Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX7s throttle reversed, trim wont work

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DX7s throttle reversed, trim wont work

Hi all,
I just bought a new DX7s and for some reason the trottle trim works perfectly when the throttle action is normal, but when I reverse the throttle action in the transmitter, the throttle trim does not work, not at all. I need to be able to reverse the throttle to get what I need in my setup. All due respect I am very experienced at setting up planes and I am familiar with RC electronics, so I dont need any additional help. Im just curious if anyone else has experienced and solved this little glitch that I cannot figure out in the transmitter. I called horizon and they could not explain it or offer a solution.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Mike
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DX7s throttle reversed, trim wont work

ORIGINAL: MikeEast Hi all,
I just bought a new DX7s and for some reason the trottle trim works perfectly when the throttle action is normal, but when I reverse the throttle action in the transmitter, the throttle trim does not work, not at all.
I need to be able to reverse the throttle to get what I need in my setup. All due respect I am very experienced at setting up planes and I am familiar with RC electronics, so I dont need any additional help.
Im just curious if anyone else has experienced and solved this little glitch that I cannot figure out in the transmitter.
I called horizon and they could not explain it or offer a solution. Thanks in advance for your insight. Mike
"I am familiar with RC electronics, so I dont need any additional help"

Given that you do not want a response with explanation on this forum,
suggest you correspond with the Spekrum TX firmware designer direct:
Andy Kunz

or you may find an explanation under sub section:
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" below
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 PM
alan0899

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day Mike,
What I get from your question is that you reversed the throttle action, so full throttle, is all the way DOWN, & Idle is all the way UP.
In this configuration, throttle trim would also be reversed, so slower idle would be full UP on the trim.
Is that correct?
Is this what you wanted to do?
Or did you just want to reverse the throttle servo?

Cheers
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MikeEast

Hi all,
I just bought a new DX7s and for some reason the trottle trim works perfectly when the throttle action is normal, but when I reverse the throttle action in the transmitter, the throttle trim does not work, not at all. I need to be able to reverse the throttle to get what I need in my setup. All due respect I am very experienced at setting up planes and I am familiar with RC electronics, so I dont need any additional help. Im just curious if anyone else has experienced and solved this little glitch that I cannot figure out in the transmitter. I called horizon and they could not explain it or offer a solution.

Mike
Throttle Trim only works near Idle(when the Throttle Stick is closer to the bottom of the Tx) and not over the entire range of the Throttle Stick movement. The physical position of the Throttle Stick affects the Throttle Trim, not the direction of the servo. If you Reverse the channel such that Idle is set when the Throttle Stick is pushed Up towards the Tx antenna, the Throttle Trim has no affect at that end.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi all,

Mike
Since you're experienced, you know that throttle trim only works on the lower half of throttle travel, and that it is added in as a function of its displacement from center.

That should be all the non-help you need to understand why your change doesn't work as you expected.

Andy
Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 AM
pilotpete2

Mike,
Are you saying that you want the the throttle channel to be at idle with the throttle stick at the full up position?
Pete
Old 11-28-2012, 11:35 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

No, sounds like he reversed the throttle channel and the trim quit working.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:34 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Place yer bets
Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM
pilotpete2

Reason I asked was because some folks do fly with the throttle stick reversed. The Futaba computer radios I've owned have that option in the system menu, but it also reverses the trim, so the trim works when the stick is fully up for idle and all mixing and curves work normally. Futaba calls it reverse throttle.
Pete

Old 11-28-2012, 01:26 PM
daytonarc
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

[Since you're experienced, you know that throttle trim only works on the lower half of throttle travel, and that it is added in as a function of its displacement from center.

That should be all the non-help you need to understand why your change doesn't work as you expected.

