Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Hog Bipe Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Hog Bipe Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
u2builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Hog Bipe Build

I completed a Sig Hog Bipe about a month ago. It has a Saito 115, weighs just under eight pounds, and has Futaba S3152 servos, with separate aileron servos of course. I built up the elevator rather than using solid balsa from the kit and made it a little bigger. I also made the rudder a little bigger. It is covered in Monokote. I won't be flying until late April or early May, as that is when our field typically opens. I also recently built a Great Planes Super Skybolt from a kit. It is a lovely plane, but required a lot more effort than the Hog. The Hog was a pretty straightforward Bipe to build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27538.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	1732501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14915.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	1732502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10223.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	1732503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42893.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	1732504  
Old 07-12-2012, 03:35 PM
steveo64
My Feedback: (6)

Hi There,

Has anyone on this thread seen a Hog Bipe built with a slightly swept top wing? I would really like to do this but I am a little scared. I could also sweep both wings (just slightly) since I think it looks so cool.

Any comments? Maybe its a dumb idea.

Steve
Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 AM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

Thought I would give this one a bump. Are you guys still flying the ones I read about in this thread?? I got one with a 91 Saito and it is a blast to fly. I didn't build it, a friend did and he sold it to me.
It is my favorite planes in my little hanger... I am building a 4*40 though when I have time while at home. So far it has been pretty straight forward I only made one mistake so far.
Derrick
Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have mine, Took a little break from the hobby for a couple yrs and I'm getting the itch once again. I never got rid of anything because I KNEW I would be back LOL But the Hog needs a little dusting off and I have a AFR stick I picked up cheap to dust off my thumbs LOL But this spring I plan to be out flying once again, Got a few flights on a friends old trainer this fall and then realized I need to practice a little before getting my good planes like the Hog in the air.

Dauntae
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 AM
DGUY

Dauntae, Thanks for the reply maybe some of the other guys will chime in too.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 AM
beefy99

hi,

I still have mine and hope to get some flying time this year, There`s only 1 plane in my hanger I like to fly more and that is my avicraft panic

I also have a 4*40 it was the plane I built after my trainer, It sleek and flys fast with the mods I got from this website. It was ideal to reduce thinking time.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 AM
lumps

Hi all, I have one stil in the box , in Channel islands, hoping to build this winter, I assume my saito 91 is plenty power ? any mods you recomend we fly off uneven grass
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
DGUY

The Saito 91 pulls mine around with plenty of power turning a 14/6 prop. I fly off of a grass strip that is not that smooth and it does fine with a stock build and no mods to the gear placement. Lots of guys here on this thread moved their gear forward 1/2" what is that around 12 mm??
Derrick
Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Dauntae

Actually I put mine is stock location BUT angled them forward so it wouldn't nose over in the grass, Seems most clubs are grass. One I flew at was decent but the closer to home field was not so nice LOL But simply shimming the gear to angle forward did wonders. Also I upgraded the gear to ummm I can't remember who made them but may have been dubro but there a fiberglass plastic that takes the bouncing on the rough fields pretty well and won't bend like the metal gear do, I also put a removable hatch under the nose so I can easily access the fuel tank without pulling the plane apart, It's not so easy to get to the tank built like the kit shows. The Hog is a very easily modded kit with no issues with it's flying so don't be afraid to change it up a little to your liking.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 AM
lumps

Thanks for the tips, I am a very novice builder really, I been out rc flying about 10 years, I was wondering if using aliphatic glues etc are comparable to modern ca, I am in no rush and have many spare hours to build before summer arrives. I take it mot people use 1 servo per wing and std type servo is adequate.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM
PT19

Got my hog out of storage(ten years)and sure am glad to see this thread back. I sure like reading a build people have so much to say that really does help. I am moving me gear forward 1/2 inch because of that is said here. Standard servos will work on everything. I plan on useing Solatex and paint mine. Keep posting on all the built so everyone can see how it's coming.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 PM
DGUY

ORIGINAL: lumps

Thanks for the tips, I am a very novice builder really, I been out rc flying about 10 years, I was wondering if using aliphatic glues etc are comparable to modern ca, I am in no rush and have many spare hours to build before summer arrives. I take it mot people use 1 servo per wing and std type servo is adequate.
Lumps, I have two servos for aileron control. I think that is the way to go, that being said I have std servos on all control surfaces. The plane is LOTS of fun and you will like it.
Derrick
Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Dauntae

I agree the 2 servos is the way to go, One servo the move all 4 ailerons would make me a little nervous. Not sure how old your kit is but the newer kits come with a added kit for making it duel aileron but it would be real easy to do without the kit, All it was was a few pieces of wood and a small addendum for the print if I remember right. I'm sure someone might still have the paper that came with it around, I'll check around and see if I still have mine and scan it if I have it. Well if your kit doesn't already have it.

Dauntae
Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Built mine last winter. It made it through the summer. Great flying plane.

Moved the gear forward 3/4 inches.

Dual servos for the ailerons.

Reversed the upper wing hold down screws. This eliminates the screw access holes in the top of the wing. (ugly). I also did this because the plane fits in my car without taking it apart.

