Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Wringing out real Fokker DVII

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Wringing out real Fokker DVII

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 PM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wringing out real Fokker DVII

This is one lucky guy. He gets to fly his own full scale Fokker DVII, and "play amongst the clouds". Looks like he's not afraid to put it through its paces either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZZ82...eature=related

ZZ.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wringing out real Fokker DVII

Thanks for posting this! Great video of some very authentic looking WWI flying. Actually, this is just what I try to accomplish each time I go out to the field. For the 3D guys this may not look flashy, but flying in a convincingly scale manner is its own challenge. and reward. I increased the aileron throw on my Puppeteer so now I can get a reasonably authentic looking barrel roll out of it....which means it looks like a pig going inverted. But I'm going to be studying this video for sure!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 PM
TFF

Mikael Carlson placed second in 1980 and 82 at the scale world championships in the short lived Stand Off Scale class flying a Pfalz. Amazing where model airplanes can take you.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Laird SS

World Scale Cahmpionships have a new (1 year old) class called F4H which is meant to be similar to standoff scale. There is also F4G which is giant scale. It just happened to work out letter wise, the G was not planned to represent Giant.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: TFF
Amazing where model airplanes can take you.
...if you're not careful!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:41 AM
abufletcher

BTW, I love the maneuver begun at the 4:55 mark in the video (after coming of a loop). I suppose it's just a plain old "retournement" (throttle down, boot-full of rudder) but with the camera angle it almost looks like a rolling split-S.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM
destrat

I remember as a kid, 50 plus years ago, discovering the library as my source for learning about WW1 aircraft. I must have checked those books out a thousand times, reading, looking at the pictures, and thinking to myself how great that would be to go back in time because i was never going to see any of these aircraft, boy was I wrong. I'm so appreciative of the guy's who probably thought the same way as a kid and put forth the effort to invest time and money into realizing their dreams of building and flying WW1 aircraft. It is such a treat to watch the video's and better yet see and smell these aircraft in person, for me it has been Rhinebeck over the years. Can you just imagine a Jasta with about 10 - 20 of these aircraft taking off how much noise and smoke they would put out, and then how they would all tangle up in a dogfight. If ever I had an envious bone in my body it would be towards Mr. Carlson, he has done an amazing job, and that is not to say the other guy's haven't either.

Keep up the good work.

Dan
Old 11-26-2012, 03:55 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What a great video...
Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 PM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Thanks for posting this! Great video of some very authentic looking WWI flying

Thanks guys. I saw this and was impressed myself, and immediately thought, "who would better appreciate this than us scale folks?". I, like you mentioned Abu, need to study this some more, as this is how I like to fly as well, attempting to make my maneuvers as "scale" as I can. This is the first time I've ever seen someone really go at it with a real example. I must say that after flying a smaller scale RC-DVII (which was my beater plane...lol) the maneuvers really feel the same, they just seem a lot slower due to the increased scale of the full size in the video. It is really cool to see the full size pulling these moves though. Pretty neat.

ZZ.

PS. I've been enjoying following your Albatros CII build Abu.....very nice.

.....also in the video around 2:27 there is a small raccoon like creature that chases the plane out onto the strip (look to the right rear of the plane during taxi). Then upon landing, you can still see it move when the plane approaches touchdown....wonder what that is.....lol.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:19 PM
ARUP

Cool post! If that auto hadn't been in the scene at the end it could easily have been WWI at the Jasta's field!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 PM
valleyk

I’ve seen many reproduction and authentic WW1 planes fly. Never once have I’ve seen the acrobatics done as shown in this video. My hat is off to this airman who can show us what these planes were capable of. Maybe someday someone across the pond will show us what a camel or pup can do.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:38 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This same pilot has a full scale DR1 video also on youtube, it popped up in the sidebar ... It was a similar flight...

The one cool thing he did with the D7 was the slow nose up manuever, I had heard the wing was super stable, but sheesh ... he nearly stopped it and it stayed in the air .
Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 PM
ZoomZoom-RCU

It's interesting you noted this Foodstick, as this was one of the things that shocked the Allies when they first encountered this type, that it could veritably hang on its propellor and fire upwards into an enemy above it. Keen eye there.

ZZ.

Here is the same pilot, as Foodstick mentioned earlier, pulling similar moves with the DR1. The video is not as quality, but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMBZg...eature=related