Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

rampage XT. i think i killed it

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM
thundr919

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rampage XT. i think i killed it

I've had quite a few problems with this truck everytime i take it out i dont get through the whole tank and somthing is wrong, runs great, starts great, had no problems learning how to tune. But this post is for what happened today, filled it up and fired it up, evrything sounded great, my buddy was excited to see how fast it would go. i went out on pavement, did a few 75% throttle passes, and thenext passs i let it rip...full throttle.... then it just died, i figured i ran out of fuel but nope still had half tank. tried to restart it, but i couldnt even pull the starter cord. not sure what happened. can someone give me a hand?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:28 PM
ou2mame

Default RE: rampage XT. i think i killed it

sounds like the engine's flooded? maybe your high tuning is too rich, stalled the engine, could have flooded it trying to restart.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

before I get to worried, Id pull the spark plug out and take a look. could have flooded as mentioned above.

If a rod/pistion issue happened, then taking the spark plug out and looking in with a light should let you know if there is engine damage.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 PM
thundr919

i took plug out and tried pushing the piston with a dowel i had to see if it siezed, which it did. i broke it loose, now im trying to decide next move, the damage doesnt look too bad, advised by a friend to clean it up and should be fine. the main problem i have is how did this happen? all i can think is the fuel i had was sitting to long, even though shaking the fuel can before filling up. whats the max time before making a new batch of fuel? ive never had any problems like this with weedeaters. and i any1 was wondering i was using a 25-1 mix. thanks for the help

Old 11-27-2012, 04:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: thundr919

i took plug out and tried pushing the piston with a dowel i had to see if it siezed, which it did. i broke it loose, now im trying to decide next move, the damage doesnt look too bad, advised by a friend to clean it up and should be fine. the main problem i have is how did this happen? all i can think is the fuel i had was sitting to long, even though shaking the fuel can before filling up. whats the max time before making a new batch of fuel? ive never had any problems like this with weedeaters. and i any1 was wondering i was using a 25-1 mix. thanks for the help

whats the rampage manual say to use for a mixtrure? Maybe you didnt have enough oil? Or the fuel mixture was too lean and thus again, not enough oil?
I didnt have much issues with the KM baja I had, but then I ran the mixture rich and used the mixture the manual said. I havent owned a XT, so I dont know the specs on it well enough to advise on what mixture to use.

Hopefully you can get it up and running again. but even if you do, you may have shortened the life of the motor. Might want to plan on a rebuild or replacement in the near future. But hey, wrenchin' is part of the hobby
Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 PM
thundr919

thanks again for the response, i used the manuals mixture. gunna try a little higher and see what happens when i get it running again. i still have my savage XL to keep me busy.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: thundr919

thanks again for the response, i used the manuals mixture. gunna try a little higher and see what happens when i get it running again. i still have my savage XL to keep me busy.
hum....and other than the last bit where it stopped suddenly, it ran good?
confusing. If you had the correct mixture as you did, then the only thing that comes to mind is either running lean or an air leak....but either of those would effect performance and be noticable.

Oh well, hope it runs again for you. I had far more luck with my gasser than I ever had with nitros, LOL.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:32 PM
thundr919

yep other than it just shuting off that 1 time, ive had no problems with the engine at all verygood top speed and real good acceleration, the only thing i wonder about is would 40 deg weather changed somthing to make it lean, if it did i would have noticed right? the only two things i can think of is that the gas was 2 months old, or the weather change from 80 to 40deg
Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colder temps make it run lean.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

Colder temps make it run lean.
agreed.
Plus, cold temps could have made the oil thicker...and made it seperate from the gas some. I know with cars, oil pressure runs higher in the cold as the oil is thicker. The combo of running lean and having the oil be thicker could have been the cause.

Running lean, depending on "how lean", may not be all that noticable except at WOT.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM
thundr919

thanks for all the replies. goodluck with all your vehicles. ill post how it runs when the time comes.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I would think it had seized firts check the coil the spacers behind the coil breaks very easy then the coil will come down on the flywheel and make the motor not turn of the pull start hard to pull then sometimes you can get the fly wheel in the right spot and the motor will turn again. Take off the fly wheel cover on the side and check the coil.