Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! Which turbine to buy?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

HELP!!! Which turbine to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!! Which turbine to buy?

No one has mentioned lubricating oil (usually 5% mixed with the fuel). Some of the fuel/oil
mix is fed to the bearings & then out the back of the engine to be burnt.

Jet turbine oil has additives which are dangerous when burnt (turbine oil is not intended
to be burnt, it just goes round & round in the engine lubricating the innards like in a car).

Some turbine manufacturers like Wren recommend alternatives like less toxic, less expensive
industrial turbine oils or two stroke oils. Others like Jetcat insist on aviation turbine oils.
Not pushing a particular brand of engine (I own Jetcat & Wren, happy with both) but it may be
an issue, maybe not. Ask before you buy if it is. John.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:12 AM
Jetflyer25
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you live in the UK without a doubt the engine to buy is the Wren Jubilee. Excellent engines, Excellent service and very good price
Old 11-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Building other peoples models Ive been fortunate to install and operate almost all the brands of turbine you mention and some others bar kingTek.

I'd firstly buy one through an established UK dealer my choice is Al's hobbies as I've always received excellent trouble free service. Id recommend Jets Munt, their new generation of turbines are excellent and the service equally so. However all the turbines you mention have excellent reputations and all will be reliable, you might get unlucky but we all have issues eventually. (normally self induced in my case)

Go with what your happy with. Everyone has a preference mine's JetsMunt then Jetcat.

Good luck
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: uixkes

The JetCat P100 I like because the turbine is lighter and needs less fuel than the P90.
Is the fuel numbers verified?

As the P90 and P80 by many are said to be virtually the same turbine I thought it looked strange that the P80SE is rated 275ml/min at the Jetcat site while the P90 is rated 390ml/min. Also the P100 is rated 350ml/min at the Jetcat site but it's a smaller probably less aerodynamic engine which would speak for higher fuel consumption.

Looking at the RCJI turbine test I find the P80SE beeing tested to 364ml/min which is 33% more then the Jetcat site says. P100 or P90 I can not find in the test but it might be good to check for real life values before chooseing engine :-)

http://jetcat.de/jetcatturbinen/strahlturbinen.htm
Old 11-28-2012, 04:40 AM
GrayUK

Wren Jubilee
Great price, great turbine, great service and in the UK.

My 10 cents worth.

Paul G
Old 11-28-2012, 06:32 AM
uixkes

Hi all

thanks so much again for all the comments.

I never thought it would be so difficult to decide on a turbine. Unfortunately I don't have tons of money in the bank so choosing the right turbine is crucial as I can't afford a mistake here.

Having heard all the comments and considered all the facts I have decided to buy a JetMunts VT80.

I hope it was the right decision and I will have years of trouble free running.

cheers

Ulli

Aeroworks Extra260/DLE55, Sebart Angel 50e/Hacker A50, Weston UK MiniMagnum/SC36, Raptor 60
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Stobe777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I fly my Tornado V2 with a Jets Munt Merlin 90. Anything over that 90N is too much for this airframe. Are the wings fully sheeted in the Navy Cat as they are in the Tornado?
Anyway, a great setup. The Jetcat 90 will not fit. Gaspar has given me excellent service. so I predict good future with the VT 80.
The Wren is really cheap now (I paid so much more for my 54) and has kerostart but is technically older than the VT.
And...years of troublefree running? All turbines need some understanding. Only electric motors deliver year after year
Regards,
Tuomas
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 AM
uixkes

Hi Stobe777

I hope that by now turbines are much more trouble free compared to 10 years ago (at that time were they already available or was it still the IC ducted fan time )

I am new to turbines and I am under no illusion that turbines are more complex and potentially dangerous than a £80 sports plane with a 50 size IC engine.
And because of that reason I decided to buy the JetMunts as it is easier to set-up (with only the fuel pump and battery external) and also the manufacturer is located in the EU (and Al's Hobbies at hand for help )

The KingTech came very close and I was very, very tempted. The price is a lot lower but in the end the turbine I bought will be the one I want to keep for a long time.

I agree with you that trouble free running might be a little optimistic but I hope that my first adventure into Jet flying will be one without much hassle.

Ulli
Old 11-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with you that trouble free running might be a little optimistic but I hope that my first adventure into Jet flying will be one without much hassle.

Ulli
For trouble free flying order the turbine with an extra starter motor/bendix assembly. The kero started engines uses the startermotor alot more then the gas starters which is a heavy load for the little 300 sized motor which does not last forever.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Colin Gontier

ORIGINAL: Henke Torphammar

The JetCat P100 I like because the turbine is lighter and needs less fuel than the P90.
Is the fuel numbers verified?

As the P90 and P80 by many are said to be virtually the same turbine I thought it looked strange that the P80SE is rated 275ml/min at the Jetcat site while the P90 is rated 390ml/min. Also the P100 is rated 350ml/min at the Jetcat site but it's a smaller probably less aerodynamic engine which would speak for higher fuel consumption.

Looking at the RCJI turbine test I find the P80SE beeing tested to 364ml/min which is 33% more then the Jetcat site says. P100 or P90 I can not find in the test but it might be good to check for real life values before chooseing engine :-)

http://jetcat.de/jetcatturbinen/strahlturbinen.htm

Henke - I was looking at my specs on the Jetcat 90RXi against the 80SE and it looks like they are pulling an extra few Newtons of thrust out of the 90RXi by running at higher RPM hence the increased fuel consumption.

The 90RXi (105N)is actually rated at higher thrust than the P100 (97N) ! so if size / weight isn't an issue and one wants to go JetCat with a bit of extra punch the 90RXi is a good choice - although as others have said probably too much weight and thrust for an airframe that was not designed for turbine use. The 90RXi has not been independently verified as yet.

See specs here:

http://www.boomerang-jets.com/index....oducts_id=2066

and here

http://www.boomerang-jets.com/index....oducts_id=2067

regards

Colin