Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Old 08-19-2011, 02:49 PM
WVrailfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

It started out as the newer gray/blue version.

Thanks
Jim
Old 08-30-2011, 09:01 AM
WVrailfan

Took my freshly painted Trojan for a ridea couple of days agoand a buddy went along and took a few photos. This is fast becoming my favorite plane.

Jim
Old 08-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Very nice, I bet it's way more visible, even against a gray sky.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:05 AM
rsbabcock

Love the colors.  How does the 3 blade prop perform compared with the stock 2 blade.

I love my T-28s.  I have both Navy and Air Force along with many other planes, both nitro and electric.  I fly t-28 more than all others combined.

Anyone have problems securing the battery?  I have had trouble with one of mine with the battery shifting forward and causing a severe nose heavy balance problem. 
Old 12-21-2011, 11:19 AM
WVrailfan

I haven't put a watt meter on it, so I can't tell you exactly how the 3 blade does on power consumption, but I think it is generally agreed 3 blade props shorten flight times, so I just plan on five minutes and land. What I like is the 3 blade prop makesmore thrust andseems to give the plane better slow speed manners, which helps on landing.

I haven’t noticed the motor or ESC getting hot, so I don’t think it is stressing them any at all.

Jim

By the way, I have ordered the FMS 1400 mm T-28, I plane to paint it the same.

ORIGINAL: rsbabcock

Love the colors. How does the 3 blade prop perform compared with the stock 2 blade.

I love my T-28s. I have both Navy and Air Force along with many other planes, both nitro and electric. I fly t-28 more than all others combined.

Anyone have problems securing the battery? I have had trouble with one of mine with the battery shifting forward and causing a severe nose heavy balance problem.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM
ka9fax
My Feedback: (9)

Hi Jim,
Great looking bird!!!!!!!!! just wondering if u would tell me the paint color's u used, i know u said Testors brand. also did u repaint the whole wing and fuse? Also if u can give me any tips on how u painted it as far as masking and 1st few steps. This will be my 1st paint job and not to sure what to look out for. reason im asking is i crashed two planes due to them blending in with sky, the plane flys so well i keep rebuilding, i always want to keep one in my hanger. So mabe if i go with this yellow. i will see better.
thanks for your time
Tony
Old 12-21-2011, 03:34 PM
rsbabcock

I painted a Hobby Zone Super Cub and had poor results.  The reason is the mold release they use on the foam.  It is similar to paste wax.  It will accept paint well if the mold release is washed well with a Joy dish soap solution before painting.  I don't know if the Park Zone foam also has residual mold release or not.  Any problems with this?

Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 PM
WVrailfan

I used Testors Model Master Laquer in the 3 oz spray cans. For this plane I used Hemi Orange, Chrysler Yellow and AMCSterling Silver.

I have also used Krylon spray paint on foam planes with pretty good success.

You will likely have to prime any area you removed decals,since the original paint will come off with the decal, I use a good automotive light gray, butI have also used Krylon and it is okay. I try to leave as much original paint as I can as primer.

I wipe down anything I'm going to spray paint with some rubbing alcohol to remove oil and dirt.

I use green Frog tape for masking and I stick it to something like my shirt to remove some sticky before using it. Getting paint to stick to foam is a challenge and this tape is the only kind I have found that won't pull off the original paint or primer I have applied.

There are some folks here that have created much better looking planes than I, so I am no expert. This is just how I do mine.

Good Luck
Jim
ORIGINAL: ka9fax

Hi Jim,
Great looking bird!!!!!!!!! just wondering if u would tell me the paint color's u used, i know u said Testors brand. also did u repaint the whole wing and fuse? Also if u can give me any tips on how u painted it as far as masking and 1st few steps. This will be my 1st paint job and not to sure what to look out for. reason im asking is i crashed two planes due to them blending in with sky, the plane flys so well i keep rebuilding, i always want to keep one in my hanger. So mabe if i go with this yellow. i will see better.
thanks for your time
Tony
Old 12-23-2011, 11:20 AM
ka9fax

thank you jim for the good info. i just called my lhs and everything was in stock but the silver he has is a matellic silver. the number is 28141 he thinks thats the right one because he said none of his paint slots are missing but i wanted to ask u before buying. also were did u get the kool gear? it really gives a nice scale look. i also hv alot of the blue tape, but im not going to take a chance, ill get the frog...
merry christmas
tony
Old 12-23-2011, 01:21 PM
cjg

Keep the battery from sliding with a strip of velcro on both the battery and bottom of the battery tray.

Sometime ago I posted the bench test for amps with stock propeller and 10x7x3 3 blade. As I remember about 10% increase or so.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:59 PM
WVrailfan

Yes, the silver is Metallic. I would think about any metallic silver would do. The landing gear covers are by Robart, I think I got mine at Hobbyzone.com but anyone that carries Robart landing gear should have them. They just go on over the original wire landing gear. They are plastic and light weight. I also wnt with slightly bigger wheels to help with grass take offs.

You can find good photos of the real plane, as well as other good looking T-28s here
http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true

Jim

ORIGINAL: ka9fax

thank you jim for the good info. i just called my lhs and everything was in stock but the silver he has is a matellic silver. the number is 28141 he thinks thats the right one because he said none of his paint slots are missing but i wanted to ask u before buying. also were did u get the kool gear? it really gives a nice scale look. i also hv alot of the blue tape, but im not going to take a chance, ill get the frog...
merry christmas
tony
Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 PM
ka9fax

Well here is a start. i was told at the LHS not to use this lacquer on the plane, that it would get all ate up. I told them that it has been done and i bought the pant anyway. Jim did u start with the Navy or Airforce fuse? i guess if i primer it good it will not melt on me...lol
Tony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14125.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1705676  
Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 AM
WVrailfan

I started with the dark gray and blue Air Force version. I did use some automotive spray-can gray primer over the dark blue areas, I don't think I primed the entire airplane, but it won't hurt.

