Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Good luck, plan ahead, and enjoy.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 PM
mogman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobH

Happy Thanksgiving All

Yellow is the worst color as far as coverage in my opinion.

Comments, concerns, advice all welcome.
Yellow covers well. IF...you paint the plane white first...in fact makes most colours brighter.

Cheers,
Dave.
W/B #180
Old 11-22-2012, 05:57 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you Dave. I did know that. It's a matter of wanting to paint the plane twice so to speak lol..
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Dash7ATP

ORIGINAL: mogman

Happy Thanksgiving All

Yellow is the worst color as far as coverage in my opinion.

Comments, concerns, advice all welcome.
Yellow covers well. IF...you paint the plane white first...in fact makes most colours brighter.

Cheers,
Dave.
W/B #180

Ihave always used white primer. When you have everything filled, sanded smooth and ready to paint. That's it. The white primer can even be your white with a clear coat. I've done that many times.

Joe

Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 PM
BobH

Dash thats a thought, white primer. FYI My daughter lives in Va Beach. I'm thinking of relocating in Smithfield, Suffolk etc. No need to work now so we can leave No. Va. and its traffic.

Who do you fly with? I know some of the TWRC guys. Thank you.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Dash7ATP

Dash thats a thought, white primer. FYI My daughter lives in Va Beach. I'm thinking of relocating in Smithfield, Suffolk etc. No need to work now so we can leave No. Va. and its traffic.

Who do you fly with? I know some of the TWRC guys. Thank you.

Ilive in Smithfield, and fly with Hamjpton Roads Radio Control club in Suffolk. Our field is only about 15 minutes or less from here, and it's one of the best bunch of guys you will ever want to meet. Keep me informed.

Joe

Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 PM
BobH

Sure thing Joe. I need to do some house hunting in that area etc. So probably things wont happen till after the first of the year.. or spring?

Thank you for the information!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Hope every one had a good Thanksgiving day I sure did
Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 PM
acerc

I'm still eating. Let you know when it's over.
Best regards as well.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:28 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NEW BROTHER ALERT !!!

We have a new Brother. Welcome to BobH, Brother #231. Hope you
have a blast with being a Brother Bob. Sorry about the wait. Haven't been
on in a couple of days.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 11-24-2012, 07:22 AM
BobH

Bill the wait was enjoyable lol. thank you for the welcome.

I'm a Waco lover for many years. A very good friend of mine has a 1929 Bird and a 1931 Fleet. Both in excellent shape. I get to hear those radials run any time I want...So cool!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:30 AM
ceije

I guess its about time I added something to the forum. In going through the forum I came upon several setups that were installed in a Barth 1/3 scale model being built by BigBoy99, Bernie Brother #63, back in 2007. I have been looking for ways to set up the control systems to the rudder and elevator and have been working on a modified version of Bernie's to fit my 1/4 scale Barth kit.

I just finished the rudder/tail wheel pull-pull set up and wanted to share it with the brotherhood today. I'm doing these systems as experiments to see if they aer feesable in a 1/4 scale version. I' hoping my weight doesn't kill me, although if you read Bernie's blogs he said his was ok, all I can do is hope. Fotos to follow, they should speak for themselves. The origional build by BigBoy99 can be found in the Building Pics Waco YMF-5 Barth Modellbau section of the forun pages 9-12, cover the pull pull and tail feather build.

Sorry about the fuzzy fotos I guess its back to foto 101 again.

Chris Melhus, ceije 196

"Sometimes you have to build it a little wrong, in order for it to look right."-DAVE PLATT-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76018.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1823332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68739.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1823333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15942.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1823334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66439.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1823335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91636.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1823336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16141.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1823337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44745.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1823338  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:58 PM
BobH

Do you think you are going to need all that throw for the rudder? Seems like a lot. Why not just come off the servo arm? It's only a 1/4 plane lots different from a 1/3.

I have the same plane, Barth 1/4 Waco. Well its on the way to me at any rate. I should have it the first of the week.

Here's something to consider: When taking off on a Tail dragger you want as little steering as possible. Many full scale planes have a Tail wheel lock for just that purpose. If you used another servo to steer the tail wheel you can reduce it to near Zero thow on take off. Helps keep the plane rolling straight on take off.

How do you like the kit so far? any tips etc with it?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Stickbuilder

I'm in basic agreement with BobH on the tail wheel throw. I'm using a separate servo for the tail wheel on my Waco. You don't want a 1:1 ratio for the rudder and tailwheel. You do however want all the rudder authority that you can get.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 11-24-2012, 03:51 PM
ceije

Do you think you are going to need all that throw for the rudder? Seems like a lot. Why not just come off the servo arm? It's only a 1/4 plane lots different from a 1/3.

I have the same plane, Barth 1/4 Waco. Well its on the way to me at any rate. I should have it the first of the week.