Andy

Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 PM
MikeEast

Lol, I knew it, you guys are a trip still after a few years away

I went into the tx servo setup for throttle and changed the Norm/rev option to Rev. Simple basic throttle setup decision in the radio. Ive had 10 different computer radios and I have had lots of planes where I had to set the throttle to reverse in the tx so that the throttle opens when you push up onthe stick.. The trim has never failed to function in my old DX7 or any of my other JR or Futaba computer radios.Regardless of whether normal or reverse setting. For some reason In this DX7s, after selecting reverse, The trim no longer worked.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 PM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

No, sounds like he reversed the throttle channel and the trim quit working.
Right.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:15 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is obvious to me that something is wrong with your DX7, I wonder why Horizon and Andy cant see that?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:20 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

I,m glad Libby is watching because we sure like her beautiful picture.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: ira d

It is obvious to me that something is wrong with your DX7, I wonder why Horizon and Andy cant see that?

If so that's okay... I just thought maybe someone else had this issue and there is
Something in the TX setup I am overlooking.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:56 PM
pilotpete2

Mike,
Have you tried an unused model memory, one where everything is at default to see if reversing the throttle servo results in the trim not working?
Pete
Old 11-28-2012, 04:02 PM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Mike,
Have you tried an unused model memory, one where everything is at default to see if reversing the throttle servo results in the trim not working?
Pete
I did. That was also the suggestion I got from the horizon tech rep. We tried it,,,, same problem on a different model with no programming changes except throttle reverse .
Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Rob2160

Hi all,

Mike
I just tested it on my DX7s and the trim works perfectly when the throttle is reversed. What firmware is your radio? Mine is 1.01.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:30 PM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Hi all,

Mike
I just tested it on my DX7s and the trim works perfectly when the throttle is reversed. What firmware is your radio? Mine is 1.01.

If you are referring to the number beneath export on the serial number page, it's 1.00.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 PM
MikeEast

Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

If you are referring to the number beneath export on the serial number page, it's 1.00.
Yes, that is the one.

Try updating your firmware. Just noticed they are up to 1.03 for the DX7s.

This could solve your problem..

PS.. I could be mistaken on exact details but I think my DX8 had an odd trim behaviour when new which was corrected with by a later firmware update.

I'll have to research these latest updates.. I don't really understand what the sub trim changes are.. IE

Automatically corrects sub-trim and travel for models created in version 1.01 and

earlier after prompting the user.

What exactly does it auto correct Andy?

I have 20 models in my DX7s and 4 helis that each use a bit of subtrim..

How much "re trimming" will I need if I update to 1.03 vs 1.01?

The radio works perfectly now but I like the idea of dimming the LEDand adjusting inactivity timer...

Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 PM
lourod996
My Feedback: (78)

Sell it get a Futaba.... Youll never have any issues...
Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: lourod996

Totally incorrect statement..

I have a Futaba 8FG also, started with Firmware 2.0, upgraded to 3.0, fixed some bugs..

Upgraded to 4.0, whichintroduced a bug, so 4.1 arrived.

Now up to 5.0 and all seems to be working well..

Like Spektrum the firmware upgrades usually add extra functionality too... which is a good thing.

I have a 6EX Futaba that has developed minorfaulty centering on the aileron channel.. Under 200 flights on this radio..

Not to mention the Zero GUID problem (yes I know it was a long time ago.. but just shows Futaba is not Perfect either. )

Info here.. many Futaba radios were recalled and needed fixing..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803207

Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Tluu
My Feedback: (85)

Why is it that anytime someone has a question about a problem on their spektrum radio....someone comes in and says get a futaba. I've been flying spektrum and JR system for over 6 year without problem.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Tluu

Why is it that anytime someone has a question about a problem on their spektrum radio....someone comes in and says get a futaba. I've been flying spektrum and JR system for over 6 year without problem.
Because there are people in this world that need constant validation, and doing so makes them feel better about their own individual purchases / choices..

Its the oldest pattern in human psychology.. focus on the faults of others to make you feelbetter about yourself..

its human nature...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.