The Testors paint didn't eat any foam on my plane, and I have used it on bare foam on other planes. It dries pretty quick. Try it on an area you won't see after the plane is finished to make sure.

I paint my planes like any other models, several light coats to achive the color desired, rather than one or two heavy coats which would likely have runs. Give primer time to dry completely before covering it, and give paint time to at least get tacky before the next coat.

Jim
Old 12-28-2011, 06:22 PM
ka9fax

Sounds good will do, i had the wing primered last night. So today i put the silver on. All is good, no eating of the foam. anyone know of any type of filler than can be used on foam? i hv a few bad dings. If there is no good fix i will just live with it, i hv alot on my other t-28 just from transport. The foam is a little soft.
Tony
Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 PM
rsbabcock

I use a product made by SIG called Micro Balloons - Filler Material. I bought it at my local hobby shop. You mix it with epoxy glue and add color with paintetc. if color is anissue. It is sandable also. I have filled many dings in my two T-28's.

Bob W6MWY.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 PM
ka9fax

Thanks Bob, i will try that tomorrow or in the morning. I see your a ARO.
73, KA9FAX
Old 01-05-2012, 04:42 PM
rsbabcock

I just installed a Power 10 BL outrunner motor, 1100kv on my T-28 and upsized the prop to 11" WOW!!!! This bird rocks. It will climb straight up and out of sight with the stock speed control. It is not any more difficult to fly than with the stock motor. Honestly, it was so darn fast that the tape covering the aileron servowires on the undrside of the wing came off COMPLETELY. When I taxied back, the aileron servo wire was hanging down on the starboard side. This is a wonderful upgrade to an already wonderful bird. I am going to convert my other T-28 as soon as a second motor arrives. The best part is, it is a direct bolt up with not drilling whatsoever. Less than $60 plus a larger prop and you have a super flying T-28. I can't stop giggling, hee hee.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:53 PM
wing_nutt

I NEED HELP.
After installing my radio gear in my new PNP T-28 I found that the motor will surge or pulse at full power. Also the motor is only pulling about 100 watts on a 3cell 20c lipo (that seems low). The servos were all working normal at that point i.e. no signs of glitching. My radio is a Futaba 8uaf with a Hitec 2.4Ghz module and a Hitec Optima 6 lite Rx. The motor and esc are stock. Any insight on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:15 AM
downunderdog

I would guess that there's a bad solder joint between the ESC and the motor (one of the three phases has a bad connection), or a problem with the ESC.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 AM
guapoman2000

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Due to some very strange issues with my radio gear (Spektrum AR500) my Airforce T-28 Trojan has crashed twice as a direct result from radio not responding. I have thrown it away and gone back to Castle Creations BERG 4-Channel Super Narrow band DSP 72Mhz.

A few repairs to share with you all....opcorn:

She took to the sky again!
Photo Credit by David Hart

Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 AM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice repair, have done it myself.

Some of our club members have complained about there Spektrum stuff browning out.

After they crashed 2 planes each they went to Fatuba equipment.

I have 2, DX6I and have not had a issue with any of my planes or helis.

I use the value hobby 2.4Ghz 6 channel RX in about 90% of my planes (the $9 one) and fly just great. Only have 1 plane with a AR5100.

Check some posts in the TX section of this forum for Spektrum brown outs.

Keep up the good work.

Larry
Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Yep, nice work and thanks for the detailed pics, they are helpful for those looking for repair ideas.
I also had an AR500 go out and I destroyed my F4F Wildcat. I have noticed that I have never had a problem with my Orange Spektrum compatible receveivers. Now I have 90% orange and 10% Spektrum.

I almost thought this thread was dead.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 PM
dwilt72

Does anyone know where I can find just the airframe (no servos, etc) for the original red and white Parkzone Trojan? I'm looking for one for my son-in-law for Christmas. I'm not finding much. I see the airframe for the Mustang, P-47, etc. If anyone even has the part # that would help a bunch.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM
WVrailfan

I let my teenage niece fly my Trojan. It was her first time flying and she was doing pretty good, just flying lazy loops around the flying field. At one point she was letting it lose a little altitude so I mentioned that she should give a little up elevator, which she had done several times. She must have pushed the stick forward because, from about 60 feet up the Trojan dove straight into the ground at about 2/3 throttle. It happened very fast!

At first I wasn’t too concerned, the grass is tall and cushions most impacts, I know from experience. I thought I would just be gluing it back together later that evening.

Then…we saw, smoke! We grabbed a couple of bottles of water and ran the 100 feet or so to where the plane had crashed. The crash damage really wasn’t that bad, but apparently it was hard enough to damage the battery or the crash caused a short because the plane was engulfed in thick smoke as the lipo consumed itself.

The lipo burned through the bottom of the plane, taking the ESC with it, but by keeping water on the rest of the plane we saved the motor, RX and servos.

My niece felt terrible about destroying one of her uncle’s planes, but I assured her, I had crashed that plane more than once myself and her crash was at least much more spectacular and scale looking than any of mine. So I no longer have a PZ T-28, I have finished wrapping my FMS T-28!

Jim

Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now thats a crash worth talking about.

When was the last time you really crashed and had the smoke and fire to go along with it.

I dont think you will be fixing that one with some Elmers glue and tape.....

Hope you get over the loss of a great flying plane...

Larry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.