Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Defective Gens ACE Lipo Batteries

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Defective Gens ACE Lipo Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:44 PM
CubClipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective Gens ACE Lipo Batteries

Fellow RCers’, are your Gens Ace LiPo batteries failing like mine and my fellow clubs member’s Gen Ace LiPo batteries are failing? We have found that over a few months storage on storage voltage or not on storage voltage Gens Ace LiPo batteries are failing. What we are seeing is that the batteries will check ok on a battery checker and will even charge and balance (though it may take more time than usual). Once you put the Gens Ace LiPo battery in your plane it will have enough power to get your plane into the air, but will cause your motor to begin surging. You may even crash your plane. All of my Gens Ace LiPo batteries have failed with limited flight time on them. My fellow club members and I have other brands of LiPo batteries with more time and flights on them and these brands are still working fine. Only our Gens Ace LiPo batteries are failing. I am getting no help from HobbyPartz.com and if I contacted the correct person, no help from Gens Ace. I would like as many of you who are experiencing premature Gens Ace LiPo battery failures to respond to this post. We will let Gens Ace and our fellow RCers' know just how serious this problem is.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:07 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Defective Gens ACE Lipo Batteries

I bought two packs of "acepow" batts very early on long before they got popular to test. They tested fine and were a good deal. The 2sx4000 pack is ok so far , but the 2sx5000 pack had one cell go 0 volts and a year later the other cell went to 0. Both packs had about 6 cycles or less on them. I wrote them off long before they even got popular.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM
OEMFlyer

I have at least one Gens Ace 2200mah 25c doing this. I have several more of various mah that I dont know about yet due to flying season being over until spring. Will keep you posted.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM
OEMFlyer

Make that 2 2200 mhr 25c failed!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 AM
siberianhusky

Yep I had a pair die on me as well, they also don't hold their voltage under load very well, even when new. Tested by me with a datalogger the Gens ace all seemed to average 1 volt less under load compared to TP or Polyquest, Even the cheap Turnigy packs held their voltage better.
I won't buy them again, they don't hold up under the loads I put on them.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had one lose a cell while on storage in a climate controlled garage. The other is still going strong. they both put out good amps and stayed cool considering I was pushing them pretty hard after break-in. I was pulling about 90 amps at takeoff from 4S 4000 25C batteries. I might have 30 cycles since break in.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM
pheonixarrison

Thesebatteries have chemical inbalance within the packs. I have purchased 8 seperate 4s 4000mah packs and 4 5s packs of the same size. out of the 12 packs only 3 survive after 18 months.these batteries are great when delivered but garbage just as quickly.... any stories are welcome and i will pass them on so no one else gets burned on these low quality packs....

happy flying.

send to [email protected]

Old 04-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Flying_Amp

Hi

This is exactly what myself and a few friends using Gens Ace found with their packs last year, never abused always storage charged if not being used for longer than a week, and brought down with 3.7-3.8v per cell on 3's 2200 mah. Mine were even charged at no more than 1c, all failed within the year.

Nobody would believe us last year....