Made a battery tray which slides in under the fuel tank. Gives me the correct balance with out adding any weights.

Engine is a OS 91 FS.

Name:	Hf97650.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1824461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17346.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1824462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66887.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1824463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19718.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1824464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79302.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1824465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz37738.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1824466  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Fine work! Thanks for the tips.
V.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:26 PM
shepard62
My Feedback: (10)

Finished in September. Saito 100 is plenty

Name:	Wu59421.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	1824555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61449.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	1824556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94906.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1824557  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 AM
PT19

Man this two planes sure look good. Got mine on the building table. Just put the cabane plate together now I have to redo it didn't like the holes in the top wing. Did i read somewhere Sig has aluminum I Struts? Tacx sure like your cover pattern.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 AM
tacx

Pt19, Thanks

You really should not have to do anything to the cabane plate. You do have to install blind nuts to the wing hold down plate inside the wing. This way you can put screws up thru the cabane plate from the bottom. If you are going to be disassembling your plane for transport you might not want to do this, because it is difficult to get the screws in between the cabane plate and the fuse. I did it because I never take my plane apart, except for sevicing stuff, so I keep my plane together while transporting.

You can still do the mod, but just realize it is a tight spot to get the screws into and tightened. Also, if you do the mod make sure your screws are just long enough to get thru the wing plate and not thru the top of the wing
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 AM
Bkndsdl

For those of you that used the Saito 100, did you use the original motor mount? If you did, are you please with it? I am beginning mine and want to know if Ineed to swap engine mounts.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM
wickedpissa

I used Dave brown fiber mount 90FS for my Saito 100. If I remember right the original mount is for a 60 that is a small for the 100
Old 03-06-2013, 03:24 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those that have always wondered what happened to my build, it was sold. At about the time I stopped posting my build I had some health issues. Was taking prescription meds that almost cost me my life. I had hit a wall in flying and building as well and sold everything I had. My wife and I took up sailing and bought a sailboat and sailed during my physical and mental recovery. I am now back in the hobby and have my first plane close to ready to fly. I was doing a search and ran across my old thread.......I can't believe it is still active after all these years. GO BIPES.......glad to be back hope you all fly long and land safely!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Wow, welcome back Hooked. Yes, it's been a while glad you are back and well. Your thread guided me through my build and a great hog bipe. Have since built a regular Hog and fly it regularly. My Bipe took off through the woods at full speed on the 7th flight. I think it was a switch malfunction. 130 hours down the drain. Oh well, like I said jumped right on the Astro Hog, got it finished and been flying it ever since. I bought another Bipe but haven't started it yet. Have always wanted to build it since myfirst flew so well. What are you about to fly?

Jim in NC
Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 AM
Smashmaster

Amazing. I have a Hog that I worked on over 3 winters on and off. This has always been my "go to" thread when looking for info.
My hog has been ready to fly since some time in December. I will finally"try it out" some time in the next couple months or so.
Glad to hear you are OK and back in the hobby. Too bad you sold your hog. Building (and covering) 2 wings is considerably more work than just one.
Fred
Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cubfloater

I am finishing up an Escapade, my first plane back since I gave it all up. However, there was a unintended positive result of my quitting the hobby. Now it is 2.4ghz, new JR D8x, new battery types and a whole new area for me. So i will be glad to get back into the air. I have ready to fly, the new Stryker, and have a Parkzone T38 that i just repaired. I flew it a couple of times, landed hard and had to do some minor repairs. It was sitting on the floor of the garage and I accidentally dropped a Christmas tree box on it. Needless to say it was squashed...LOL. It is now ready to go and i am just waiting for warmer/calmer weather.
As far as building another kit?....not too sure if I ever will. I haven't ruled it out, but it is not on the front burner. Before I quit, I already knew i am allergic to CA...my eyes swell shut if I use it too long. Kind of weird, but it happens. I have more planes sitting in the wing to assemble and fly.. ParkZone Albatross, Fokwulfe and I sprang for the new glassair ready to fly just to practice with before I fire up the Escapade. From flying the T38, I can say it is sort of like riding a bike, but I am still rusty. I also have a Pulse 125 in the wings with a DLE20 ready assemble, and ready. I did keep one plane that needs some minor repairs, my Ultra Stick Lite with a G26 on it. It flies great, but a dead stick caused a hard landing and the horizontal stab ripped off due to poor wood underneath. I have moved the rudder and elevator servos to the rear of the fuse and have a pull pull set up. After the Escapade is done, I will move to it and get her ready.

Thanks for the kind words, it took a while for me to miss the hobby, but I am back where I like to be and can't wait to get back in the air.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

great, glad to have you back. I haven't quit but am on and off. Sometimes I just sit and look at my 4 stroke engines I've been collecting and wonder what I should put the next one on. I need another biplane and thinking about finding one at a swap meet or something maybe like a 60 size Stearman. I have a Pica Waco 60 size in the bones but just like you, don't know if I want to repair, put in mechanicals, cover, etc. Would rather find one that needs minimal work and get it in the air. Good luck on your flying and please check in.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.