holidays and find out, and will also find out about wing improvements such as completed shear webbing and total wing sheeting.

John

Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 AM
BarryReade

This was an ongoing deal for the Blemished versions.When the new generation comes out it should be good for a 50cc engine.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 AM
cjbotox

Thanks Barry, I will inquire. Would like to have a set of spare wings.

Which retracts are you using? I think now after parousing internet that maybe I'd rather get a good set of electric retracts in the future. Most all of them have a fail safe function like spring airs that detect low voltage and kick down the gear. Savings in weight too. Price is a draw back though. I spoke with another gentleman 'Carlos G' about his use of robart tail retracts in this plane and he said NO, too heavy - that's why I'm gonna try designing something.

Also, since you're involved with regulating the RCPRO rules, is it really gonna benefit that much to up the engine to 50 or 55? I've seen a comment (I think James) where a guy at Joe Nall wasn't all too impressive.

John
Old 11-22-2012, 12:47 PM
BarryReade

I haven't decided which retracts I am going to use. I have been leaning toward the LADO's but they are expensive. After talking to Don I am going to try and make the stock system work and possibly upgrade the struts to the Robart's shock absorbing struts. That would be considerably less?? than going with the high prioce spread. I was also looking at the Hobby King electric retracts. Wow!! Decisions decisions.As for the rule changes and most recent conversation with Don. We, RCPRO, are sticking with the original motor size until we get a few races under our belts with this size plane at least and are leaning toward keeping this class. The great thing about this is it really keeps the cost down to get into Giant Scale racing.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:49 PM
cjbotox

Amen! That sounds like pretty good idea, just replacing struts. The club I fly at is very unforgiving on fast, hard landings. Thanks for the reply, as you and Don may already know the retract mechanisms now included have been one of the upgrades. I don't know about the first generation GSP-51's but these are spring loaded like the Dave Brown I use. I have paid attention to James' complaint about the struts bending a little AND even the instruction manual shows 'how to rebend' them; a little disconcerting. For those of you who have answered me already on your retract recommendations I thank you. I'm not sure what I'll end up with like Barry said "decisions... decisions". Other than the retracts, I have no intentions or plans to change from original ideas.

I'm pleased to hear the rules not will be abrogated, hopefully not for awhile yet. As Don has pointed out, this plane / engine match has been carefully thought out for stresses and managable balancing. I plan to have my Rockwell up and running in about 4 more weeks...

DLE 35 - stock retracts (maybe) - elevator servos at rear - stock gas tank as recommended - C of G at 5.5" - Aurora9 using 8 channels.

Wings are ready (with stock retracts and Spektrum A700 servos), tackling the tail stuff next.

John
Old 11-22-2012, 02:36 PM
BarryReade

John have you considered a tuned pipe for you DLE-35. I know that Don and I both will be running one. Pic with the head pipe on.

Name:	Yw68154.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1822817  
Old 11-22-2012, 03:45 PM
cjbotox

Yes I did but... I couldn't find a tuned system ready for this new engine. Considering it has a rear exaust will also create some extensive protrusions out and under the wing. On the other hand, this engine is very powerful and my hope is that I'll be very competitive.

I wouldn't rule it out if in the future something becomes available. If tuned pipes work on gas the way they do on glow, there's a definate advantage.

What's the schedual for racing next year? You guys wanna come here to Florida for a meet?

John
Old 11-22-2012, 05:32 PM
BarryReade

They didn't have one for the OS33GT but Don and I got Mac Products to make the header. I got a 35cc pipe from Horizon. LINK for about $85. Some expansion chambers are as much as $300. You will just need an "S" shapedheader to get it out of the fuselage and then you will have to tune it to get the most bang from it.Remamber also there areno fuel regulations in this class so you can mess with nitro if you are good at that sort of thing.

I will be down to Apopka, FL for the Tangerine Pylon race on the weekend of 8 December.

I was also looking at the Florida C40 circuit and might be able to make one of the Gainesville races next year.I will be going to both Mulberry races, Ft Lauderdale and Apopka next year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.