Here's something to consider: When taking off on a Tail dragger you want as little steering as possible. Many full scale planes have a Tail wheel lock for just that purpose. If you used another servo to steer the tail wheel you can reduce it to near Zero thow on take off. Helps keep the plane rolling straight on take off.

How do you like the kit so far? any tips etc with it?

Bob, As far as how I like the kit its a super piece of work, everything is a tight fit as it should be. You may have to read between the lines with the instruction booklet, proceed slowly and you should have no trouble. Hows your German, my kit was packed tight with what looked like the Sunday edition of the New Your Times, nothing has a chance to slip around in transit.

Thanks, for the concerns, yes its a lot of throw, but as I said i'm experimenting. I will look into reducing the steerage on the tail wheel.

regards

Chris Melhus, ceije 196

"You never really finish building a scale aircraft. You just stop working on it."-DAVE PLATT-
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 PM
acerc

I did what BobH and Stickbuilder suggest. Maximum rudder with minimum tail wheel movement. Does make for great ground handling with rudder authority when airbirne.
  Best of luck!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Dang guys I just hooked up my rudder and tail wheel to the same servo.

Welcome BobH to the brotherhood.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 AM
ceije

Bill, Robert, I see the point with the tail wheel movement, I'm going to reduce as much as I can and if not enough I'll go to an extre servo.[&o] Rudder throw I do have and plenty of it, a good thing.

Dan, Sorry dude I didn't mean to destroy your day, and have you tear up your plane.-Murphy's Law-I guess..

Chris Melhus, ceije 196
Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 AM
FMBB

Hi Bob,

as far as the ruder is concerned you do need max. throw for the aerobatics. The throw should be from elevator to elevator. During take of it really depends if you have a grass field or hard covered landing strip. On grass you need only little to nothing to keep the ship straight during take off and landing. On tarmac you have to be very careful, you will certainly need your rudder but the throw should be very limited and careful otherwise your model will end up in a zick zack course and even worse leave the landing strip. As I said no problems on a grass field just open the throttle and up it goes (may be a bit of elevator).

Peter
Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 AM
BobH

Peter, I fly off of grass and asphalt. That depends if I'm flying a jet or warbird. Danke for your thoughts.

Chris I really think the separate servo is the best way to go. Think if this, when you are taxiing you can use dual rates and have plenty of tail wheel throw. Before take off you flip the switch and have no tail wheel throw. Hold up elevator until the speed builds, relax elevator and the tail should rise. Then maybe a tad of up and your off.

My German, hmm I was stationed in Germany for 3 years a long time ago. I'm familar with the language but no way fluent. I will do my best to muddle through the build though lol!

Thank you all for the welcome.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 AM
FMBB

Bob,

no elevator at all during take off, the Waco will get airborne immediately and might be too slow. I never used a second servo on any of the Wacos quarter or third scale. I never thought that I would need one but may be its better, there is of course the advantage to have two different throws due to expo. Let me know your experience. But do not give elevator directly after brake release. The Waco will lift the tail immediately after the engine will built up higher rpms, so if you give elevator the fuselage will get airborne more or less after 3 to 5 meters which might be a bit to slow so close to the surface (not good for landing gear and prop).

Where have you been stationed over here (Frankfurt, Ramstein or Munich area)?

Peter # Brother 170
Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 PM
BobH

Peter, I was stationed at Rhein Main air base. It's no longer there I'm told. It was back in the late 60's during the cold war. I visited Berlin too and saw the wall etc. Went through East Germany and saw that too... Im glad people came to their senses and stopped all that.

I was reading some tips on taking off the full scale Waco. The FIRST thing they advise is to LOCK THE TAIL WHEEL! It's fully castering for taxi and then locked for take off. Of course you have a bigger heavier bird and it takes more runway.. so it may not be necessary on the model. Interesting never the less

Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 AM
FMBB

Hi Bob,

so their is a slight chance that we may have seen each other. I was living in Darmstadt a city close to FAB. The Air force had their also a place and a nice NCO Club which we visited some times when it was an Air force club later on it was army. My school was just near by and we liked to go there during our brakes to have a Hamburger and a Coke. In the early 70s I was working for Lufthansa on the opposite side of the landing field. Now I'm living in Munich.

Peter
Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Errol Levin

Hi Chris and others,

Have a look at my rudder/tailwheel servo setup. I made my own servo arm from carbon fibre. The distances between the ball links are exactly the same as the distances on the tail wheel arm and the rudder horns as per the drawings. This means the wires run exactly parallel and also means that the tail wheel has a lot less throw than the rudder. I hope I am making sense. The servo is a Futaba BLS351 (15.6Kgs @6.0V) which is more than adequate for both. This may help you in your deliberations. It is these deliberations that take hours of your building time and drive one mad.

Regards

ERROL #204
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64468.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1823674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33173.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1823675  
Old 11-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Stickbuilder

Errol,
Nice work with the carbon fiber. What are those velcro pieces for, batteries maybe?

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.